norm wrote:Used a new PDA for the first time on delivery today.
Pros:
- Scans barcodes with ease.
- Really visible/clear screen
- Doesn't freeze/pause like the old bricks.
Cons:
- Styus can't be stored in the body of the PDA .. attaches to the handle instead?? (Guess what happens when the handle disappears, no stylus to use with the unit ... )
- If you scan a collection route, it stays on screen the whole time you're doing delivery, so if you place the PDA in your pocket it invariably clicks one of the collection points and loads that on screen ...
- The screen is a bit too sensitive to input, end up double pressing characters.
- The menus are a bit drawn out to get to the option you want.
- There's no option for 'Local Collect' (don't know whether that's by design or not)
Don't need the stylus, using finger works much better.
I Think they're brilliant, They should have put in a delivered to neighbour option though.
We've been using them for about 6 months now,when we first started with them the batteries would hardly go down at all during the day,brilliant,but now after a days working they are down to about 50 to 60 % so by Christmas they should be about fecked like the old bricks
Anyone know how to identify the telephone number of the PDA you are using? Had to call the RAC on it today but
apparently number ID doesn't come up at their end and they need the number to ring you back with updates - gave
my mobile number in the end but that's not the point.....
DB1100 wrote:We've been using them for about 6 months now,when we first started with them the batteries would hardly go down at all during the day,brilliant,but now after a days working they are down to about 50 to 60 % so by Christmas they should be about fecked like the old bricks
Sounds about right. Li-ion batteries can only take so many charge cycles before being seriously diminished. With no in van chargers that'll be interesting.
Mine was acting weird today... working fine for scanning post boxes and fine for anything that didn't require a signature, but everything that needed a signature it wouldn't complete the job and move off the signature page no matter how many times I pressed 'done'
No doubt it will be all my fault when I go in tomorrow.
wacko74 wrote:Mine was acting weird today... working fine for scanning post boxes and fine for anything that didn't require a signature, but everything that needed a signature it wouldn't complete the job and move off the signature page no matter how many times I pressed 'done'
No doubt it will be all my fault when I go in tomorrow.
I had that exact same thing last week. I could click back and cancel but 'done' seemed to do nothing. I even drove back to get a signature off a special again when I saw that it was frozen on the screen. I later worked out that they were eventually going about 60 seconds after clicking 'done'. Took a while to get round the duty that day!
I see they've started spoiling it already. They've added a stage. You used to hit the button and it was ready to scan. Now you have to hit the button and swipe the padlock.
wacko74 wrote:Mine was acting weird today... working fine for scanning post boxes and fine for anything that didn't require a signature, but everything that needed a signature it wouldn't complete the job and move off the signature page no matter how many times I pressed 'done'
No doubt it will be all my fault when I go in tomorrow.
I had that exact same thing last week. I could click back and cancel but 'done' seemed to do nothing. I even drove back to get a signature off a special again when I saw that it was frozen on the screen. I later worked out that they were eventually going about 60 seconds after clicking 'done'. Took a while to get round the duty that day!
Yes I did wonder if if it was just being a bit slow and dim witted, but even after about 10 minutes it was still stuck on the signature page... just had to get people to sign p739 cards for everything including specials.
Does anyone know how the manager can access the "breadcrumbs" as I have a scanned packet which I delivered but the customer says they have not received. He can then check where I scanned it.
wacko74 wrote:Mine was acting weird today... working fine for scanning post boxes and fine for anything that didn't require a signature, but everything that needed a signature it wouldn't complete the job and move off the signature page no matter how many times I pressed 'done'
No doubt it will be all my fault when I go in tomorrow.
I had that exact same thing last week. I could click back and cancel but 'done' seemed to do nothing. I even drove back to get a signature off a special again when I saw that it was frozen on the screen. I later worked out that they were eventually going about 60 seconds after clicking 'done'. Took a while to get round the duty that day!
Yes I did wonder if if it was just being a bit slow and dim witted, but even after about 10 minutes it was still stuck on the signature page... just had to get people to sign p739 cards for everything including specials.
Happened to me too, I rebooted it and all was fine again :)
Why take if off for 2 whole mins?? I doubt that's true anyway. How could it delete software just because it has no power? The silly things were made without a reboot button so I can see no other way than to take the battery out and put it back when it crashes.
Maybe somebody else has a better idea (several at work have spent the day writing out pages of codes on bits of paper! )