ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn

Got a question for a CWU Rep? And all CWU related matters.
jetblack
Posts: 974
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
Gender: Male

CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn

Post by jetblack »

fishtank wrote:
k979aaa wrote:The labour party is the only show in town for working people....
In 2015 the "working people" voted for a Tory government.
In 2016 the Scottish "working people" voted for an SNP government.
If the polls are even vaguely correct an election tomorrow would annihilate Labour.
If the Labour party are the " only show in town for working people" somebody better tell the "working people" that.
Is Corbyn the man to do that?
Based on the last 18 months....No.

The behaviour of momentum, "team Corbyn" and many of his supporters over the last few months has been an embarrassment to the Labour movement, read your own reply to dvb, read the arrogance in Jet's posts. calling people who don't agree with you Tories and right wing Blairite's, calling for deselection and basically trashing anything and everything that doesn't support Corbyn with childish accusations just isolates your own position and pushes more potential Labour voters away from the party and why? because they're not the kind of Labour supporters you or Jet like?

Well how f***ing wonderful for you, good luck building a serious opposition to a Tory government with that.
Bow out gracefully FT - you've managed to conduct yourself (fairly) well in this debate, bar the occasional ad hominem . Don't let yourself down now mate.
You lot have had your day - ever since Kinnock sold the miners short. What's that, 30 odd years ago now ?
It hasn't worked. You're all washed up. Let socialism have a chance now. If you can't help out, then kindly step aside boys. Time Farrons desperate arms are wide open :wave
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn

Post by fishtank »

baldrick wrote:
fishtank wrote:In 2015 the "working people" voted for a Tory government.
In 2016 the Scottish "working people" voted for an SNP government.
ft, the Tory Government was only elected in 2015 by 26% of the electorate. A lot of core Labour voters didn't bother to vote because they weren't enthused by a Labour Party which was virtually the same as the Tories. Others voted for UKIP or Scottish or Welsh Nationalists for the same reason.
Says who?
If that was the case the polls since the GE would be heading in the other direction and Labour would have seen at least a partial recovery in Scotland as the party moved left.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn

Post by baldrick »

fishtank wrote:Labour would have seen at least a partial recovery in Scotland as the party moved left.
Scottish Labour has moved left?! I don't think so, the new Scottish Labour Leader is hostile to Corbyn too.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn

Post by fishtank »

baldrick wrote:Only a small minority of the 172 are part of the hard right Blair fan club. The majority will accept that the membership has overwhelmingly backed Corbyn and will come to terms with that.
So the majority of those PLP members who gave Corbyn the vote of no confidence are in fact moderates after all, I think that's the point most of us have been trying to make all along.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn

Post by fishtank »

baldrick wrote:
fishtank wrote:Labour would have seen at least a partial recovery in Scotland as the party moved left.
Scottish Labour has moved left?! I don't think so, the new Scottish Labour Leader is hostile to Corbyn too.
No the national party has moved left.
Nobody from my part of Scotland gives a f**k about Labour's regional branch manager in Scotland.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn

Post by baldrick »

fishtank wrote:
baldrick wrote:Only a small minority of the 172 are part of the hard right Blair fan club. The majority will accept that the membership has overwhelmingly backed Corbyn and will come to terms with that.
So the majority of those PLP members who gave Corbyn the vote of no confidence are in fact moderates after all, I think that's the point most of us have been trying to make all along.
The majority of the 172 are politicians who will accept the new realities.
Did you see John Prescott on tv yesterday? I agree with what he said - the 172 thought that Corbyn would reach for his revolver after the resignations and (unconstitutional) no confidence vote. But he took them head on and has emerged stronger than before. They will have to accept that the membership has spoken.
If they want to sit on the back benches and sulk, that's up to them. They won't be representing their party or the people who voted for them.
If any of them want to split and form a breakaway, good riddance.
Last edited by baldrick on 26 Sep 2016, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn

Post by baldrick »

fishtank wrote:Nobody from my part of Scotland gives a f**k about Labour's regional branch manager in Scotland.
I think you are giving away your real political sympathies there ft. You don't think much of (New) Labour either do you. I don't blame you if you actually support the SNP. I don't know much about Scottish politics, but if I lived in Scotland I might well have voted SNP too. They seem to have moved from being the Tartan Tories to a progressive anti-austerity party to the left of Labour.
But in England we don't have that alternative.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn

Post by dvbuk55 »

baldrick wrote:dvbuk, I saw the coup plotters on tv yesterday standing by the bins in a back alley saying they weren't going to split. They know any split off will go the same way as the SDP.
Only a small minority of the 172 are part of the hard right Blair fan club. The majority will accept that the membership has overwhelmingly backed Corbyn and will come to terms with that.
FFS it's not the "membership" that you keep banging on about that's going to elect a labour government it's the electorate and they don't buy Corbyn and his leftist views. You only have to look at his 10 Points to realise he's a dreamer not a realist. It's all very well to preach to his Corbynista buddies who lap up his bullsh1t it's the middle ground he needs to persuade not a bunch of sycophants slapping him on the back.
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn

Post by baldrick »

I had already gathered that you thought that. :arrrghhh
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

fishtank wrote: The behaviour of momentum, "team Corbyn" and many of his supporters over the last few months has been an embarrassment to the Labour movement, read your own reply to dvb, read the arrogance in Jet's posts. calling people who don't agree with you Tories and right wing Blairite's, calling for deselection and basically trashing anything and everything that doesn't support Corbyn with childish accusations just isolates your own position and pushes more potential Labour voters away from the party and why? because they're not the kind of Labour supporters you or Jet like?
Unfortunately, the Labour Party members that don't support Corbyn are the same, Labour is pulling itself apart and neither side is blameless, or totally to blame. just look at DVBUK calling people like me Lefties, and the MPs who support Corby, Prostitutes.

I was told today that apparently, I am a traitor, even though I served 3 active service tours, all because I voted for Corbyn. It also seemingly makes me an anti-Semite (apparently, some accept the view that if you disagree with anything Israel does your against the Jewish Religion). Corbyn supporters have been called Trotsky infiltrators, is being called a Blairite any worse.

It saddens me that a Party that accepts Socialist views, and by that should accept people of any creed, colour, religion or gender, feel that just because their politics are different to their own are worthy of put downs and name calling. Corbyn is not tearing the Labour Party apart, its own members are.

However, as someone who once voted for Thatcher, and since then joined the Union and had an 180 over my politics. Why did I vote for Corbyn twice? Becuase he offers a different kind of politics. He listens to people, he doesn't have focus groups, he doesn't listen to polls, he doesn't have a Presidential approach to Governing, and he offers policies based on what he believes is best everyone, not just the party, or its electability. The previous Labour Leaders to me offered nothing except a lighter touch than the tories and a longer and more painful Austerity. Also although they were in power for 13 years, they did more for the middle class (and I understand why) but that left the real poor and "working class" disenfranchised and apathetic.

Can he win a GE, actually I firmly believe he can, but it will take a lot of work and it will have to be based on Policies and actions because one thing is for certain too many seem to believe the mantra that he can't be PM because he looks wrong.

I will admit one thing, though, show me a moderate who has a firm conviction in his beliefs and policies, and gives hope to people, I'll vote for him. Owen Smith filled none of those criteria for me.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn

Post by dvbuk55 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Can he win a GE, actually I firmly believe he can, but it will take a lot of work and it will have to be based on Policies and actions because one thing is for certain too many seem to believe the mantra that he can't be PM because he looks wrong.
You are an intelligent man and so I can't understand why you think that policies created 40 years ago are relevant to today particularly when it's based on the premise that they are actually achievable. Teebs Corbyn is not capable of leading the Labour party to an election victory and it's nothing to do with his seedy look, it's because of his lack of ability to lead. He has surrounded himself with like minded people who rather like football fans who week in week out support the team because they think they are going to deliver only to find that because they don't have the right players or tactics they are relegated to the lower division.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn

Post by k979aaa »

fishtank wrote:
k979aaa wrote:The labour party is the only show in town for working people....

In 2015 the "working people" voted for a Tory government.
In 2016 the Scottish "working people" voted for an SNP government.
If the polls are even vaguely correct an election tomorrow would annihilate Labour.
If the Labour party are the " only show in town for working people" somebody better tell the "working people" that.
Is Corbyn the man to do that?
Based on the last 18 months....No.

The behaviour of momentum, "team Corbyn" and many of his supporters over the last few months has been an embarrassment to the Labour movement, read your own reply to dvb, read the arrogance in Jet's posts. calling people who don't agree with you Tories and right wing Blairite's, calling for deselection and basically trashing anything and everything that doesn't support Corbyn with childish accusations just isolates your own position and pushes more potential Labour voters away from the party and why? because they're not the kind of Labour supporters you or Jet like?

Well how f***ing wonderful for you, good luck building a serious opposition to a Tory government with that.
And why was that most did not want NEW LABOUR and voted the green party lib dem or the snp or the other party's because of the polished pr did not cut it POLICY is king give the people what they want not just tell them I am the best for the job tell me what you can do for me and I will vote for you. This is not america we need POLICY not style over substance do we need grammar schools for the few or a better education for all.
jetblack
Posts: 974
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
Gender: Male

CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn

Post by jetblack »

baldrick wrote:
fishtank wrote:Nobody from my part of Scotland gives a f**k about Labour's regional branch manager in Scotland.
I think you are giving away your real political sympathies there ft. You don't think much of (New) Labour either do you. I don't blame you if you actually support the SNP. I don't know much about Scottish politics, but if I lived in Scotland I might well have voted SNP too. They seem to have moved from being the Tartan Tories to a progressive anti-austerity party to the left of Labour.
But in England we don't have that alternative.
My God - I can't believe I missed that one. Is that what it is FT ? You hate Corbyn cos he's going to siphon off some of the nationalist vote ?
You are a socialist, but you can't back Corbyn (the first socialist leader of the U.K. Labour Party in several generations) cos he's a unionist ??
Kind of, cutting off your nose to spite your face - in the hope that it will all one day pay off with an independent Scotland when we''ll all be eating ice cream off golden plates etc etc

FWIW I've voted SNP in the past - but now that Labour are offering a real alternative I'll be going back to Labour. I don't know how typical I'll be of the scots electorate, but there you have it anyhow.
While we are on the subject, it strikes me that UKIP could now (post Brexit) have shot it's bolt. Again, now that there is a renaissance occurring in the Labour movement (and this is a grassroots rebirth - unprecedented in my lifetime) I firmly believe that their vote might well start drifting back to Labour also.
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn

Post by k979aaa »

jetblack wrote:
baldrick wrote:
fishtank wrote:Nobody from my part of Scotland gives a f**k about Labour's regional branch manager in Scotland.
I think you are giving away your real political sympathies there ft. You don't think much of (New) Labour either do you. I don't blame you if you actually support the SNP. I don't know much about Scottish politics, but if I lived in Scotland I might well have voted SNP too. They seem to have moved from being the Tartan Tories to a progressive anti-austerity party to the left of Labour.
But in England we don't have that alternative.
My God - I can't believe I missed that one. Is that what it is FT ? You hate Corbyn cos he's going to siphon off some of the nationalist vote ?
You are a socialist, but you can't back Corbyn (the first socialist leader of the U.K. Labour Party in several generations) cos he's a unionist ??
Kind of, cutting off your nose to spite your face - in the hope that it will all one day pay off with an independent Scotland when we''ll all be eating ice cream off golden plates etc etc

FWIW I've voted SNP in the past - but now that Labour are offering a real alternative I'll be going back to Labour. I don't know how typical I'll be of the scots electorate, but there you have it anyhow.
While we are on the subject, it strikes me that UKIP could now (post Brexit) have shot it's bolt. Again, now that there is a renaissance occurring in the Labour movement (and this is a grassroots rebirth - unprecedented in my lifetime) I firmly believe that their vote might well start drifting back to Labour also.
Seconded this is a movement for the masses the SNP is a movement for independence no chance of sovereignty power without power a bunch of nationalists without a nation if they the Scot's don't want the conservatives ruling over them they best start voting LABOUR.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn

Post by dvbuk55 »

I believe that traditional labour voters will be rushing away from the polling booth not towards it as they did in Scotland. It's some time away from the election if Theresa May is to be believed but I think that dismissing UKIP is a mistake because Brexit will soon be at the forefront of politics and UKIP will no doubt be vociferous when the dealing starts.