ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New PDA's

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3731
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

New PDA's

Post by yellowbelly »

Edward Hunter wrote:If at the end of the delivery you have unsent items how do you clear them? Nobody seems to know. We just used to reboot the old ones by taking the battery out and putting it back in. Apparently been told with the new onesto dock the pda and trust the technology/ server to do the biz. Any ideas
That's what we've been told too - 'Eventually they'll go......'
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

New PDA's

Post by NewPostieUK »

Edward Hunter wrote:If at the end of the delivery you have unsent items how do you clear them? Nobody seems to know.
I don't even know how you know that there's unsent items! I don't know why I would want to send or clear unsent or whatever. I scan the code and click 'submit' and thats all I'm concerned with. No training and I don't care.

Ignorance is bliss. .
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

New PDA's

Post by eastie »

There is a white cIrcle with a number in it showing scanned items that haven't downloaded in areas that you pick up EE.
Just turn it off at the end of the day ,if it doesn't get rid of the numbers at the end of the day like you used to do with the old PDA's, it will get rid of them the following day :dance
veryn
Posts: 82
Joined: 30 Jan 2011, 09:10
Gender: Male

New PDA's

Post by veryn »

Still not had ours yet!
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

New PDA's

Post by datasaint »

Used a new PDA for the first time on delivery today.

Pros:

- Scans barcodes with ease.
- Really visible/clear screen
- Doesn't freeze/pause like the old bricks.

Cons:

- Styus can't be stored in the body of the PDA .. attaches to the handle instead?? (Guess what happens when the handle disappears, no stylus to use with the unit ... :crazy: )
- If you scan a collection route, it stays on screen the whole time you're doing delivery, so if you place the PDA in your pocket it invariably clicks one of the collection points and loads that on screen ...
- The screen is a bit too sensitive to input, end up double pressing characters.
- The menus are a bit drawn out to get to the option you want.
- There's no option for 'Local Collect' (don't know whether that's by design or not)
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

New PDA's

Post by NewPostieUK »

norm wrote: so if you place the PDA in your pocket it invariably clicks one of the collection points and loads that on screen ...
That's the best thing about it. Instead of going through menu's to lock and unlock the screen, like the old one, you just push the on/off button.

Lock the screen and you can put it in your bag or pocket (or just generally hold it) without pressing every damn option by mistake.
Zicomurphy
Posts: 579
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40
Gender: Male

New PDA's

Post by Zicomurphy »

norm wrote: - There's no option for 'Local Collect' (don't know whether that's by design or not)
There is. From memory I think it's tap Change job status then tap delivered and Local collect is listed as an option.
windermeredave
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 265
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 13:37
Gender: Male

New PDA's

Post by windermeredave »

Mine is driving me up the bloody wall. every day I log in with my pin, select outdoors and scan my route and collection, tap proceed then all i get is that annoying circle going round and round, more often than not I have to press reset in the van. then I have to enter my name again-password.then the ten 0s for the route followed by scanning the collection key fob. what a bloody joke.
Also. what do you do if it keeps telling you where to go? sat-nav
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

New PDA's

Post by Chewster »

I took one out on delivery last week for the first time, I like them. Much better than the old ones and they scan EVERYTHING (which is actually a bit of a pain in the hole, you need to have your aim right before scanning otherwise it WILL scan the wrong thing).

I saw someone up there mention something about a belt strap or something similar being needed, I've been told that that will be coming in time which I'm looking forward to. They are only just too big to be keeping in your pocket unfortunately which is mildly annoying
Mr Incognito
Posts: 64
Joined: 02 Jul 2013, 21:02
Gender: Male

New PDA's

Post by Mr Incognito »

Come back after a week off to find that someone had dropped mine and cracked the screen... seems that the don't bounce very well.
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

New PDA's

Post by Mobey »

windermeredave wrote:then the ten 0s for the route followed by scanning the collection key fob. what a bloody joke.
Also. what do you do if it keeps telling you where to go? sat-nav
I have found its best to put 1234567890 as that's easier on the eyes instead of seeing loads of 0's.

With regards to the navigation, if you click onto it there is a 3 dot drop down menu somewhere on the screen. If you tap that it will come up with end navigation. I'll have a look tomorrow if I remember.

I've only been in the job three weeks so forgive me if this is teaching you to suck eggs if you have been in the job for a while.

I was delivering the other day and went to someone's house put the mail through the door and then I hear a loud ringing tone. Thinking it was the householder phoning someone on speaker as their windows open. Went to the next house and it continued. Looked in the bag and it was the pda. How on earth it managed to phone someone, I do not know!!
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

New PDA's

Post by eastie »

norm wrote: Cons:

- Styus can't be stored in the body of the PDA .. attaches to the handle instead?? (Guess what happens when the handle disappears, no stylus to use with the unit ... :crazy: )
- If you scan a collection route, it stays on screen the whole time you're doing delivery, so if you place the PDA in your pocket it invariably clicks one of the collection points and loads that on screen ...
- The screen is a bit too sensitive to input, end up double pressing characters.
- The menus are a bit drawn out to get to the option you want.
- There's no option for 'Local Collect' (don't know whether that's by design or not)
take the stylus and handle off the PDA and get the punters to sign with their nail, used the PDA's for 4 months trust me its the best way
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

New PDA's

Post by Mobey »

It's 6 dots on the bottom left.

It will bring up a new menu and will ask you if you want to cancel the current route? Select yes on the right. Then should be done.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

New PDA's

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

dubnut wrote:No comments about the location services always running ?
Was expecting plenty of conspiracy theories about tracking us all and hidden timings of duties.
Breadcrumbs (or whatever it's called) can be monitored by managers to view how any OPG does their delivery, or at least where their PDA goes.

Managers cannot solely rely on the app to discipline an OPG, they need other evidence, from what I gather.

Let's pretend Jim cuts off everyday to finish on time, as is his right. If the managers log in to the Breadcrumbs app to monitor Jim and then discover he "hides" in an alley for longer than his break allowance, to make sure he does not get back too early having said how much of the delivery he feels he can do in his contract hours, the managers would need to catch him in the act in person to do anything about this.

There is supposed to be a simple way of turning off Breadcrumbs on the PDA, I've not found it yet, but I'm not that high-tech savy. :wink:
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12202
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

New PDA's

Post by SpacePhoenix »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:There is supposed to be a simple way of turning off Breadcrumbs on the PDA, I've not found it yet, but I'm not that high-tech savy. :wink:
More than likely it'll only be able to switched off by IT