ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by postslippete »

Off the top of my head


If its a HCT left unattended for some time then I would agree with Steve. Get it locked up somewhere, even if it means walking 400 yards back to it. Otherwise this manager could make a case to dismiss you on the grounds of mail integrity (security of the mail).
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
daverowland
Posts: 10
Joined: 27 Feb 2016, 06:33
Gender: Male

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by daverowland »

as the locks change a lot on our fleet of HCT's, we have no keys to secure ours
woking
Posts: 64
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:23
Gender: Male
Location: wokingham

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by woking »

today out working on a shared van duty with a wpc & new start.pulled up on a loop to find 2 managers,so wpc had a manager with him & one with me doing observations & ticking boxes,got pulled for no posting peg (a dog ate that ages ago)got pulled for not delivering to neighbour ( 2nd day on this round so I don't know who's a trustworthy neighbour or not)got pulled for not walking on the grass verge I used the road for fear of getting told off for walking on the grass,oh & got pulled for not wearing a hi vis.text & phoned union rep at 1.30 still no reply.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by cpsteve »

woking wrote:today out working on a shared van duty with a wpc & new start.pulled up on a loop to find 2 managers,so wpc had a manager with him & one with me doing observations & ticking boxes,got pulled for no posting peg (a dog ate that ages ago)got pulled for not delivering to neighbour ( 2nd day on this round so I don't know who's a trustworthy neighbour or not)got pulled for not walking on the grass verge I used the road for fear of getting told off for walking on the grass,oh & got pulled for not wearing a hi vis.text & phoned union rep at 1.30 still no reply.
Grass verges are not paths so they are wrong to pull you up on that if you fell on wet grass verge you would be blameworthy.
woking
Posts: 64
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:23
Gender: Male
Location: wokingham

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by woking »

cpsteve wrote:
woking wrote:today out working on a shared van duty with a wpc & new start.pulled up on a loop to find 2 managers,so wpc had a manager with him & one with me doing observations & ticking boxes,got pulled for no posting peg (a dog ate that ages ago)got pulled for not delivering to neighbour ( 2nd day on this round so I don't know who's a trustworthy neighbour or not)got pulled for not walking on the grass verge I used the road for fear of getting told off for walking on the grass,oh & got pulled for not wearing a hi vis.text & phoned union rep at 1.30 still no reply.
Grass verges are not paths so they are wrong to pull you up on that if you fell on wet grass verge you would be blameworthy.
the verge was lumpy that's whyI avoided it.the manager had a pop at me for no hi vis but he wasn't even wearing one!after being spot checked on Saturday & now having management walking next to me I'm about to throw in the towel,oh & next week I'm being shipped out to another office & that's never happened in the 11 months I've been here.this is all seriously getting me down.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by Postie45 »

see union rep or area rep, if they start talking to your managers mentioning bullying, then theyll likely back off. Only quit if thats what you want to do, dont be bullied out of your job !
woking
Posts: 64
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:23
Gender: Male
Location: wokingham

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by woking »

Postie45 wrote:see union rep or area rep, if they start talking to your managers mentioning bullying, then theyll likely back off. Only quit if thats what you want to do, dont be bullied out of your job !
phoned and text union rep at 1.30 & no reply.I really don't want to leave but the management are turning me into a bag of nerves.utter trash the lot of em
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

dfubster wrote:I thought you didn't have to wear the hi-viz on delivery? i thought it was only while in the yard and around vans etc?
Was about to write the same!
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by cpsteve »

I believe you can claim any extra travel costs and your travel time back to your office taken off the finish time if you are moved to another office but check with your rep.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3725
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by yellowbelly »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:
dfubster wrote:I thought you didn't have to wear the hi-viz on delivery? i thought it was only while in the yard and around vans etc?
Was about to write the same!
Doesn't it depend on rules/guidance/risks noted in the walk log. I drive a rural but have to stop on a main road to deliver to gated properties where there is no access to drive
into the driveway (gate almost on the roadside) - always wear my hi-viz in this situation. Also I've been on 'walks' where there is no pavement on one or either side - again make sure I'm wearing my hi-viz.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by steve1873 »

woking wrote:
cpsteve wrote:
woking wrote:today out working on a shared van duty with a wpc & new start.pulled up on a loop to find 2 managers,so wpc had a manager with him & one with me doing observations & ticking boxes,got pulled for no posting peg (a dog ate that ages ago)got pulled for not delivering to neighbour ( 2nd day on this round so I don't know who's a trustworthy neighbour or not)got pulled for not walking on the grass verge I used the road for fear of getting told off for walking on the grass,oh & got pulled for not wearing a hi vis.text & phoned union rep at 1.30 still no reply.
Grass verges are not paths so they are wrong to pull you up on that if you fell on wet grass verge you would be blameworthy.
the verge was lumpy that's whyI avoided it.the manager had a pop at me for no hi vis but he wasn't even wearing one!after being spot checked on Saturday & now having management walking next to me I'm about to throw in the towel,oh & next week I'm being shipped out to another office & that's never happened in the 11 months I've been here.this is all seriously getting me down.
Do not use your own vehicle - tell them you do not have the adequate insurance cover (Business) as Social & Domestic only covers you for travelling to and from your USUAL place of work. And go to your home office for your start time and finish at home office at finishing time. The travelling to and from are part of your contracted hours. And it is their responsibility to provide you with transportation.
woking
Posts: 64
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:23
Gender: Male
Location: wokingham

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by woking »

woking wrote:today yet again I was spot checked by the same 2 managers as 3 months ago.I've been out on a Hct delivery this week & have had no training just a map shoved in my hand.parked the Hct outside some old people's flats unlocked as there was nowhere to lock it up to,after coming out of the flats up pulls a RM van & out pops one of the managers saying my trolley had been unlocked for 10 minutes.I said there was nowhere to lock it up to so the manager in the van laughed.I then asked if I was on their hit list as this was the second time in 3 months they've pursued me while out on delivery.I said to them well this is what happens when no training is given,with that the manager who was driving started to stutter & was lost for words.they both drove off after i said that.can they do anything to me?
update on what's happened since my spot check & observation.was called in the office & sort of had an apology.the manager who found my trolley unlocked had been back to the flats & agreed that there was nowhere to lock the trolley up to,also he said that he promised I would be left alone now for a while as since July they've checked on me 3 times.I asked about wearing a hi-vis while out on delivery & that is up to us if we wear them.I'm still being moved to another office but I'm getting a lift with another postie who's been moved to that office.questioned the union rep about the car insurance needed to travel to another office he said he'd made enquiries & as long as you have commuting to one work place on the insurance we're covered (it doesn't affect me as I'm getting a lift but I'm inclined to believe he's wrong )anyway after many sleepless nights worrying I can chill a little now.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

woking wrote:questioned the union rep about the car insurance needed to travel to another office he said he'd made enquiries & as long as you have commuting to one work place on the insurance we're covered (it doesn't affect me as I'm getting a lift but I'm inclined to believe he's wrong )
He is wrong. It will affect you if there is an accident. :sad:

http://www.confused.com/motor-insurance ... ses-of-use" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Social and commuting

This provides cover as above for social, domestic and pleasure use, as well as for driving back and forth to a permanent place of work.

Travelling to a railway station en route to work, where the car is parked, is usually classed as commuting. Dropping someone else off at their place of work may also be classed as commuting by your insurer.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by Chewster »

On the topic of HCT duties, I don't have one single place on the whole duty to secure it too. Not that I have a padlock to secure it anyway...

And also, all duties are not equal so nobody should be saying that some duties do or do not need training, don't be so up yourself. My HCT duty is probably the most complicated (town) round in the office due to frame not being in order and it being in very old part of town with lots of small closes and non numbered houses and new houses being built in totally random places...if it weren't for training and for being from that side of town anyway then I would not have had a clue. But I've done other HCT duties that can be done with your eyes closed
windermeredave
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 265
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 13:37
Gender: Male

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by windermeredave »

All streets have lamp posts