ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....

Post by Dorset Plodder »

:whistle "The Great Escape Theme" :whistle Another one over the wire . Congratulations Busted! agree with your observations, especially concerning the Stress & Reserve Problems. Some of the Old Buggers that have done the same old duty for the last 15 years have NO IDEA of the stress of perhaps being swapped onto 3 different duties in one day :crazy:

I agree that most most of us have probably worked in worse jobs, but think how much better this would be with a bit of common sense management. Hope your next job works out well. Good luck! :thumbup
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
koolishy67
Posts: 665
Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 21:02
Gender: Male

IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....

Post by koolishy67 »

Dorset Plodder wrote::whistle "The Great Escape Theme" :whistle Another one over the wire . Congratulations Busted! agree with your observations, especially concerning the Stress & Reserve Problems. Some of the Old Buggers that have done the same old duty for the last 15 years have NO IDEA of the stress of perhaps being swapped onto 3 different duties in one day :crazy:

I agree that most most of us have probably worked in worse jobs, but think how much better this would be with a bit of common sense management. Hope your next job works out well. Good luck! :thumbup
:Applause :Applause well said
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....

Post by Postie45 »

Dorset Plodder wrote::whistle "The Great Escape Theme" :whistle Another one over the wire . Congratulations Busted! agree with your observations, especially concerning the Stress & Reserve Problems. Some of the Old Buggers that have done the same old duty for the last 15 years have NO IDEA of the stress of perhaps being swapped onto 3 different duties in one day :crazy:

I agree that most most of us have probably worked in worse jobs, but think how much better this would be with a bit of common sense management. Hope your next job works out well. Good luck! :thumbup
to be honest most people nowadays who have been in the job for about 10-15 years have had to go through being dicked about in the early years.
pants123

IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....

Post by pants123 »

Best of luck for the future......
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Postie45 wrote: to be honest most people nowadays who have been in the job for about 10-15 years have had to go through being dicked about in the early years.
I agree it's been pretty crap for a while now Postie. I believe it has a lot to do with which Area and Delivery Offices you've been working in, as to when the crap started and how fast it went down hill! :hmmmm

Personally the shite REALLY started to hit the fan in 2008, which tied in with the Bankers Screwing everything up! :mad RM then really started to tighten it's belt and we had the No Overtime, No Recruitment, Only Part Time Contracts Era. :thumbdown

I am still surprised at the amount of Posties that still have 30 odd years service though. They're the ones that tell stories of going out on a bike with 2 bags of mail....... coming back and taking out another FULL Duty ...AND still finishing early! :shock: These are the guys I ignore when they say, "We all used to have it hard when we first joined" Yeah Right! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....

Post by bustedflush »

Ho ho went in the other day to take my uniform back. Immediately met by posties moaning "They aren't replacing you or the other guy gone" and "It's been busy too" and had to chuckle to myself. It was odd going into the DO and seeing people again when I had been away 10 weeks or so sick before my IHR. I listened to a few moans, and that along with seeing the 'cave' filled with yorks piled high with boxes and bundles of door-doors for next week simply made me feel relief and I hate to say it, pity for those that have to stay there.

It hit me how lucky I am to be out and have the opportunity to work from home now and earn similar money. I reckon come winter I will feel a slight guilt when my postie leans forward in the slashing rain to deliver me some unwanted crap or other and I'm sitting in the warm! He'll get a tip though, that's one thing I guarantee.
ziggy
Posts: 114
Joined: 10 Jul 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male
Location: Back o Beyond

IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....

Post by ziggy »

Busted, before you left were you off with your arthritis or was your leaving an agreement with yourself and OH?
Ziggy
bazygarn
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3
Joined: 11 Dec 2008, 07:37
Gender: Male

IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....

Post by bazygarn »

I also left Royal Mail end of April on ihr. Due to arthritis in my right hip and both knees. Was on the sick for 5 months before finishing.overall the pain has decreased considerably .ive got no regrets it was the right decision for me .All the best
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....

Post by bustedflush »

bazygarn wrote:I also left Royal Mail end of April on ihr. Due to arthritis in my right hip and both knees. Was on the sick for 5 months before finishing.overall the pain has decreased considerably .ive got no regrets it was the right decision for me .All the best

Ziggy - I had had 2 previous absences each time a different joint was diagnosed. This third time I was signed off 2 months, during which I had a few physio sessions and OHA involvement. They contacted my GP who had said I wouldn't be doing the walking again. OHA spoke to me on the phone and their Doc said in his opinion I should be IHR'd. 2 days later manager rang me and sent the 'offer' to sign and gave me a appointment time to go in if I disputed the decision. I didn't. Once I had been off for several weeks and my life had improved immeasurably there's no way I was going back to the pain and stress.

bazygam Yes, same here, arthritis in 3 joints, decreased pain now. Who could be in pain, get signed off and the see the pain recede and NOT take IHR??
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....

Post by greengiant »

bustedflush wrote:
bazygarn wrote:I also left Royal Mail end of April on ihr. Due to arthritis in my right hip and both knees. Was on the sick for 5 months before finishing.overall the pain has decreased considerably .ive got no regrets it was the right decision for me .All the best

Ziggy - I had had 2 previous absences each time a different joint was diagnosed. This third time I was signed off 2 months, during which I had a few physio sessions and OHA involvement. They contacted my GP who had said I wouldn't be doing the walking again. OHA spoke to me on the phone and their Doc said in his opinion I should be IHR'd. 2 days later manager rang me and sent the 'offer' to sign and gave me a appointment time to go in if I disputed the decision. I didn't. Once I had been off for several weeks and my life had improved immeasurably there's no way I was going back to the pain and stress.

bazygam Yes, same here, arthritis in 3 joints, decreased pain now. Who could be in pain, get signed off and the see the pain recede and NOT take IHR??

Definitely. Unless financially IHR isn't practical, I'd say for anyone their health is more important than a job.
While my knee seems to be holding up after surgery (microfracture surgery on the knee cap lining to regenerate missing cartilage, and a floating lump of cartilage removed from the joint) for damaged cartilage last year, will it still OK 5 years down the line? :hmmmm
stephen.cal87
Posts: 72
Joined: 19 May 2016, 12:59
Gender: Male

IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....

Post by stephen.cal87 »

Great to read your story Busted glad everything has worked out for the best. That was a pretty good IHR offer after 4 years of service. My knee has been giving me jip for awhile now I'm at a cross roads as to where my future with Royal Mail lies. If I'd the chance to leave in the morning I would. As they say your health is your wealth.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....

Post by bustedflush »

stephen.cal87 wrote:Great to read your story Busted glad everything has worked out for the best. That was a pretty good IHR offer after 4 years of service. My knee has been giving me jip for awhile now I'm at a cross roads as to where my future with Royal Mail lies. If I'd the chance to leave in the morning I would. As they say your health is your wealth.

Trust me from experience - IF you suspect you have a serious or ongoing condition and are in discomfort daily, go to your GP and get signed-off while they investigate it. Get it scanned/x-rayed and see where to go from there. Get OHA involved especially if it's permanent like arthritis - it'll never get better and the joint will diminish rapidly if you keep pounding it daily. If it transpires it will permanently affect your ability to do the job don't be bullied into working the joint - managers like OHA when it means they can IHR an 'awkward' OPG but hate them when they are forced to find you alternative duties or make allowances.
stephen.cal87
Posts: 72
Joined: 19 May 2016, 12:59
Gender: Male

IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....

Post by stephen.cal87 »

bustedflush wrote:
stephen.cal87 wrote:Great to read your story Busted glad everything has worked out for the best. That was a pretty good IHR offer after 4 years of service. My knee has been giving me jip for awhile now I'm at a cross roads as to where my future with Royal Mail lies. If I'd the chance to leave in the morning I would. As they say your health is your wealth.

Trust me from experience - IF you suspect you have a serious or ongoing condition and are in discomfort daily, go to your GP and get signed-off while they investigate it. Get it scanned/x-rayed and see where to go from there. Get OHA involved especially if it's permanent like arthritis - it'll never get better and the joint will diminish rapidly if you keep pounding it daily. If it transpires it will permanently affect your ability to do the job don't be bullied into working the joint - managers like OHA when it means they can IHR an 'awkward' OPG but hate them when they are forced to find you alternative duties or make allowances.
Thanks for the advice Busted. Ive had knee discomfort for years now due to an injury when I was young. Having said that I'm only 30 now but the pain & discomfort is becoming more a daily issue. My DOM tends to think you are a young man there cant possibly be anything wrong with you.... I will seek medical advice & see how things pan out!