ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

can anyone help me?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ellzbellz
Posts: 10
Joined: 06 Jan 2016, 21:47
Gender: Female

can anyone help me?

Post by ellzbellz »

abzo wrote:
ellzbellz wrote:Are you on a shared van route? If not, then don't worry TOO much. Quite a lot of posties go in before their start time anyway which is probably why they're getting out before you.
You'll be faster eventually and then it'll become mindnumbing.
No I have been placed on a trolley duty by my dom who informed me that after about six weeks I will be put onto a shared van duty. is that more difficult compared to trolley duties? as I did do my current trolley duty using a van once and just had to work out of the van rather than trolley. And in my delivery office majority of the staff are FT posties so they usually start at 6:30 in the morning and do most of the sorting of their rounds and the PTers rounds. My round usually starts off with easy flats and apartments with postboxes all together on tge ground floor but ends with long streets and big estates that have plenty of mail and packets. I have an idea which i would like to try on one of the quiet days and that is to start where i would normally finish my walk and finish where i would normally start in all essense doing the difficult sections first and the easy ones at the end.
Sounds like you have a plan worked out already.
Shared van should be easier as you got an extra pair of hands to help with any problems but the drawback is either one of you could be waiting for the other back at the van after doing a loop.

I'm part time but my mail sort doesn't get done for me so you're lucky there!

Be patient :)
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

can anyone help me?

Post by wacko74 »

If you go on to a van share duty you'll probably find more of your indoor work will have been done for you, assuming it's your partner prepping the frame, as they will have the incentive to want to get out at a reasonable time.
abzo
Posts: 42
Joined: 11 Jul 2016, 00:36
Gender: Male

can anyone help me?

Post by abzo »

thanks for your advice guys, lets see how it all goes when I begin my vanshare in 3 weeks time. Moving on today was a light day and I was looking forward to finishing on time. However when I got back to the DO two linos decided to gang up on me to try and get me to do the absorption which I told them I would do should I have time at the end of my walk. Unfortunately I didnt and wanted to finish/ cut off but they forced me to go out otherwise I will face disiplinary tomorrow morning due to "wilful delay". funny thing is I thought I was following the correct cutting off procedure as I informed them during my walk that I wont be able to take out the absorption as that will be making me go over my time. Tomorrow I'll be getting my union rep and speaking to them about this and whether I should be forced to do absorption even after I informed them that I will cut off.

What do you guys think of this was I wrong in following the cutting off procedure and is absorption something which should be done regardless of whether u go over your time?
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

can anyone help me?

Post by Postie45 »

they have bullied and harrassed you into doing overtime, id get the union rep to bring this up too and follow through with a complaint about it. Yes if you told the managers before you left you may not have time you have followed correct procedure.
abzo
Posts: 42
Joined: 11 Jul 2016, 00:36
Gender: Male

can anyone help me?

Post by abzo »

Postie45 wrote:they have bullied and harrassed you into doing overtime, id get the union rep to bring this up too and follow through with a complaint about it. Yes if you told the managers before you left you may not have time you have followed correct procedure.
I informed one of them over the phone during my walk that i will be able complete my walk. But not the extra absorption that he had given me as it would mean going over my time which i did not want to do as i wanted to cut off and leave on time. However back at the DO him and a senior manager both ganged up on me to try and get me to do the absorption, threatening me with disciplinary the following day. And another thing they mentioned is that I will need to come in 30 mins earlier tomorrow as they mentioned its paid overtime so that i can get tomorrows absorption done. I wanted to refuse as it felt like its forced overtime. But tomorrow i will be speaking to my union rep about that as well and having a meeting with these managers to find out whether they are in the right to do that. And as you mention i will do my best to lodge a complaint as i felt uncomfortable being forced to do something which i was not happy with and it all happened when the DO was empty so i have no witness and the union rep was long gone. :mad :mad :mad
lightningpostman
Posts: 271
Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
Gender: Male

can anyone help me?

Post by lightningpostman »

they cant force you to do no paid overtime, if you havnt signed for it tell them no,

its just there way to get you to do the absortion even if your 1-2 hours over, they paid you for it so it has to be done.

With a straight face say no thanks i will start when i am due to start and finish at my finish time.
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

can anyone help me?

Post by Nondescript »

Royal Mail managers are pure filth, plain and simple. Like Jimmy Saville, they prey on the weak and unitiated, forcing them to do things they don't want to do. Vile nonce scum. Lock them all up.
abzo
Posts: 42
Joined: 11 Jul 2016, 00:36
Gender: Male

can anyone help me?

Post by abzo »

I agree with both of you spoke to my union rep and he had a word with the manager. Seems like there is a clause in my contract that allows for 'flexibility' on my side. But what he did tell me was that the absorption will only be for this week so i shouldn't be placed on any further absorption's from next week on wards.

Also can someone tell me how rotating rest days work. I will have my current rest day for this week on Saturday. so for next week would my rest day be on Monday,? if so would it mean i get 3 consecutive days off if taken from this week saturday, Sunday and then Monday next week.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

can anyone help me?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

abzo wrote:I agree with both of you spoke to my union rep and he had a word with the manager. Seems like there is a clause in my contract that allows for 'flexibility' on my side. But what he did tell me was that the absorption will only be for this week so i shouldn't be placed on any further absorption's from next week on wards.

Also can someone tell me how rotating rest days work. I will have my current rest day for this week on Saturday. so for next week would my rest day be on Monday,? if so would it mean i get 3 consecutive days off if taken from this week saturday, Sunday and then Monday next week.

Yes.

But as you have seen already, its worth double checking to make sure.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
abzo
Posts: 42
Joined: 11 Jul 2016, 00:36
Gender: Male

can anyone help me?

Post by abzo »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
abzo wrote:I agree with both of you spoke to my union rep and he had a word with the manager. Seems like there is a clause in my contract that allows for 'flexibility' on my side. But what he did tell me was that the absorption will only be for this week so i shouldn't be placed on any further absorption's from next week on wards.

Also can someone tell me how rotating rest days work. I will have my current rest day for this week on Saturday. so for next week would my rest day be on Monday,? if so would it mean i get 3 consecutive days off if taken from this week saturday, Sunday and then Monday next week.

Yes.

But as you have seen already, its worth double checking to make sure.

And that exactly is what i did today lol. I checked with the manager regarding the absorption and he said it is just for this week. so i just got another day to do this c**p and then it should be back to normal from next week. :cuppa