ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Newcastle Post Office worker Sue MacFarlane braves the shave for cancer charity

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Newcastle Post Office worker Sue MacFarlane braves the shave for cancer charity

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/watch-ne ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

POST office worker Sue Macfarlane has 'braved the shave' for a cancer charity.

The 50-year-old decided to have her locks cut off just weeks after losing her father-in-law to bone marrow cancer.

James Macfarlane, from the Westlands, died on July 19 at the age of 83.

Now grandmother-of-one Sue has had her head shaved at a fundraising event, which was held in front of the post office and Ryman store in Newcastle.

She said: “With my father-in-law gone, and seeing family members and customers being diagnosed, makes my heart go out to them.

“You would be hard pushed to find a family in the country who has not been touched by cancer in some way.

Every single person out there will know someone affected by cancer. It is a wicked and cruel disease.

“I was nervous about doing the Brave the Shave, but I kept telling myself I was doing something good."

Her challenge was part of a national fund-raising campaign.

Sue, from Newcastle, added: “People are showing their solidarity with people going through cancer treatment.

“I'm doing this through choice, whereas for them it is necessary and happens through treatment. In reality, they are the brave ones."

“The support I've had from everybody – friends, family, colleagues and customers – means everything to me.

"It also meant I couldn't back out. I set myself a target of about £500, so I'm absolutely made up to pass that."

Sue has raised about £550 for Macmillan Cancer Research, but is hoping to bring in even more funds.

Her husband John enthusiastically took the clippers to his wife's hair to support her head shave.

The 51-year-old said: “Sue is really brave to do something like this.

Read more: VIDEO: See's hairdresser Shirley's amazing headshave - gone in 60 seconds!

“She has had so much support from everyone and I was loving shaving her head. It was quite an emotional day."

Amanda Shaw, from Kidsgrove, is one of the counter clerks at the post office.

“She has been fantastic," said the 45-year-old.

“Sue is very brave and we all know why she's doing it.

“She has taken her hair off by choice, but cancer patients have to go through this during treatment.

“All the staff were watching and supporting her. Sue is a part of the management here and we have a good team."

Ryman's charitable trust may also be making a donation to Sue's cause.

To donate to Sue, visit her web page at bravetheshave.org.uk/shavers/sue-macfarlane.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.