ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dan1986ccfc
Posts: 63
Joined: 07 Dec 2009, 16:58
Gender: Male

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by dan1986ccfc »

I thought if you took a van home it had to be parked in a secure place, e.g garage or atleast a driveway
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by eastie »

dan1986ccfc wrote:I thought if you took a van home it had to be parked in a secure place, e.g garage or atleast a driveway
In a safe place you mean like delivering a parcel :Very Happy
dan1986ccfc
Posts: 63
Joined: 07 Dec 2009, 16:58
Gender: Male

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by dan1986ccfc »

eastie wrote:
dan1986ccfc wrote:I thought if you took a van home it had to be parked in a secure place, e.g garage or atleast a driveway
In a safe place you mean like delivering a parcel :Very Happy
:Very Happy yeah so when it goes wrong there'll be trouble
simply_the_best
Posts: 594
Joined: 24 Sep 2007, 10:29

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by simply_the_best »

dan1986ccfc wrote:I thought if you took a van home it had to be parked in a secure place, e.g garage or atleast a driveway

Seems like one of the neighbours is keeping an eye on it for him all weekend :thumbup
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by Justanotherstar »

csnn84 wrote:Saving money? A whole 3 pound a day to save on personal mileage on a 10 round trip. But can afford 2 cars. One which is never used? If you want to save money surely you scrap the second car if you constantly have a work vehicle? That's what I did, so I can get all my cars on my own drive at night. But thanks for nicer responses. I understand if there is no where to park the vehicles so staff may have to take them home.

Thanks Simon.

ok lets take your flippant approximation of £3 a day...Not much is it?
Now multiply that by 5 (assuming Postie doesn't work his rest day...which he probably does if he takes a van home)
Then multiply that by 46 (assuming Postie takes 6 weeks holiday)

That's £690 over the year...Would you be willing to pay that when there is an option to save you almost £700 a year?

Let's not forget the extra he would have to pay on his insurance to commute, more frequent tyre/wear part replacements,

All adds up.
csnn84
Posts: 4
Joined: 06 Aug 2016, 15:08
Gender: Male

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by csnn84 »

Justanotherstar wrote:
csnn84 wrote:Saving money? A whole 3 pound a day to save on personal mileage on a 10 round trip. But can afford 2 cars. One which is never used? If you want to save money surely you scrap the second car if you constantly have a work vehicle? That's what I did, so I can get all my cars on my own drive at night. But thanks for nicer responses. I understand if there is no where to park the vehicles so staff may have to take them home.

Thanks Simon.

ok lets take your flippant approximation of £3 a day...Not much is it?
Now multiply that by 5 (assuming Postie doesn't work his rest day...which he probably does if he takes a van home)
Then multiply that by 46 (assuming Postie takes 6 weeks holiday)

That's £690 over the year...Would you be willing to pay that when there is an option to save you almost £700 a year?

Let's not forget the extra he would have to pay on his insurance to commute, more frequent tyre/wear part replacements,

All adds up.
Great maths.
Surely if you had a van at all times you would sell one of your 2 cars which you don't use due to having a van at al times? That's £500 at least for insurance, another £50 for tax, yearly maintenance and the cost of the car itself which probably is in the region of 10,000. Now that's a saving, he could even use his drive then to try and keep the small amount of parking available for the street which from what people are saying on here is what's meant to happen for security reasons. Like I said first post. I was just asking for advise as I know postman who work for different areas and they don't get the luxury of taking there vehicles home. That's the whole reason I asked. I understand the reasons people have gave on why some areas get the chance to take them home. I have a company van, I sold my own car to make a good saving and I save 5 times that amount every year you have stated. I respect the reasoning and as long as he doesn't block my driveway which he does with others he wont be hearing from me. But the blocking of drives is not fair and that's why people on the street are beginning to get cheesed off
Thanks again for your response
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Taking work vans home overnight Derby

Post by Justanotherstar »

csnn84 wrote:
Justanotherstar wrote:
csnn84 wrote:Saving money? A whole 3 pound a day to save on personal mileage on a 10 round trip. But can afford 2 cars. One which is never used? If you want to save money surely you scrap the second car if you constantly have a work vehicle? That's what I did, so I can get all my cars on my own drive at night. But thanks for nicer responses. I understand if there is no where to park the vehicles so staff may have to take them home.

Thanks Simon.

ok lets take your flippant approximation of £3 a day...Not much is it?
Now multiply that by 5 (assuming Postie doesn't work his rest day...which he probably does if he takes a van home)
Then multiply that by 46 (assuming Postie takes 6 weeks holiday)

That's £690 over the year...Would you be willing to pay that when there is an option to save you almost £700 a year?

Let's not forget the extra he would have to pay on his insurance to commute, more frequent tyre/wear part replacements,

All adds up.
Great maths.
Surely if you had a van at all times you would sell one of your 2 cars which you don't use due to having a van at al times? That's £500 at least for insurance, another £50 for tax, yearly maintenance and the cost of the car itself which probably is in the region of 10,000. Now that's a saving, he could even use his drive then to try and keep the small amount of parking available for the street which from what people are saying on here is what's meant to happen for security reasons. Like I said first post. I was just asking for advise as I know postman who work for different areas and they don't get the luxury of taking there vehicles home. That's the whole reason I asked. I understand the reasons people have gave on why some areas get the chance to take them home. I have a company van, I sold my own car to make a good saving and I save 5 times that amount every year you have stated. I respect the reasoning and as long as he doesn't block my driveway which he does with others he wont be hearing from me. But the blocking of drives is not fair and that's why people on the street are beginning to get cheesed off
Thanks again for your response

We're not allowed to use them for personal use, I'm assuming his wife drives too hence the need for 2 cars.