ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

driver allowance

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
lightningpostman
Posts: 271
Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
Gender: Male

driver allowance

Post by lightningpostman »

shepherdess wrote:Totally agree the driver has a lot more responsibility than the other member of staff in the van and this should be reflected in the pay even if it's only 10p or 20p an hour lots of stress and aggravation but no more money.
bravo, thank you , i have had this opinion for quite some time, as the driver is at risk no one else,

who can we also flag this up with?

as a driver you should be entitled to a driver allowance ...................
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16716
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

driver allowance

Post by clashcityrocker »

I think as a passenger you should be entitled to a passenger allowance.
Who should I take this up with?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

driver allowance

Post by Surreypostie »

I repeat, if you are carrying out your duties, do not park on zig zags on crossings, brow of a hill etc, you can stop anywhere else including in bus lanes to carry out your delivery work and if you are issued a fine it will be overturned. There used to be a driving allowance, now we are all drivers. My partner and I work together, if his bit is taking a bit longer, I will have the van keys off them, jump in the van and go do a few packets.
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

driver allowance

Post by nickbsmooth »

Most of the passenger loops in our office are shorter than the driver's.
I think someone hit the wrong button during planning quite abit.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

driver allowance

Post by rubberbond »

NewPostieUK wrote:
rubberbond wrote:You're not expected to pay the fine are you?
um.. yes. The driver is responsible for taking points and fines etc.
Well points is fair enough,but parking fines? Are you sure? As far as I was aware ,it was enshrined in law that as a USO provider,we were exempt from certain restrictions,for parking,and some other bits and pieces, but not for stuff like speeding,or other endorsable offences. Can someone clarify?
UsernameAlreadyInUse
Posts: 29
Joined: 06 Jul 2015, 00:10
Gender: Female

driver allowance

Post by UsernameAlreadyInUse »

Surreypostie wrote:I repeat, if you are carrying out your duties, do not park on zig zags on crossings, brow of a hill etc, you can stop anywhere else including in bus lanes to carry out your delivery work and if you are issued a fine it will be overturned. There used to be a driving allowance, now we are all drivers. My partner and I work together, if his bit is taking a bit longer, I will have the van keys off them, jump in the van and go do a few packets.
I totally agree with your point. However the driver, who has signed for accepting the keys of the van, is responsible for it. You should not be driving it between loops/at all. Just sayin'.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

driver allowance

Post by Acca Dacca »

clashcityrocker wrote:I think as a passenger you should be entitled to a passenger allowance.
Who should I take this up with?
I agree

Us passengers need to put our lives in other peoples hands to do our job each day.

:so there


:Very Happy
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
shepherdess
Posts: 445
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 16:16
Gender: Female

driver allowance

Post by shepherdess »

Acca Dacca wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:I think as a passenger you should be entitled to a passenger allowance.
Who should I take this up with?
I agree

Us passengers need to put our lives in other peoples hands to do our job each day.

:so there


:Very Happy
I am a qualified driver passed test. Passed royal mail driving assessment .do you question the drivers ability if you get in a taxi or on a bus !!!!!
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

driver allowance

Post by aiden01 »

shepherdess wrote:
Acca Dacca wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:I think as a passenger you should be entitled to a passenger allowance.
Who should I take this up with?
I agree

Us passengers need to put our lives in other peoples hands to do our job each day.

:so there


:Very Happy
I am a qualified driver passed test. Passed royal mail driving assessment .do you question the drivers ability if you get in a taxi or on a bus !!!!!
the way some of them bus and taxi people drive makes you wonder how they passed their test.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

driver allowance

Post by cpsteve »

If drivers got extra you can bet the drivers who refuse to drive for the R/M would soon change their minds. As for loops while the non driver is doing a loop the driver can go and deliver the reg that is at risk of time failure and the large items on that loop it all about team work.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

driver allowance

Post by Creditshampoo »

If you park on double yellows and recieve a fine you will not have to pay it as long as you were on your delivery route and not parked couple miles from your duty going to the bookies. However if you are asked to move by a warden you shouldnt argue and just move the van.
This is taught to management workplace coaches etc so stop making a big deal out of something which doesnt happen.
Of course if you park over a zebra crossing or get caught speeding youll get points and a fine, dont break the law
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

driver allowance

Post by Surreypostie »

shepherdess wrote:
Acca Dacca wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:I think as a passenger you should be entitled to a passenger allowance.
Who should I take this up with?
I agree

Us passengers need to put our lives in other peoples hands to do our job each day.

:so there


:Very Happy
I am a qualified driver passed test. Passed royal mail driving assessment .do you question the drivers ability if you get in a taxi or on a bus !!!!!
I have once refused to go out with a driver who was dangerous, just refused point blank. he actually hit a parked vehicle and I said, never again. I have been out with drivers, younger lads mainly who think doing 50 in a 20mph zone is fine, they have all passed their tests. Someone puts my life at risk I will drop them right in it, if they kill someone who walks out in front of them I will be a prosecution witness.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

driver allowance

Post by cpsteve »

Surreypostie wrote:
shepherdess wrote:
Acca Dacca wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:I think as a passenger you should be entitled to a passenger allowance.
Who should I take this up with?
I agree

Us passengers need to put our lives in other peoples hands to do our job each day.

:so there


:Very Happy
I am a qualified driver passed test. Passed royal mail driving assessment .do you question the drivers ability if you get in a taxi or on a bus !!!!!
I have once refused to go out with a driver who was dangerous, just refused point blank. he actually hit a parked vehicle and I said, never again. I have been out with drivers, younger lads mainly who think doing 50 in a 20mph zone is fine, they have all passed their tests. Someone puts my life at risk I will drop them right in it, if they kill someone who walks out in front of them I will be a prosecution witness.
If a driver is breaking the law and putting you and other road users at risk first tell the driver to drive within the law if they refuse inform your manager. The tracking devices should put an end to the dangerous fast drivers. I have been on a few white knuckle bus and taxi journeys passing a test means nothing.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

driver allowance

Post by Chewster »

How can anyone really think we deserve a driving allowance :left: It's not difficult. Personally I LOVE driving and chomp at the bit to be the driver when on a vanshare duty and I'll HAPPILY go out on packet duties at the end of the day if and when needed. Too many whingers at RM. Yes the company is a bit of a s**t show, but it's not that bad.
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

driver allowance

Post by Nondescript »

Chewster wrote:How can anyone really think we deserve a driving allowance :left: It's not difficult. Personally I LOVE driving and chomp at the bit to be the driver when on a vanshare duty and I'll HAPPILY go out on packet duties at the end of the day if and when needed. Too many whingers at RM. Yes the company is a bit of a s**t show, but it's not that bad.
I'm a reserve who covers the driver or passenger duties of those who are off sick/on holiday and frankly I'd say you'd have to be a bit mental to prefer the driver side of the fence - it's more responsibility, a larger workload and more stress for no extra money, but hey, different strokes for different folks I suppose. :thumbup