ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Seagull's 'swooping attack' in Maryport delays mail delivery

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Seagull's 'swooping attack' in Maryport delays mail delivery

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-36743957" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

Seagulls have been blamed after postal deliveries in a coastal town had to be abandoned.

A postwoman was unable to reach some letter boxes on Tuesday because of "swooping attacks" by the birds.

A Royal Mail card posted the following day said the street in Maryport, Cumbria had been "inaccessible due to dangerous conditions" with "seagulls" noted as the reason.

Householder Paul Blenkharn said he thought someone was "having a joke".

"I just found it extremely funny - I just can't grasp how a postman or postwoman had been unable to deliver an item of mail due to seagulls," he said.
"I thought somebody's really, really got to having a joke here."

Royal Mail apologised to the four affected households on the street, saying "the safety of our people is paramount to Royal Mail and these swooping attacks made it difficult for the postwoman to continue to do her job".

Seagulls are now a protected species after a dramatic decline in their population

Senior RSPB conservation officer Tim Melling said gulls only attack when they see people as predators.

"Sometimes if you go near the nest they'll swoop very low, and they'll caw at you, making a noise, but all they're trying to do is push you away because they're frightened that you're going to kill their babies," he said.

Herring gulls were in "serious trouble" and were on the conservation concern "red list" after a 74% decline in their numbers since the 1970s, he said.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Nigel1505
Posts: 409
Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
Gender: Male

Seagull's 'swooping attack' in Maryport delays mail delivery

Post by Nigel1505 »

"Seagulls are now a protected species after a dramatic decline in their population"

They can't be in decline because there is no such bird. There never has been. The bird in the picture on the internet page is a Herring Gull. There are multi varies other gulls around the world but no seagull. Before the replies flood in, I do get out quite a bit. :nana
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Seagull's 'swooping attack' in Maryport delays mail delivery

Post by wannabeek »

Nigel1505 wrote:"Seagulls are now a protected species after a dramatic decline in their population"

They can't be in decline because there is no such bird. There never has been. The bird in the picture on the internet page is a Herring Gull. There are multi varies other gulls around the world but no seagull. Before the replies flood in, I do get out quite a bit. :nana
:thumbup :thumbup

I assumed it was a local rag when I first read it. How rubbish is the BBC nowadays to issue the statement, 'Seagulls are now a protected species'. There is no such thing!!! Never has been!!! Eejits. I often call them seagulls, as most of us do, but that isn't their species.
Pompey Boy
Posts: 428
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
Gender: Male

Seagull's 'swooping attack' in Maryport delays mail delivery

Post by Pompey Boy »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-36743957

Householder Paul Blenkharn said he thought someone was "having a joke".

"I just found it extremely funny - I just can't grasp how a postman or postwoman had been unable to deliver an item of mail due to seagulls," he said.
"I thought somebody's really, really got to having a joke here."
http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/13/teenager- ... k-6004207/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wonder if Mr Blenkharn thinks this is funny too?
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Seagull's 'swooping attack' in Maryport delays mail delivery

Post by meercat »

That form hasn't been filled in correctly, the box says 'other reasons' so shouldn't there either be a tick or a written reason and not both?