I was actually at my fittest when I was playing rugby 3 times a week and refuelling with a chip shop binge afterwards
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Anyone ever tried protein powders?
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Anyone ever tried protein powders?
I've got a big bag of protein powder right now and have not long finished another (myprotein had an offer where new customers only paid for postage on this, folks should see if it's still available
) and tbh, I don't feel like there's been any real discernable benefit. I do my big long walking round every day the same as most on this site, and I do a quick workout usually after work just to keep body parts that aren't my legs ticking over, but I don't feel any fitter with the powder as opposed to without it. And I've certainly not gained any weight with it. BUT it's handy if you're like me and can't be arsed having breakfast most mornings.
I was actually at my fittest when I was playing rugby 3 times a week and refuelling with a chip shop binge afterwards
I was actually at my fittest when I was playing rugby 3 times a week and refuelling with a chip shop binge afterwards
-
reedy
- Posts: 51
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 19:41
Anyone ever tried protein powders?
My son uses protein powders and they have helped him increase his muscle. Google dsc nutrution. They sell good stuff.
-
Chelseablue
- Posts: 2227
- Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
- Gender: Female
Anyone ever tried protein powders?
Spoke with a p ter, who says all this protein hype is just a huge gimmich esp for the young guys , its in loadsa cereal etc now and we all fall for it. You only need a certain amount of it . Same with your vitamins etc all a waste of money , esp a well known health food place .
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Anyone ever tried protein powders?
Expensive protein yes. Huge marketing ploys. Cheap whey is the same as expensive whey. Also you need carbs to build and repair or the protein just goes to refuelling instead of building so add some powdered oats.Chelseablue wrote:Spoke with a p ter, who says all this protein hype is just a huge gimmich esp for the young guys , its in loadsa cereal etc now and we all fall for it. You only need a certain amount of it . Same with your vitamins etc all a waste of money , esp a well known health food place .
Of course a good diet is better than having these shakes but sometimes convienence wins
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Anyone ever tried protein powders?
Oh yeah Chelsea, it is all a bit of a fad fuelled by hype from certain gym going types. The whole world seems to have gone fitness daft, which is generally a good thing but for most people it seems to have become an unhealthy obsession that is taking control of their lives.
That's not to say that all these protein powders don't have a place though, like Mr Shampoo says, convenience usually wins. I've got half of my bag of chocolate flavoured powder which I shall be making into a lovely chocolate milkshake with a banana thrown in for good measure because I can't be bothered making actual breakfast
So it is very handy, but I certainly won't be buying more when this stuff runs out unless I find some other miraculous "only pay for postage" deal.
That's not to say that all these protein powders don't have a place though, like Mr Shampoo says, convenience usually wins. I've got half of my bag of chocolate flavoured powder which I shall be making into a lovely chocolate milkshake with a banana thrown in for good measure because I can't be bothered making actual breakfast
-
woopesh
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
- Gender: Male
Anyone ever tried protein powders?
I use spirulina which is 60% protein. Tastes totally foul, but can be made palatable in a nutribullet. I always take a spirulina laced smoothie out with me on my rounds and drink a little often. I feel significantly less fatigued at the end of the week, compared to taking out just water.
I tried whey protein but it makes me feel like things are crawling under my skin. I don't get on with it. Hemp protein doesn't feel like it does anything and gives me intestinal bloating.
I tried whey protein but it makes me feel like things are crawling under my skin. I don't get on with it. Hemp protein doesn't feel like it does anything and gives me intestinal bloating.
-
woopesh
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
- Gender: Male
Anyone ever tried protein powders?
Its wierd to see a postie asking about protein powders. Most of the ones I have seen stuff themselves with pastries, donuts, chocolates, cookies and packets of crisps. Unsurprisingly, they then feel crap / go on a sugar crash then start feeling stressed and start flipping out. 
-
stan_lers
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 04 Nov 2014, 21:52
- Gender: Male
Anyone ever tried protein powders?
It's a huge gimmick, but protein is important. Even for bodybuilding, you only really need 1g per 1lb of bodyweight at most, so around 180g for a normal 6' man. I would struggle to get that much from my regular diet so I have protein shakes just to make it up, and to reach my calorie target (with this job plus working out, I need 5000 to gain weight).Chelseablue wrote:Spoke with a p ter, who says all this protein hype is just a huge gimmich esp for the young guys , its in loadsa cereal etc now and we all fall for it. You only need a certain amount of it . Same with your vitamins etc all a waste of money , esp a well known health food place .
You can either pay £5 for a small box of 'protein corn flakes', or you can buy regular cornflakes, and then just have an extra glass of milk, which is far cheaper and probably actually has more protein.
Also if you do want protein powder, myprotein is one of the best/cheapest places to get it.