ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Working with a newstart

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Bouncing Souls
Posts: 60
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 17:46
Gender: Male

Working with a newstart

Post by Bouncing Souls »

Its all about the your office and the workplace coach(s), the role they play in the training and using the tools available to the workplace coach. my office has 4 workplace coaches,(we're a big unit) each takes their role seriously and as such have built up a good relationship with the DOM in proving the worth of good training to the new entrants. in the last year, 9 new entrants, 9 still with us, each were trained on the same duty for 6 weeks and then rotated to the other training duty for 4-6 weeks, 12 weeks being Royal Mails golden rule with training. All followed the training manual as directed by Royal Mail. (the workplace coach own duty is used with the partner displaced to allow the new entrant to take it, the displaced duty holder is then given a pick of duties the following weeks they are displaced)
The feedback from the other posties when the new entrants are no longer new entrants is that they have no issues working with them, they know what they are doing, use all the correct procedures, which in turn rubs off on the other posties, don't cut corners and generally get the job done.
No issues with working to time, don't run round to gain time.
Meetings with the DOM after the training period indicate that customer complaints are zero against the new entrants once they have been let loose.
result = a happy DOM and new posties doing the job correctly and understanding what is expected of them.
Anonymouse
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 174
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
Gender: Male

Working with a newstart

Post by Anonymouse »

Think i'm a jinx. Got landed with another new starter and they've decided to jack it in after 2 rainy days.

Maybe the managers will now keep noobs away from me :chuckle
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Working with a newstart

Post by woopesh »

Bouncing Souls wrote:Its all about the your office and the workplace coach(s), the role they play in the training and using the tools available to the workplace coach. my office has 4 workplace coaches,(we're a big unit) each takes their role seriously and as such have built up a good relationship with the DOM in proving the worth of good training to the new entrants. in the last year, 9 new entrants, 9 still with us, each were trained on the same duty for 6 weeks and then rotated to the other training duty for 4-6 weeks, 12 weeks being Royal Mails golden rule with training. All followed the training manual as directed by Royal Mail. (the workplace coach own duty is used with the partner displaced to allow the new entrant to take it, the displaced duty holder is then given a pick of duties the following weeks they are displaced)
The feedback from the other posties when the new entrants are no longer new entrants is that they have no issues working with them, they know what they are doing, use all the correct procedures, which in turn rubs off on the other posties, don't cut corners and generally get the job done.
No issues with working to time, don't run round to gain time.
Meetings with the DOM after the training period indicate that customer complaints are zero against the new entrants once they have been let loose.
result = a happy DOM and new posties doing the job correctly and understanding what is expected of them.
Frankly sounds unbelievable. I was chucked out on my own after 3 weeks of being "used" by an experienced postie to finish his round quicker and then treated like everyone else. Learning on the job.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Working with a newstart

Post by wannabeek »

Mmm. That is what I thought. It sounds like the sort of training that happens in The Courier. I have never heard of such thorough training in any office I've been to.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Working with a newstart

Post by Chewster »

I had 3 days of training before I was chucked out on my own...
ewancurze
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 19:25
Gender: Male

Working with a newstart

Post by ewancurze »

I started 12 yrs ago after being made redundant from a fairly high pressure City job (not good pay),on my first day out on my own (week before Christmas) I went over by an hour ish,told on coming back to the office that I was not good enough and unless picked up would be re-trained :chuckle, and would not get O/T.I said I would get O/T or else and I did,that manager still bears a grudge to this day....lovely people!
This week a manager made a new starter cry by saying they were not allowed to cut off....luckily we are a fairly militant office so that got nipped in the bud....how can such a basically simple job be made so unpleasant?
Last edited by ewancurze on 03 Jul 2016, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
ewancurze
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 19:25
Gender: Male

Working with a newstart

Post by ewancurze »

I don't think she remembers why she don't like me but I never forget!
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Working with a newstart

Post by woopesh »

wannabeek wrote:Mmm. That is what I thought. It sounds like the sort of training that happens in The Courier. I have never heard of such thorough training in any office I've been to.
Bouncing Soul could be a plant from head office to continue Courier type propaganda?
Bouncing Souls
Posts: 60
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 17:46
Gender: Male

Working with a newstart

Post by Bouncing Souls »

woopesh wrote:
wannabeek wrote:Mmm. That is what I thought. It sounds like the sort of training that happens in The Courier. I have never heard of such thorough training in any office I've been to.
Bouncing Soul could be a plant from head office to continue Courier type propaganda?
Obviously not going to say what office it is or who i am, but believe what you wish,