ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Commissioner apologises after residents in Barrow made to pay for unstamped campaign letters

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Commissioner apologises after residents in Barrow made to pay for unstamped campaign letters

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/barrow/Co ... 103ac4c-ds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image
Cumbria's police and crime commissioner Peter McCall

THE county's police and crime commissioner has apologised to residents who were left to foot the postage bill for unstamped letters distributed during his election campaign.

Peter McCall said an investigation was being launched after people in Barrow reported having to pay £2 to open a survey which was sent out while he was still a Conservative candidate in May's election.

The fee has only just come to light after notes from the Post Office were put through peoples' doors telling them they had a letter to claim and a postage charge to pay.

The letter, which is undated, asks the recipient to complete a seven question survey on the reverse of the page, ranking their crime priorities and then using a freepost envelope addressed to Cumbria Conservatives, 31 Chiswick Street, Carlisle, CA1 1HJ.

It's believed the letters were sent to houses in the Roose and Holbeck area.

One of the residents who got a note and then paid the fee said: "I had to pay £2 for the benefit of it. It is a £1 holding charge and postage that had to be paid.

"The letter only says 'I'm the Conservative candidate and I want to hear your views'.

"The woman in the Post Office said there were lots of the same letters but none of them had got postage.

"I have spoken to two people who live in the Roose area and they said they had paid £2 and picked up the same letter."

Mr McCall said his office was looking to establish how the error was made but suggested the letters were supposed to have been distributed by hand by volunteers and not put in the post.

He said: "I'm really sorry to anybody who has been inconvenienced by it.

"I can't explain it. All I can say to those who have received it is I understand how irritating it must be to complete an out of date survey.

"I'm finding out what has happened so it doesn't happen again.

"I offer my very sincere apologies."

Mr McCall was elected as Cumbria's new police and crime commissioner in May, taking over from Richard Rhodes. The role involves scrutinising the police force, appointing and firing the chief constable and coming up with a local crime plan.

Post Office policy


According to the Royal Mail website, there is a £1 handling fee for letters and parcels where insufficient postage or no stamps have been attached, plus the remaining postage due for the particular item posted.

Since October 5 2015, there has been a flat fee only of £1.50 for a letter or large letter where insufficient postage has been paid. Where no postage has been paid, the fee is £2.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.