I thought the boxes being fitted in the vans monitor your driving style. If you are a driver who wheel spins away, brakes hard and try's to get the rear to drift going round Tescos roundabout then it's going to record it via a G sensor.
Proper tracking of us can be done via PDA's. As far as I know there is no agreement in place for them to act on what is recorded. However, I can't see them paying all that money and not acting on it, just a nod from the union and watch your backs.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Trackers in vans??
-
Kick the Bucket
- Posts: 119
- Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 19:22
- Gender: Male
Trackers in vans??
We only have one at our office. Was given to me and my partner who coincidently claim the most overtime as a result of a bastard round. Reason given was for health and safety purposes. Makes you laughLouBarlow wrote:What gets me about these trackers, is they aren't actually installed in all our office vans, so only a small percentage of people are being monitored. I'm not sure how they can even consider using them for disciplinary matters in this case.
The information they monitor is insane btw - having seen a print out, they measure the speed and your location by road, so as to ensure you are under the limit. They also offer colour coded statistics showing how long you have been stopped at specific locations.
-
jetblack
- Posts: 974
- Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
- Gender: Male
Trackers in vans??
They don't give a monkeys about our "driving style". What does our driving style cost them one way or the other ?
It occurred to me initially that the trackers could be used long term to try and cut insurance premiums (due to the Royal Mail drivers driving like grandma's on account of the trackers).
But I don't think that is the real motive - though could be part of it I guess.
Some on here saying they can't be used as evidence re. overtime claim (refusal).
Are you sure about that ?
I heard that any stop (at a delivery point) over and above a certain time (I think it was 6 minutes - but don't quote me on that) is classed as being a part of your break.
(Actually 6 min.s seems a bit much, even for delivering a few signed for parcels - so that could well be wrong - maybe someone else knows. But whatever the time allowed, you see the point)
It occurred to me initially that the trackers could be used long term to try and cut insurance premiums (due to the Royal Mail drivers driving like grandma's on account of the trackers).
But I don't think that is the real motive - though could be part of it I guess.
Some on here saying they can't be used as evidence re. overtime claim (refusal).
Are you sure about that ?
I heard that any stop (at a delivery point) over and above a certain time (I think it was 6 minutes - but don't quote me on that) is classed as being a part of your break.
(Actually 6 min.s seems a bit much, even for delivering a few signed for parcels - so that could well be wrong - maybe someone else knows. But whatever the time allowed, you see the point)
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Trackers in vans??
They can't use them as evidence regarding overtime claims or for disciplinary or anything like that. Not yet anyway. For a start, not all vans have them yet, so the case for discrimination/favouritism could be arguedjetblack wrote:They don't give a monkeys about our "driving style". What does our driving style cost them one way or the other ?
It occurred to me initially that the trackers could be used long term to try and cut insurance premiums (due to the Royal Mail drivers driving like grandma's on account of the trackers).
But I don't think that is the real motive - though could be part of it I guess.
Some on here saying they can't be used as evidence re. overtime claim (refusal).
Are you sure about that ?
I heard that any stop (at a delivery point) over and above a certain time (I think it was 6 minutes - but don't quote me on that) is classed as being a part of your break.
(Actually 6 min.s seems a bit much, even for delivering a few signed for parcels - so that could well be wrong - maybe someone else knows. But whatever the time allowed, you see the point)
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Trackers in vans??
Using new PDA now and yes you our correct track every move well better then the house brick thoolilew wrote:They will be able to track your every move when they roll out the new pda's anyway!
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Trackers in vans??
Have been on collection duties before that have been so cut to the bone, they are only achievable by driving like a loon. Or driving around trying to get specials on second half of duty done by one. Doubt managers will pay too much attention to tracker info, as in long run they will be the loser.
-
Drloomis
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 15 Nov 2015, 18:31
- Gender: Male
Trackers in vans??
In my previous job we started to install trackers in fleet cars. We were only interested in where the cars were going and at what times they were being used, but the trackers would still collect all the data you can think of. The company we contracted would hold this data but would only provide us with the data that we asked for (date, time, start point, end point etc.). We didn't have trackers in all of our cars so we identified a particular high-risk customer group and started from there (I don't think RM are targeting individuals, maybe just starting with a few vans from each office to see what data they get). From experience, once RM realise how useful these trackers are they'll want more trackers in more vans and, I'd assume, the data will start to be used in 'conversations' with individuals.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Trackers in vans??
In our office, it seems to be the newest vans that are getting them, none of our old Vauxhall vans have them and I imagine most of them will be due to be replaced soon, so perhaps they're waiting for that before installing them universally?Drloomis wrote:In my previous job we started to install trackers in fleet cars. We were only interested in where the cars were going and at what times they were being used, but the trackers would still collect all the data you can think of. The company we contracted would hold this data but would only provide us with the data that we asked for (date, time, start point, end point etc.). We didn't have trackers in all of our cars so we identified a particular high-risk customer group and started from there (I don't think RM are targeting individuals, maybe just starting with a few vans from each office to see what data they get). From experience, once RM realise how useful these trackers are they'll want more trackers in more vans and, I'd assume, the data will start to be used in 'conversations' with individuals.
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Trackers in vans??
Drive safely do not use your van for anything other then work and you will have no problem.
-
toomuchcoke
- Posts: 309
- Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Trackers in vans??
In theory this, but in practice I expect most people have been driving less than perfectly safely for some time now and the rounds have been "timed" on that basis ... So if we all start driving in a manner that doesn't set the boxes off too much then the overtime bill is likely to shoot up and management will be less than impressed! (And they'll completely fail to see any connection between the two facts!) After all, when they replaced our Vauxhall Combos (60mph on normal roads, 70mph on dual carriageways) with Fiat Dublos/Peugeot Partners (50mph on normal roads, 60mph on dual carriageways) they didn't feel any need to adjust the rounds at all!cpsteve wrote:Drive safely do not use your van for anything other then work and you will have no problem.