http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local ... zmcpgUW.97" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The trial at Paisley Sheriff Court continues with jury of seven men and eight women
A Paisley postie thought he would die when a knife was held to his throat by a man demanding a bus pass, a court heard yesterday.
Postman Edward Mains told Paisley Sheriff Court that he was attacked with a blade after being confronted by Hugh Temple about missing mail.
The 30-year-old said that he was on his rounds in Paisley’s Argyle Street when he was punched in the face as he entered a close.
He explained: “I walked into the close with my head down and my bag over my shoulder.
“Then I was punched in the face.
“I then saw Mr Temple had a knife. He held it to me at my throat and started shouting that I hadn’t delivered his bus pass.
“It was pretty scary thing to have happen.”
Giving evidence, Mr Mains told a jury of seven men and eight women that – fearing for his life – he was forced to defend himself.
Temple, 47, is on trial accused of assaulting mailman Mr Mains and threatening him with a blade on June 17 last year.
Under questioning from depute fiscal Alan Parfrey, Mr Mains explained that he was “shaken up for a while” by what happened.
He went on to explain that a scuffle broke out, adding: “He grabbed at my mail bag and it dropped. I managed to get out the close.
“There was blood on the floor and on my fists.”
However, Temple’s defence agent Robin White put it to Mr Mains that he had made the whole thing up.
He said to him: “Mr Temple questioned you about missing mail and it was you that struck the first blow.
“You launched a continued and sustained assault on him.
“You then ran outside and decided to tell your colleague that you were assaulted with a knife.
“Is that not what happened?”
Mr Mains replied: “No, that’s wrong. I only hit him to get out.
“I was convinced he was going to kill me. That’s what you think when you are attacked with a knife.”
The trial before Sheriff James Spy then heard from Mr Mains’ colleague Kenneth McConnell, 52, who said Mr Mains was deeply distressed about what happened.
He said: “I saw him coming out the close. He was holding his face and he was in the middle of the road without his bag, which was very unusual.
“He told me what happened and was really upset. I phoned the police immediately.
“Eddie told me it was about a bus pass. He was still pretty upset.”
The first officer to respond was PC Stewart Hamilton, who also said Mr Mains was deeply shaken by the incident when he arrived.
He explained: “We were flagged down by who I now know is the complainer. He was very shaken.
“He told us briefly what happened and we made our way to the locus with other officers.
“He described the male as wearing camouflage clothing.”
Temple is also accused of stealing the mail bag and its contents.
The trial continues.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postman tells court he feared for his life after being punched and threatened with a blade over "missing" buss pass
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postman tells court he feared for his life after being punched and threatened with a blade over "missing" buss pass
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.