ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Rotating days off advice please.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
zipmeister
Posts: 136
Joined: 04 Mar 2010, 17:37
Gender: Male

Rotating days off advice please.

Post by zipmeister »

Chewster wrote:I've worked here for about 18 months now and I've yet to see a Saturday off...
Have you ever told your manager that you want a Saturday off or mentioned it to your rep ?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Rotating days off advice please.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Postie45 wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
daveyeff wrote:you havn't had a Saturday off in 12yrs?
except for weeks off or the occasional single 1 days leave - No.
i assume that through choice, working your day off as an SA or something ?
Not my choice. It went to a vote and the office chose fixed days off, not rotating before I started. So far this hasn't been changed even when given the opportunity to do so.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Rotating days off advice please.

Post by Chewster »

zipmeister wrote:
Chewster wrote:I've worked here for about 18 months now and I've yet to see a Saturday off...
Have you ever told your manager that you want a Saturday off or mentioned it to your rep ?
I'm saving that for a time when I actually really want/need a Saturday off. I'm not fussed about it otherwise, a day off is a day off.
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Rotating days off advice please.

Post by meercat »

Beckilovesme wrote:Hello everyone,

Does it mean, for example, if my first day off is on Monday my first week, then my day off on my second week would be Tuesday, and 3rd week a Wednesday and so forth? Or is it rather sporadic and agreed last minute?
There are a few different day off structures and different offices have implemented different systems so you will need to contact your DO to find out which one you will be on. In our office most have 1in3 Sats off and there is no longer a Mon-Sat rotate as you describe. As said you might be covering a different round each week and may be given the day off of the duty holder or a day selected by your manager. However if you inform them when you start you have health issues to attend to they should take this into account and give you advance notice of days off. If they don't try to help you speak to the Union rep and make a formal complaint.
salomon2
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
Gender: Female

Rotating days off advice please.

Post by salomon2 »

Nearly 2 years on a 25 hr contract here and finally have been put in a leave group so I will be getting my rotating day off!!
Don't be surprised if your day off is a Tuesday and you get asked to work it. It has been hard to plan appointments but if you book them after 3.30 then you should be ok. I also don't mind working Saturdays I've had about 6 off since starting. You often don't find out your day off till the the week before so definitely don't plan anything yet. Once you've started after a week or so you may be on a regular round for a few weeks but don't bank on it! Good luck
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

Rotating days off advice please.

Post by crazyshrew »

Forgetting the Saturdays which are something of a contentious issue, you state that you need to plan for regular medical appointments.
No need to go into details here but it could be that you find you are covered by the equality act and the reasonable adjustment made by Royal Mail to help would be a fixed or flexible day off in order to accommodate your appointments.

Have you had the opportunity to give details of medical conditions etc during your application process? if not I would suggest you speak to someone and request to speak with Royal Mails occupational health service - OH Assist.
They are generally very good provided you give them everything they need to know...geting the managers to comply with their recommendations however, can be a bit :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh