I think the theory is that the best sorters do the sorting and the best double preppers do the double prepping and anyone else does the porteringR@YAL F@IL wrote:Then porters and super sorters should rotate, simplesP13 wrote:NoR@YAL F@IL wrote:Do these super sorters get more money?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Can you refuse to be a porter ?
-
P13
- Posts: 1016
- Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Can you refuse to be a porter ?
-
spoodoo
- Posts: 829
- Joined: 06 Sep 2009, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Can you refuse to be a porter ?
Is all these new terms. A joke?
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Can you refuse to be a porter ?
The whole f==king thing is a joke.spoodoo wrote:Is all these new terms. A joke?
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
glenfiddich
- Posts: 1012
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15
Re: Can you refuse to be a porter ?
our supersorters are all supertalkers supping coffee eating and wandering around with vague addressed letters how the hell anything gets done is beyond me 
-
Himaggen
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40
Re: Can you refuse to be a porter ?
We were informed that we are not allowed to use the terms 'Super Sorters', and they must be 'Dedicated Sorters'.
You cannot use the term 'Super' to identify some staff when by doing so you are effectively telling others that they are not 'Super'.
Royal Mail Management told us this more than twelve months ago and I can only guess by its use here that the advice was not heeded.
If your Managers are heard to use the term they can be reported because it is considered a form of bullying/discrimination.
If someone would care to try that theory and let us know, it may be interesting!
You cannot use the term 'Super' to identify some staff when by doing so you are effectively telling others that they are not 'Super'.
Royal Mail Management told us this more than twelve months ago and I can only guess by its use here that the advice was not heeded.
If your Managers are heard to use the term they can be reported because it is considered a form of bullying/discrimination.
If someone would care to try that theory and let us know, it may be interesting!
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Can you refuse to be a porter ?
I don't think we're precious enough to give a f**k.Himaggen wrote: If your Managers are heard to use the term they can be reported because it is considered a form of bullying/discrimination.
If someone would care to try that theory and let us know, it may be interesting!
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Can you refuse to be a porter ?
Personally I prefer NOT to be a super anything (unless it's Superman..........he's pretty coolfishtank wrote:I don't think we're precious enough to give a f**k.Himaggen wrote: If your Managers are heard to use the term they can be reported because it is considered a form of bullying/discrimination.
If someone would care to try that theory and let us know, it may be interesting!
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Can you refuse to be a porter ?
I could definitely see using the lower level of portering trolleys as undue risk for someone with a history of back trouble, presuming they are standard issue and we all use the two tier black ones with one level (for 4 trays) at ~3' and a lower level at ~6".
If you have back trouble, why not suggest that you only use the higher level?
If they want to ask a reasonable request, you deserve a reasonable adjustment to cater for your health history.
If you have back trouble, why not suggest that you only use the higher level?
If they want to ask a reasonable request, you deserve a reasonable adjustment to cater for your health history.
-
bandit650
- Posts: 880
- Joined: 14 Aug 2007, 15:42
- Gender: Female
Re: Can you refuse to be a porter ?
It says under the safe systems of work that anyone with a history of back problems should not really be used for this type of work as there could be a risk to the member of staff of injury or the chance that they may be able to injure themselves.sareknees wrote:Hi . Does any good union rep / postie know if it is possible to refuse to do this new portering job due to a history of back problems?
As i understood it staff should be assessed to whether they would be suitable to do this type of work,hope that helps.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Can you refuse to be a porter ?
When we were trained on it the lower level is only to be used for storing spare boxes, if using 8 boxes then the 2 row is stacked on top of the already filled perstops.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
mrfixituk
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 03 Jul 2011, 12:06
- Gender: Male
Can you refuse to be a porter ?
I have been roped into doing this for a few months now and I am fed up with it. I already have had my walk length increased recently so do enough walking, so half an hour a day is so demotivating. The other people who used to do it wrangled out of it. I think everyone should take a turn doing the dirty work, but it doesn't work like that in our office even though I have been there 17 years and know the sorting well. I am thinking of saying that if nobody else takes a turn I will stop overtime - a good idea?
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2057
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Can you refuse to be a porter ?
No but You get more griefR@YAL F@IL wrote:Do these super sorters get more money?
-
bandit650
- Posts: 880
- Joined: 14 Aug 2007, 15:42
- Gender: Female
Can you refuse to be a porter ?
If it's not your job not sure why you do it and if they have got rid of the porters then everyone should have a go,what is super sorters ?