https://www.theguardian.com/football/sh ... -lookalike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
Lee Chapman shot to local fame when he celebrated Leicester’s Premier League win alongside his high-scoring doppelganger. But this happy tale has turned sour
Name: Lee Chapman.
Age: 29.
Appearance: Jamie Vardyish.
The former professional footballer and ongoing husband of 90s delight Leslie Ash? No, another Lee Chapman.
OK, what does he do? He’s Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy’s postman lookalike.
He looks like Jamie Vardy’s postman? I know they had a big win, but that’s a tenuous link to glory. No, Chapman is a postman who looks like Jamie Vardy. He is also a diehard Leicester City fan and came to minor prominence when the team hauled him on to the victory bus to celebrate with his beloved Foxes in the wake of their Premier League triumph.
That’s nice. Yes, it was.
Is it not still? It was nice for a while. A lookalike agency spotted the photos the team posted from the bus and offered Chapman work. The Royal Mail has given him six months off to pursue the opportunity.
That is REALLY nice! He’s got a verified Twitter account with more than 3,500 followers, where he offers fans the chance to make video messages with him and posts pictures of himself in full Leicester kit with them at events. Rumours swirl about a Celebrity Big Brother appearance and UK comedy tour with other lookalikes.
Sound, hopefully lucrative, moves. But Chapman says that Vardy – and his new wife, Rebekah Nicholson, have blocked him on Twitter and Instagram.
What?! No?! Why? Vardy’s agent reportedly sent Chapman a text message warning him not to do anything that would put any of Vardy’s endorsement deals at risk.
I see. A rogue lookalike could taint the brand. Exactly.
Could it though, really? I don’t know. Vardy and his manager seem to think so.
Would a superfan since childhood really do that? You can’t be too careful.
You probably can, though. I could see a backlash forming against high-handed behaviour from footballer-suddenly-shot-to-fame to fan-who-supported-him-through-all-the-lows-as-well-as-highs. There might be one starting already actually.
Oh? Yes, a hashtag is already doing the rounds: #mardyVardy
I like it. It could do well. It is a potentially Premier League hashtag. We watch and wait. And quietly consult our lawyers and management team about a potential U-turn.
Do say: “Bit of an own goal there, Vardy, I suspect.”
Don’t say: “I actually look very like my postman. Can I take over Lee’s round?”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Jamie Vardy blocks postie lookalike on social media as England striker looks to protect his image
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
The Vardy party is over for Jamie's postman lookalike
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Jamie Vardy blocks postie lookalike on social media as England striker looks to protect his image
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... image.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ENGLAND star Jamie Vardy has blocked his lookalike from contacting him on social media.
And the striker’s agent John Morris has also sent a text warning Lee Chapman, 29, of legal action if he damages Vardy’s image or lucrative endorsement deals.
Postman Lee, who was invited on to the team bus after Vardy’s Leicester won the Premier League, has taken a six-month career break from Royal Mail to work as the star’s double.
The young dad has even considered giving up his job as the Vardy doppelganger after the spat.
Just last month Vardy, who earns £45,000 a week, posed happily for photos with the £16,000-A-YEAR postie who looks like the player’s identical twin.
But now Vardy, who got married last week, and his new bride Becky have both blocked the lookalike from going on their Twitter and Instagram accounts.
Die-hard Foxes fan Lee has been in demand for appearances on TV and at events since the Leicester won the league on May 2.
Last week he was wowing fans in bars and clubs in Majorca and producers of Britain’s Got More Talent even approached him to appear on the show’s celebrity panel.
Vardy’s agent, John Morris, recently sent a text to Lee’s management warning he would take legal action if the player’s double damaged the real Jamie’s image or endorsement deals.
The text said: “If you do anything that affects Jamie’s image directly and his endorsement deals we will take legal action . . . You can understand that I’m sure.”
Lookalike Lee’s agent James Austin said: “Lee is genuinely upset.
“He’s a true Leicester fan and Jamie is his idol. He would never do anything to bring his hero, Vardy, into disrepute.
“He doesn’t know what he has done to upset them. It’s so bad he was thinking of simply giving up.”
Lee, father of three-year-old son James, has been given a six-month career break by bosses at the Royal Mail so he can work full-time as a Jamie Vardy double.
Last night Vardy’s agent, John Morris of Key Sports Management, said: “I wish Lee all the best. I’ve met him and he comes across as a really nice guy.
“If anything happens to anybody whether you are a sports person or a movie star you have to be protected.
“I don’t know anything about Lee being blocked on Twitter.”
ENGLAND star Jamie Vardy has blocked his lookalike from contacting him on social media.
And the striker’s agent John Morris has also sent a text warning Lee Chapman, 29, of legal action if he damages Vardy’s image or lucrative endorsement deals.
Postman Lee, who was invited on to the team bus after Vardy’s Leicester won the Premier League, has taken a six-month career break from Royal Mail to work as the star’s double.
The young dad has even considered giving up his job as the Vardy doppelganger after the spat.
Just last month Vardy, who earns £45,000 a week, posed happily for photos with the £16,000-A-YEAR postie who looks like the player’s identical twin.
But now Vardy, who got married last week, and his new bride Becky have both blocked the lookalike from going on their Twitter and Instagram accounts.
Die-hard Foxes fan Lee has been in demand for appearances on TV and at events since the Leicester won the league on May 2.
Last week he was wowing fans in bars and clubs in Majorca and producers of Britain’s Got More Talent even approached him to appear on the show’s celebrity panel.
Vardy’s agent, John Morris, recently sent a text to Lee’s management warning he would take legal action if the player’s double damaged the real Jamie’s image or endorsement deals.
The text said: “If you do anything that affects Jamie’s image directly and his endorsement deals we will take legal action . . . You can understand that I’m sure.”
Lookalike Lee’s agent James Austin said: “Lee is genuinely upset.
“He’s a true Leicester fan and Jamie is his idol. He would never do anything to bring his hero, Vardy, into disrepute.
“He doesn’t know what he has done to upset them. It’s so bad he was thinking of simply giving up.”
Lee, father of three-year-old son James, has been given a six-month career break by bosses at the Royal Mail so he can work full-time as a Jamie Vardy double.
Last night Vardy’s agent, John Morris of Key Sports Management, said: “I wish Lee all the best. I’ve met him and he comes across as a really nice guy.
“If anything happens to anybody whether you are a sports person or a movie star you have to be protected.
“I don’t know anything about Lee being blocked on Twitter.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.