super-postie wrote:New PDAs have a flux capacitor fitted so you can time travel back and complete on time with all the extra scans. It also helps with deliver to neighbour.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts. Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility. If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Chewster wrote: I try to scan them all and it doesn't really take any longer.
Of course it does. You used to scan 20 items now you scan 80 (or whatever). How can it not take more time? You have to get out your PDA, wake it up, click click click get it into delivery mode, beep beep beep trying to scan, click done then cancel then options then lock screen and put it away again, then pick up the packet and bundle. . . all that takes time.
Until Amazon opened up a local depot, our archaic brick PDAs were hammered by those "Delivery Scan" items, enough to make the PDA battery critical everyday. So far, these new 2D code items have increased outdoor time, but nowhere near as much as those DS at peak. But come Xmas pressure time...
Chewster wrote:I don't lock my PDA, that's just a waste of time and they have a habit of not waking up when you do lock them. And I scan things while I'm walking. It really doesn't take long
super-postie wrote:New PDAs have a flux capacitor fitted so you can time travel back and complete on time with all the extra scans. It also helps with deliver to neighbour.
And an annoyingly placed volume button, which you always tend to hit while holding the new pda while pressing the yellow scan button with your thumb. So then you need to cancel the change volume window which pops up, and re scan the barcode....
Not to mention when the customer grips the pda and trys to sign and nothing happens cos theyre holding in the buttons. Could the whizz kid developers not even make it so when its in 'signature mode" the side buttons are temporarily disabled till you press "done". Not rocket science but still they cant even do that. Fuds.
Chewster wrote:I don't lock my PDA, that's just a waste of time and they have a habit of not waking up when you do lock them. And I scan things while I'm walking. It really doesn't take long
How many arms have you got?
Or perhaps you pull your trolley with summat else ;)
I find that even if the barcode is pretty s**t then it'll still scan. But, it seems to be that certain PDAs won't scan them. People in my office are forever nicking eachother's PDAs so I have a different one each day, and some of them will scan them all no bother, even faint ones, but most of them won't scan a single 2D barcode...some of them even have trouble scanning the normal barcodes..
I personally think that from Union perspective and job creation opportunities etc we should be pushing for scanning all codes on letters, flats too as the new PDA can recognise it and give delivery option on screen. Also tried to scan a code on EU referendum vote letters-they actually required signature! It looks like the sender paid for this service. Out Rep said he would look into it and our DOM said that it is probably true that sender expect us to scan it.