ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Managers Strike - No PIC? : 31st May
-
britwrit
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 967
- Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 15:12
Managers Strike - No PIC?
I couldn't find anything about this on the Unite website or through a Google news search. Is this really a thing?
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Managers Strike - No PIC?
britwrit wrote:I couldn't find anything about this on the Unite website or through a Google news search. Is this really a thing?
No dates for strike announced yet, they have been balloted and voted for action I believe but nothing has taken place yet
-
Surreypostie
- Posts: 999
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Managers Strike - No PIC?
I thought they were working to rule? Less coffee and a bit more work than normal.
-
buntin
- Posts: 100
- Joined: 27 Jul 2011, 13:55
- Gender: Male
Managers Strike - No PIC?
striking tues 12 till weds 12
-
robd
- Posts: 510
- Joined: 31 Jan 2007, 12:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Yorkshire
Managers Strike - No PIC?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Managers Strike - No PIC?
Interesting, you have set yourself your own Catch 22.Chewster wrote: I ultimately wouldn't let them get in the way of my days work - unless perhaps it was something I majorly cared about but even then I'd probably refrain from getting mixed up in another's business.
You don't want to get mixed up in another's business, but crossing a picket line means you have already got mixed up in their business, as is also refusing to cross the line. It should be up to each individual but before crossing, or not, a picket line I would ask everyone to ask themselves how they would feel if another worker crossed their picket line.
I won't be crossing any picket line, whatever the consequences. For me, its a point of principle and I will not surrender that principle just because managers crossed ours. I think it's an immature stance to cross their picket because they crossed ours, in a way it means if I did, I found their actions acceptable. which I don't.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Managers Strike - No PIC?
This is not official - I'll leave Royal Mail and the CWU HQ to release official guidance.
However, there are too many possible situations to go into but there is talk that even though the CWU are not on strike, any member going on strike in support of the CMA (by refusing to cross picket lines) can't be treated any differently that CMA members as it MAY be considered unlawful. It will be a similar situation to non CWU members striking when the CWU calls a strike, they can't be treated differently otherwise it could be considered as unfair. As the strike will form part of a balloted and therefore "Protected Industrial Action" then hopefully we will be considered as non- members of the striking Union.
But, if there is a picket line I will not cross it. It is, in my opinion, hypocritical to condemn management for crossing our picket lines, but then quite happily cross theirs.
If you don't cross the picket line, you won't get paid. Unless, as a result of the strike Royal Mail instruct you to cease work for H&S or legal reasons.
However, there are too many possible situations to go into but there is talk that even though the CWU are not on strike, any member going on strike in support of the CMA (by refusing to cross picket lines) can't be treated any differently that CMA members as it MAY be considered unlawful. It will be a similar situation to non CWU members striking when the CWU calls a strike, they can't be treated differently otherwise it could be considered as unfair. As the strike will form part of a balloted and therefore "Protected Industrial Action" then hopefully we will be considered as non- members of the striking Union.
If there is no picket line and the managers are working - I will work.Industrial action by non-union members
Non-union members who take part in legal, official industrial action have the same rights as union members not to be dismissed as a result of taking action.
But, if there is a picket line I will not cross it. It is, in my opinion, hypocritical to condemn management for crossing our picket lines, but then quite happily cross theirs.
If you don't cross the picket line, you won't get paid. Unless, as a result of the strike Royal Mail instruct you to cease work for H&S or legal reasons.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
WOBBLY
- Posts: 362
- Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
- Gender: Male
Managers Strike - No PIC?
How will you play it if the managers at your DO are on a picket line at a Mail Centre (as recommended to them by the CMA). i.e. There's no picket line but your DO has no PIC?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:If there is no picket line and the managers are working - I will work.
But, if there is a picket line I will not cross it. It is, in my opinion, hypocritical to condemn management for crossing our picket lines, but then quite happily cross theirs.
If you don't cross the picket line, you won't get paid. Unless, as a result of the strike Royal Mail instruct you to cease work for H&S or legal reasons.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Managers Strike - No PIC?
WOBBLY wrote:How will you play it if the managers at your DO are on a picket line at a Mail Centre (as recommended to them by the CMA). i.e. There's no picket line but your DO has no PIC?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:If there is no picket line and the managers are working - I will work.
But, if there is a picket line I will not cross it. It is, in my opinion, hypocritical to condemn management for crossing our picket lines, but then quite happily cross theirs.
If you don't cross the picket line, you won't get paid. Unless, as a result of the strike Royal Mail instruct you to cease work for H&S or legal reasons.
That's one of the myriad of possibilities I was on about. I await guidance from CWU HQ, I expect it around Friday next week
BTW can DO managers go on a picket line at an MC, isn't that secondary picketing because its not their normal place of work. Something RM has stopped us doing in the past.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
GRS
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
- Gender: Female
- Location: South West
Managers Strike - No PIC?
Thought it was illegal to picket somewhere that is not your regular place of work as it makes you a flying picket. Don't think it's a RM thing but as I said I think it's against the law.
-
WOBBLY
- Posts: 362
- Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
- Gender: Male
Managers Strike - No PIC?
TrueBlueTerrier wrote: That's one of the myriad of possibilities I was on about. I await guidance from CWU HQ, I expect it around Friday next week![]()
Thats a good point you raise, I assume it must be allowed as the CMA wouldn't be recommending it otherwise (I'd hope.....) Anyway - Its ok for RM to send workers out to other offices (i.e. not their normal place of work) so I see no reason why striking at another office is any different!!TrueBlueTerrier wrote: BTW can DO managers go on a picket line at an MC, isn't that secondary picketing because its not their normal place of work. Something RM has stopped us doing in the past.
-
WOBBLY
- Posts: 362
- Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
- Gender: Male
Managers Strike - No PIC?
Flying pickets
Flying pickets are groups of striking workers that move from one workplace to another to picket them. Usually flying pickets are illegal - you can only join a picket line at your workplace.
Trade union reps can be on picket lines at different workplaces if they’re responsible for organising workers in those workplaces.
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Managers Strike - No PIC?
What if the strike starts at midday. You could legitimately go out on delivery but find a picket line on your return.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
But, if there is a picket line I will not cross it.
How could you put your PDA and stuff back?
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Managers Strike - No PIC?
Apparently it is starting Mid-day. Luckily we have 2 entrances so I would use the Customer one if there is no picket line there. Yes its using a technicality but I won't be crossing the picket line in the morning.
However, just to add, I really don't think there will be one at my place. They've been working overtime and doing OPG work during the overtime ban and working to rule, can't see them jumping from doing everything RM ask, to defying them at a single stroke.

However, just to add, I really don't think there will be one at my place. They've been working overtime and doing OPG work during the overtime ban and working to rule, can't see them jumping from doing everything RM ask, to defying them at a single stroke.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Managers Strike - No PIC?
to be honest if we don't go into work that will support there case to get an improved pay rise , bollocks to that there already overpaid and get bonuses for doing nowt , where the ones on the street 6+ hours everyday in all weathers , I remember the last strike we had and managers where ferrying strike breakers into work acroos our picket line , so I will be in no problem.