Chewster wrote:Well I imagine it would be up to the individual union member on what he or she wants to do when faced with a picket line. Surely not wanting to cross it would be covered by the conscience clause or something? I'm a union member myself, and personally I just want to get on with my job which is to deliver mail and I don't need a manager to do that so I'll be going to work and doing my shift as normal (though I personally doubt I'll see any picket line at my office)
Bigger picture here though surely as union members we have an obligation not to demean another union's strike by crossing the picket line ( even if they are managers) hence why I have asked what is the official CWU line on this? Does anyone know?
I personally don't think that'd be demeaning another union's strike at all, it's THEIR strike, not ours. But I'm afraid I don't have any official info, hopefully TBT or POSTMAN will pop in with something
So you don't think by crossing another union's picket line and working as normal therefore nullifying the effect of their strike, that it would be demeaning? And yes hopefully someone will be along soon to give us an official line ( not having a pop at you personally)
It would be nullifying the affect of their strike if it was also my strike - but it is not my strike, I'm not a manager and I'm not in their position. For me to not cross their picket line and essentially join their strike, I would feel that I'd be doing nothing more than stirring s**t. I don't even know what they're striking for!
I'm not having a pop at you either, this is my opinion and that is your opinion
ahh debating without name calling and insults - how very refreshing thank you :-)
All I mean is in my work time I have refused to cross picket lines to deliver mail before now - as I believe as a union member I should never undermine another union's strike effort - it's never taken lightly no matter what union
Interesting ( to me at least) the opinions of other union members just because it is our managers on strike
Of course everyone has their own reasons for striking or not
Last edited by feduppostie on 24 May 2016, 20:37, edited 2 times in total.
feduppostie wrote:ahh debating without name calling and insults - how very refreshing thank you :-)
All I mean is in my work time I have refused to cross picket lines to deliver mail before now - as I believe as a union member I should never undermine another union's strike effort - it's never taken lightly no matter what union
Interesting ( to me at least) the opinions of other union members just because it is our managers on strike
Of course everyone has their own reasons for striking or not
Ah see for me it's not just because it's the managers, it's just because it's not my picket line. I can understand a fellow union member wanting to show solidarity to another union's efforts though, but to me, while I can respect and empathise with others and their picket lines/strikes (usually lol), I ultimately wouldn't let them get in the way of my days work - unless perhaps it was something I majorly cared about but even then I'd probably refrain from getting mixed up in another's business.
Perhaps it's worthwhile noting that I'm a youngster who can't remember the powerhouse unions of days gone by so perhaps where our differing opinions come from
Are you a union member? Can you not see the connection between what they get and what we get? We will not be offered more than the managers in a pay deal if there is a dispute
Are you a union member? Can you not see the connection between what they get and what we get? We will not be offered more than the managers in a pay deal if there is a dispute
I doubt there'd be a picket line at my small office but I'd gladly travel to the nearest one to cross it.
I see where you are coming from but at the end of the day every last one of them would have had no problem crossing our picket lines, phuck them
IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:My understanding is that only 10 OPGs should be in a depot under the supervision of callers office staff, in the absence of DOM and line managers.
We manage with 25 staff with no DOM and Line Manager quite often when they can't get cover
Not crossing picket lines could land our union in trouble, they could be seen, if a large majority of union members done it, as coming out in strike in sympathy with unite, and doing that unballotted would be illegal
it's worth remembering in our last strike it was rotating action distribution one day logistics then delivery, we were told then by our own union that we should cross our own pickets.
also if say an office with 20 staff had a picket line by managers, if no one crossed that line rm would have no need to open that office that day, by crossing that line and turning up for work you are actually causing rm a problem and actually supporting their strike