ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
WORKING METHODS .
-
WOBBLY
- Posts: 362
- Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
- Gender: Male
WORKING METHODS .
Seriously who finishes before their time nowadays? (apart from the runners who come in an hour early for free!!
) I can't remember the last time I did!!
Last edited by WOBBLY on 11 May 2016, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
WORKING METHODS .
I'm a part timer contracted to 4 hours per day so I never finish before my time - the one and only advantage of a part time contract, they can't go and take time off your docket if you finish good and early another day and they can't force you to do extra if you finish early :D But I do manage to finish before the DUTY time on occasion. Very rare occasions granted, but it happens.
On the original topic, it should perhaps be noted that when I started nearly 18 months ago, I was told at my induction that we were allowed bags up to 11kg. In fact, I think it was actually that your first bag can be up to 16kg, then subsequent bags up to 11kg, not sure on that one. I wasn't even aware that LWTs were a thing until I'd been with RM for about 4 months and was moved on to a duty that required the use of one. I'm fairly sure people who started after me have been told the same things too. So not only are RM not enforcing these rules, they are simply not making them known! I wouldn't have known about 5kg bag weights were it not for this forum.
On the original topic, it should perhaps be noted that when I started nearly 18 months ago, I was told at my induction that we were allowed bags up to 11kg. In fact, I think it was actually that your first bag can be up to 16kg, then subsequent bags up to 11kg, not sure on that one. I wasn't even aware that LWTs were a thing until I'd been with RM for about 4 months and was moved on to a duty that required the use of one. I'm fairly sure people who started after me have been told the same things too. So not only are RM not enforcing these rules, they are simply not making them known! I wouldn't have known about 5kg bag weights were it not for this forum.
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
WORKING METHODS .
I think a large number, if not most vans at my depot, have had at least one of the two LWTs removed.
No idea why, because on the rare time I get to use one, I find them a relative joy to use compared to a HCT that weighs ~35Kg empty of mail and typically is 85+Kg leaving the depot!
Given I don't cut across gardens or jump over walls in-between houses anyway, I don't find the LWTs slow me down at all, they should only hold 32Kg max between the two bags if I recall correctly and the LWT itself weighs <5Kg.
No idea why, because on the rare time I get to use one, I find them a relative joy to use compared to a HCT that weighs ~35Kg empty of mail and typically is 85+Kg leaving the depot!
Given I don't cut across gardens or jump over walls in-between houses anyway, I don't find the LWTs slow me down at all, they should only hold 32Kg max between the two bags if I recall correctly and the LWT itself weighs <5Kg.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
WORKING METHODS .
Wallaceshroom wrote:Why are people idiots for having bags on there backs, everyone has a different way of working, i can have a packed bag n still would prefer to put it on my back....
Because you aren't allowed to unless its the designated equipment for that loop, and then there is a weight limit.
I have no doubt that if someone has a trip or fall with a bag on their shoulder, questions will be asked and the postie blamed if its not the Mandatory equipment selected.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
WORKING METHODS .
And,pray tell,who checks? Managers are too busy playing postman,to bother, no scales to weigh any bags in our office. Accidents are not reported or refused acknowledgement, to keep the upper echelons happy, lies, lies and more lies. Disgraceful..furthermore,every postman I see, in publicity stunts etc for this organisation,has always got a bag on their shoulder.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Wallaceshroom wrote:Why are people idiots for having bags on there backs, everyone has a different way of working, i can have a packed bag n still would prefer to put it on my back....
Because you aren't allowed to unless its the designated equipment for that loop, and then there is a weight limit.
I have no doubt that if someone has a trip or fall with a bag on their shoulder, questions will be asked and the postie blamed if its not the Mandatory equipment selected.
Last edited by rubberbond on 11 May 2016, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
WORKING METHODS .
there are singleton driving duties at ours, and their duties are firms only, meaning no D2Ds and on Saturdays half their duties stay in. some are in the house/bar/allotment by 11am. we are paid til half 2.WOBBLY wrote:Seriously who finishes before their time nowadays? (apart from the runners who come in an hour early for free!!) I can't remember the last time I did!!
-
WOBBLY
- Posts: 362
- Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
- Gender: Male
WORKING METHODS .
Mines a singleton driving duty, 99% residential and only 2 Sat retentions! On Sat I have a larger collection route (i drive through three other full time duty areasdaveyeff wrote:there are singleton driving duties at ours, and their duties are firms only, meaning no D2Ds and on Saturdays half their duties stay in. some are in the house/bar/allotment by 11am. we are paid til half 2.WOBBLY wrote:Seriously who finishes before their time nowadays? (apart from the runners who come in an hour early for free!!) I can't remember the last time I did!!
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
WORKING METHODS .
We've got a couple of them too. All firms plus they do some of the HCT duty's large packets, and they are still back before everyone else! A few of the rurals seem to finish quite early as well, but I think that's more down to people driving round like Evel Knieveldaveyeff wrote:there are singleton driving duties at ours, and their duties are firms only, meaning no D2Ds and on Saturdays half their duties stay in. some are in the house/bar/allotment by 11am. we are paid til half 2.WOBBLY wrote:Seriously who finishes before their time nowadays? (apart from the runners who come in an hour early for free!!) I can't remember the last time I did!!
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
WORKING METHODS .
No one, unless you have a good H&S rep - we do.rubberbond wrote:And,pray tell,who checks?
Thats the way RM will always be.rubberbond wrote:Managers are too busy playing postman,to bother, no scales to weigh any bags in our office. Accidents are not reported or refused acknowledgement, to keep the upper echelons happy, lies, lies and more lies. Disgraceful..furthermore,every postman I see, in publicity stunts etc for this organisation,has always got a bag on their shoulder.
However it still doesn't change things
http://healthwalkers.com/images/HealthWalkers_man.gif and a pouch. "Nothing wrong", no one sees it and no one is bothered.
https://media4.giphy.com/media/r00LEeXVOt0xG/100.gifBut when this happens, then watch who gets blamed
But even if that doesn't happen, Still a few decades or so down the line - http://www.jimhaynes.org/files/old_man_walking_with_walker_sm_clr.gif ultimately who can they blame but themselves when they knew the risks.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
WORKING METHODS .
There will always be postmen and women that carry bags on the shoulder and most of them have been doing it that way for years. I suspect Royal Mail really wanted to enforce the trolleys provided but then gave us a get-out clause for not using them when delivering to flats. For reasons of the security of mail, it just means that posties carry on doing what they have always done - bags on the shoulder. For many of them it is more convenient and quicker than back-tracking up the garden path when they could just cut across.
It probably saves them 5-10 minutes a loop by not using the trolley, which when added by 6 or 7 loops equates to nearly a full hour! I read all the comments and it is true that Royal Mail have created a bit of a monster that we all know only too well. You get some guys that use trolleys want loops taken off them on busy days and you get some guys who routinely come in early, forfeit breaks, dash round and finish early regardless.
But in light of the fact that managers were prepared to strike not just over pay but for things like taking out deliveries, I can't see them forcing every staff in our office to start using the trolleys. I mean its bad enough that I see managers taking out our work without hearing that one or two are carrying bags on the shoulder as well!!
It probably saves them 5-10 minutes a loop by not using the trolley, which when added by 6 or 7 loops equates to nearly a full hour! I read all the comments and it is true that Royal Mail have created a bit of a monster that we all know only too well. You get some guys that use trolleys want loops taken off them on busy days and you get some guys who routinely come in early, forfeit breaks, dash round and finish early regardless.
But in light of the fact that managers were prepared to strike not just over pay but for things like taking out deliveries, I can't see them forcing every staff in our office to start using the trolleys. I mean its bad enough that I see managers taking out our work without hearing that one or two are carrying bags on the shoulder as well!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
Supermac0151
- Posts: 72
- Joined: 11 Apr 2015, 08:28
- Gender: Male
WORKING METHODS .
each to their own. everyone knows the advantages/disadvantages to carrying a bag on their shoulder. in all fairness i use a bag on my shoulder so does my colleague, but we adjust walks to weight limits depending on that days traffics...i.e if its heavy we'll create an extra couple loops to lightne the load. it has zero effect on my shoulders because the bags are manageable. nothing compared to before our revision where you was carrying a quarter of a walk in one bag with parcels trying to jump out!! if a trolley suits your round and ability to complete in time without any injury or unneccessary pressure then thats great...same for bags on shoulders.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
WORKING METHODS .
I do have a bag over my shoulder all day to be honest. You do kind of need to unless you can take your HCT or LWT up to every single address, which you just would not do if you have say, a dead end street/cul-de-sac. And of course if you're on a park and loop and your "loop" is literally one bundle. But even if I've got nothing else in my bag, I've always got my PDA in there, if I tried carrying it in my pocket I'd have my trousers round my ankles by the end of the day and not in a fun way! But it could be argued that the PDA itself is heavier than a lot of bundles or packets 
-
Supermac0151
- Posts: 72
- Joined: 11 Apr 2015, 08:28
- Gender: Male
WORKING METHODS .
chewster....oh how i do love the 'one bundle loop' bags!!
thing is the loops are a template for the walk...can always create more and make it easier.....lads in our place manipulate the walks to suit...extra loops etc its finding a method that works for you without causing you to go over or causing injury.
thing is the loops are a template for the walk...can always create more and make it easier.....lads in our place manipulate the walks to suit...extra loops etc its finding a method that works for you without causing you to go over or causing injury.