We've ourselves paid for a skill by our own choice, I doubt there's anyone here that went and got a licence specifically for Royal Mail. And we're only at risk of prosecution and points if we don't follow the rules of the road...same as driving your own car in your own time...Lounge Lizard wrote:It's not like being the driver is any harder but we've ourselves paid for a skill that Royal Mail needs and during the working day are at risk of prosecution for road traffic offences and points on our license that could increase the cost of insurance.Chewster wrote:Most drivers loops in my office are shorter. But really, it's not like being the driver is any harder. And what about those of us who get shifted from duty to duty?![]()
And non-drivers sharing a van could ask themselves whether they would rather be out on their own pushing a high capacity trolley.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Non drivers
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Non drivers
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Non drivers
No, some learnt to drive in case it was needed for employment and don't have a car of their own.Chewster wrote:We've ourselves paid for a skill by our own choice, I doubt there's anyone here that went and got a licence specifically for Royal Mail. And we're only at risk of prosecution and points if we don't follow the rules of the road...same as driving your own car in your own time...Lounge Lizard wrote:It's not like being the driver is any harder but we've ourselves paid for a skill that Royal Mail needs and during the working day are at risk of prosecution for road traffic offences and points on our license that could increase the cost of insurance.Chewster wrote:Most drivers loops in my office are shorter. But really, it's not like being the driver is any harder. And what about those of us who get shifted from duty to duty?![]()
And non-drivers sharing a van could ask themselves whether they would rather be out on their own pushing a high capacity trolley.
-
HarryPoorer
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 06 Jul 2011, 21:07
- Gender: Male
Non drivers
It's the stress of driving and risking our clean license we should be paid more for.
-
edo4442
- Posts: 26
- Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 12:59
Non drivers
And dont forget, if you have an accident, you need to let your insurance company know, therefore has potential to increase your car insurance. And, the lovely van check every day, that they have not built into our duty time in our office. And, getting hit with all the oversized parcels to deliver, and the passengers parcels because they cant be arsed using a trolly, oh and going back to the DO yourself to empty the van, because the passenger finishes in the street, all my driver loops ARE longer than the passengers, the third degree you get when you do have an accident, and the threat of the conduct code ... - I could go on, and on.
UPS pay their drivers £14 per hour, and you get full time hours, food for thought !
UPS pay their drivers £14 per hour, and you get full time hours, food for thought !
-
blakeyboy
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Non drivers
Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the wage I'm on but I genuinely feel I should be on more for driving than a non driver is
-
edo4442
- Posts: 26
- Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 12:59
Non drivers
No, all you need is a normal driving license with 0 penalty points.dfubster wrote:But surely UPS only pay £14 an hour for HGV/LGV drivers?
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Non drivers
I completely disagree with all of your points about being paid more but lets not dwell on that. I'd still like to know, what would you suggest for those of us who are sometimes on a driving duty and sometimes aren't? Should we get paid more for just having done our van assessment? Or should we write on our docket "DRIVER" ?
-
ej88
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 00:20
- Gender: Female
Non drivers
This annoys the life out of me.
The driver is expected to do van checks daily/weekly check, deliver all the big parcels the walker can't or WONT take in their bag!
And run around doing the specials that they wouldn't make in time...
And only one loop is slightly shorter on the duty I do - just enough time to sort the van into some sort of order.
The driver is expected to do van checks daily/weekly check, deliver all the big parcels the walker can't or WONT take in their bag!
And run around doing the specials that they wouldn't make in time...
And only one loop is slightly shorter on the duty I do - just enough time to sort the van into some sort of order.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Non drivers
I'm sure I've seen UPS job ads in the past offering the £10-12 odd for a normal licence, though I think you had to have held it for so long in order to apply...could be wrong on thatdfubster wrote:You've not got a link have you as the only vacancies I've found are £10.36 per hour, rising to £12.74, (or a few pence difference) this is with a C1 licence (7.5 tonne)edo4442 wrote:No, all you need is a normal driving license with 0 penalty points.dfubster wrote:But surely UPS only pay £14 an hour for HGV/LGV drivers?
BTW I'm not trying to call you out on this, I'm genuinely interested at getting a position with UPS!
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Non drivers
So does the "walker" finish earlier than you and if so why?ej88 wrote:This annoys the life out of me.
The driver is expected to do van checks daily/weekly check, deliver all the big parcels the walker can't or WONT take in their bag!
And run around doing the specials that they wouldn't make in time...
And only one loop is slightly shorter on the duty I do - just enough time to sort the van into some sort of order.
I love doing all the van checks, delivering all the big parcels and all the specials because it's the easiest part of the job, if I could do 4 hours of that it would be a wonderful job. If I wasn't doing that I would be walking even longer.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Non drivers
our duty has been planned so that the passenger (me) has larger loops, giving the driver time to scurry off and do some large packets/reggies etc after he finishes his loops which is sometimes 20mins less than mine. depending on which partner ive got, sometimes the driver will take part of my loops so we finish at the same time, then we go and do the large packets/reggies together. works for us and we are happy with the arrangement. many at our office do the same.
-
ej88
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 00:20
- Gender: Female
Non drivers
It does just depend on who you are on with but yes quite alot the non driver will actually be standing about waiting on you getting back from doing parcels - some of them don't even bother looking at the specials n rely on the driver saying you've got a special you could take on this loop! It obviously differs in other offices but when it's like that and the driver has their own loops, parcels and specials to do, I think they should get a driver supplement.
-
Kings Norton
- Posts: 320
- Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 17:20
- Gender: Male
Non drivers
Drivers has the stress of dealing with a different route everyday where as the walker does the same thing day in day out and takes the piss trying to give the driver little boxes like a size of a cadburys milk tray box. Personally I would get rid of non drivers...
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Non drivers
typical self centred old school driver patter. there are singleton driving duties in our office that are firms only. don't get D2Ds and only deliver to businesses. they are in the house for 11 o clock Saturday mornings. would you get rid of that lot also.?
-
enskied
- Posts: 1877
- Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
- Gender: Male
Non drivers
Even if you get rid of non drivers you would still have a non driver as a partner. Only one member of a team is desicnated the Driver, and usually chooses that option themselves when signing for a duty. Petty arguements like this between co-workers is why we never get anything constructive done about our working conditions or workload.Kings Norton wrote:Drivers has the stress of dealing with a different route everyday where as the walker does the same thing day in day out and takes the piss trying to give the driver little boxes like a size of a cadburys milk tray box. Personally I would get rid of non drivers...