postslippete wrote:If the business wants to push for later finish times then it will - but it will usually try and get a agreement with the Union first before rolling out any changes in your area.
Your Area Rep should be your first port of call.
Yes all changes planed or even rumoured should be communicated to the rep first and if no joy the area rep so as we can get a handle on what they are up to they the Royal Mail want an easy transition so they do it by stealth!
My experience of Privatised businesses is that they will try and negotiate any agreements to Terms and Conditions, and then if they don't get agreement they will impose them. I m sure there will be a sweetner like the 0.37% Pay rise and maybe some more shares ( divided up from all those who have left the business before October because they ve had enough).
Our rep gave us a CWU circular last week which documented a load of agenda agreements I cannot ever remember being balloted for or having proposed as a mandate. I trust the NEC to negotiate on our behalf but there's so many Chinese whispers at the moment it would be good to actually know whats going on.
Tend to agree with Dorset Plodder though, no point in stressing about things until we know the facts
salomon2 wrote:Unfortunately I don't think needing to get children from school is going to be an accepted argument in the future for any business as all schools are going to eventually offer wrap around care, or childminders who are local to the school, sooner rather than later. I'm fortunate as mine are now older and at high school so are fine to go home alone, I'm really not sure I would have even considered this job if I had young children as it's far from family friendly!
Wait until they're old enough to have their own kids! Then you've got to try and finish earlier enough to pick up the Grandkids! Our society relies heavily on the extended Family to help with childcare, so RM should bear that in mind as well.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
SpacePhoenix wrote:You'd more likely be looking at a start time of 09:00 or later. The only early starters would be those doing 9am specials. There'd be virtually no chance of the sequenced mail getting to any DOs to enable starts before 09:00
and if you lead on from that, if the first office off the machine is getting a 0900 start what time will the last office off the machine get? that's where it will start to get interesting with start and finish times
I went to an AGM this year and heard that the last office off the machines wouldn't get mail till after 3pm.
Is this possible.
salomon2 wrote:Unfortunately I don't think needing to get children from school is going to be an accepted argument in the future for any business as all schools are going to eventually offer wrap around care, or childminders who are local to the school, sooner rather than later. I'm fortunate as mine are now older and at high school so are fine to go home alone, I'm really not sure I would have even considered this job if I had young children as it's far from family friendly!
Wait until they're old enough to have their own kids! Then you've got to try and finish earlier enough to pick up the Grandkids! Our society relies heavily on the extended Family to help with childcare, so RM should bear that in mind as well.
I dont think they care any more about anything but themselves so f**k the future for our bonus or their bonus should I say for we don't get one any more!
SpacePhoenix wrote:You'd more likely be looking at a start time of 09:00 or later. The only early starters would be those doing 9am specials. There'd be virtually no chance of the sequenced mail getting to any DOs to enable starts before 09:00
and if you lead on from that, if the first office off the machine is getting a 0900 start what time will the last office off the machine get? that's where it will start to get interesting with start and finish times
We have CSS machines in our office, the CSS manager has said that the last office wouldn't get their mail until the afternoon under one wave and it's just not possible to do it. (Some offices may service a smaller area obviously, but it doesn't seem viable for many),
Royal Mail can change the start and finish times as late as they want for all I care. However I won't be extending past my duty time if that's the case.
Some offices already have a 3 pm finish time, a situation which is fully exploited by the unscrupulous managerial scumbags who know that people will come in early and skip their breaks to finish in time to pick up their kids from school.
Nondescript wrote:Some offices already have a 3 pm finish time, a situation which is fully exploited by the unscrupulous managerial scumbags who know that people will come in early and skip their breaks to finish in time to pick up their kids from school.
My office has been on a 3pm finish for over 5 years and one or two people do exactly this rather than face the stress of arguing their corner every single day.
SpacePhoenix wrote:You'd more likely be looking at a start time of 09:00 or later. The only early starters would be those doing 9am specials. There'd be virtually no chance of the sequenced mail getting to any DOs to enable starts before 09:00
and if you lead on from that, if the first office off the machine is getting a 0900 start what time will the last office off the machine get? that's where it will start to get interesting with start and finish times
I went to an AGM this year and heard that the last office off the machines wouldn't get mail till after 3pm.
Is this possible.
think about that. if that was allowed to happen, by the time you got out on delivery it would be after 4pm. last letter ten o clock at night. absolute garbage. won't happen.
rambo1 wrote:And in winter, we'll be finishing our rounds in pitch black. Probably haven't thought of this untill it happens knowing the super planning capacity of royal mail top bosses.
Could be a return of the Royal Mail lamps issued to all delivery staff!
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts. Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility. If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
rambo1 wrote:And in winter, we'll be finishing our rounds in pitch black. Probably haven't thought of this untill it happens knowing the super planning capacity of royal mail top bosses.
Could be a return of the Royal Mail lamps issued to all delivery staff!
ha ha i think i still have mine in the loft somewhere.