ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
steve522
Posts: 25
Joined: 16 Jan 2014, 13:35
Gender: Male

Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data

Post by steve522 »

i didnt have a single 2D barcode scan today. Tried to scan about 20. not a single one worked!!
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data

Post by NewPostieUK »

SpacePhoenix wrote: Part of the data in the 2D barcodes is the address that the item is going to. RM can tell from that how many should be scanned on a given walk.
I don't understand this. How would my manager know that I had 10 2d codes to scan today? Are you saying they have already been scanned before being allocated to my duty? Who scanned them? And if half of them won't scan for me, how did they scan for someone else?
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data

Post by BeamishStout »

NewPostieUK wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote: Part of the data in the 2D barcodes is the address that the item is going to. RM can tell from that how many should be scanned on a given walk.
I don't understand this. How would my manager know that I had 10 2d codes to scan today? Are you saying they have already been scanned before being allocated to my duty? Who scanned them? And if half of them won't scan for me, how did they scan for someone else?
MC's are attempting to scan them I believe but according to my source they are having as many issues as delivery staff are in scanning them. I had one successful scan today (an improvement over yesterday's total failure) :crazy:

A total dog's ....
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data

Post by nickbsmooth »

It's time some of these options were removed, recorded 1st or 2nd class,tracked,tracked Sig,special. It's overly complex at the point of sale for customer and hassle all the way along. The old PDA will scan a 2D but it's only reading minimal information as the PDA can't read full 2D info,I guess it's currently used to collect data as to deliver volumes in various offices.
Mezza
Posts: 405
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 21:56
Location: West London

Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data

Post by Mezza »

I can't help but wonder how all of a sudden our lowest priced items such as regular parcels and packets, are getting as good a service as our premium products ie Special delivery?

I understand the need to compete with other delivery firms but this whole process must be costing a mint to implement for what must be little or no increase in revenue other than some form of data.
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
Posts: 182
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
Gender: Male

Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data

Post by CAMPINGBLUNDERER »

I'm sure the plan is to make the data available to retailers / marketing companies etc in the same way the postcode data is commercially available.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12202
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data

Post by SpacePhoenix »

For every other company tracking all the way is part of the basic service. I've had stuff delivered in the past by other couriers where I could see on a map where the delivery driver's van was, how many deliveries were before mine and an estimate of when the delivery will be made. RM is way behind the opposition when it comes to tracking
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data

Post by Chewster »

SpacePhoenix wrote:For every other company tracking all the way is part of the basic service. I've had stuff delivered in the past by other couriers where I could see on a map where the delivery driver's van was, how many deliveries were before mine and an estimate of when the delivery will be made. RM is way behind the opposition when it comes to tracking
I think the long term aim of scanning everything is to catch up with the competition on that front
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Definitely a "First World Problem" when you're sat at home monitoring where your parcel is. :hmmmm Personally I just order something and then forget about it until it arrives on my doorstep. I have enough of Customers quizzing me on how long a parcel should take to be delivered! "Are you sure you haven't got a parcel for me in your van"? "Yeah I thought I'd just walk past you and not say anything"! :crazy: Do do realise we're not the ONLY people that deliver parcels, don't you? :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Aquarius
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 148
Joined: 20 Apr 2008, 11:40

Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data

Post by Aquarius »

Let's not forget the other reason for scanning - internal data across the whole network.
The fact is RM has no idea how many items are in the system esp packets.
It's pretty much an estimated guess every day.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data

Post by robbertwhitton »

Am sure this isn't our problem.we have more things to worry about surely?another ill concieved idea with little thought that maybe they don't scan properly all the time,just like the PDAs on collections etc it's laughable.
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data

Post by BeamishStout »

dandydon wrote:Let's not forget the other reason for scanning - internal data across the whole network.
The fact is RM has no idea how many items are in the system esp packets.
It's pretty much an estimated guess every day.
And it will continue to be an estimated guess judging by the hit 'n' miss of scans both in MCs and LDOs. Might as well just do as they presently do - count the number of Yorks coming into LDOs and do a 'rough' translation into actual packets :crazy:
soi6tiger
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 08:37
Gender: Male

Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data

Post by soi6tiger »

I work in a mail centre in the north of England, people on outward primary packets have been told to scan every 2d barcode, some of the barcodes will not scan........ ill thought out idea..... nuff said !!!
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data

Post by steve1873 »

SpacePhoenix wrote:For every other company tracking all the way is part of the basic service. I've had stuff delivered in the past by other couriers where I could see on a map where the delivery driver's van was, how many deliveries were before mine and an estimate of when the delivery will be made. RM is way behind the opposition when it comes to tracking
And that will NEVER be practical for Royal Mail, whilst we operate a letters and parcels system of delivery. Especially when deliveries are scheduled to run until 3-4pm in some areas and SD items require 1pm delivery at latest, meaning rerouting on an ad-hoc basis depending on where on the delivery the specials are for. As well as various other factors.

"Steve has your parcel, which is delivery number 447. He is currently doing.... his lapsing"
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

0900: Eric is your Postman, he will be delivering your order today. He is currently 2 streets away (400 yds) has 634 more houses to do and should arrive by 15:45 :left: :left: :left: :left:

Or more likely - Erics PDA battery has expired - we don't know when he'll get to you.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.