Like others I've found some scan and others don't. I welcome this technology if the Packets can now be tracked to a particular walk. We have several walks that have more than their Fair Share of parcels. I'm sick of being told "The Traffic figures are low, you shouldn't need to Claim Pressure Overtime"!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data
Have you noticed these 2D boxes appearing in the windows of some mail? I've even attempted to scan these, although unsuccessfully so far. Basically I just scan anything that's got a Barcode on it and have extended it to these Bloody Boxes!
Like others I've found some scan and others don't. I welcome this technology if the Packets can now be tracked to a particular walk. We have several walks that have more than their Fair Share of parcels. I'm sick of being told "The Traffic figures are low, you shouldn't need to Claim Pressure Overtime"!
How the hell do you know how many parcels I've got. Hopefullly in the future they will know! 
Like others I've found some scan and others don't. I welcome this technology if the Packets can now be tracked to a particular walk. We have several walks that have more than their Fair Share of parcels. I'm sick of being told "The Traffic figures are low, you shouldn't need to Claim Pressure Overtime"!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Pathfinder
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 208
- Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 13:50
- Gender: Male
Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data
It's a farce. I try to scan the 2d holding the pda at various distances, scanning it up and down looking like a right idiot while the customer stands there - I try to keep a smile when In reality feel like having a basil faulty meltdown and hitting the pda with a tree..
What's just as annoying is when you're trying to pick up the 2d and the pda zaps the 1d!

What's just as annoying is when you're trying to pick up the 2d and the pda zaps the 1d!
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data
And trying it twice will not make the job any longer will it guess these Muppet managers believe the video with the plank and nails and a piece of string as well who the f**k do they think we are!trythat wrote:We've told try twice and then deliver as normal, which I know sounds quite sensibleI would do as others have suggested, get on to rep, it's not right, also get in touch with Area rep to see if it's happening in any other DO in your area. I don't see them being able to have any idea on the number of barcoded pkts for a while yet.
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data
They don't believe it any more than we do. They'd just swim a mile of **** to **** a dead mans **** if it earned them a larger bonus off the sweat from our backs.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
miles_peters
- Posts: 298
- Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
- Gender: Male
Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data
2D barcodes are a liberty.
managers putting pressure on us when royal mail themselves have failed its delivery staff by making them unreliable to scan, then questioning us as to why they were not scanned, total cheek. and the ones that do scan take forever to scan. they give us more and more work but don't give us more time to do it in. they just expect us to kill ourselves each day to get it done.
managers putting pressure on us when royal mail themselves have failed its delivery staff by making them unreliable to scan, then questioning us as to why they were not scanned, total cheek. and the ones that do scan take forever to scan. they give us more and more work but don't give us more time to do it in. they just expect us to kill ourselves each day to get it done.
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data
It may be proof enough for customers but doesn't pass muster for PayPal/eBay's conditions of proof if I recall correctly.postslippete wrote:Royal Mail will roll out these 2D barcodes on a large scale because they are hoping that parcels/letters that are scanned at the point of delivery will be sufficient proof of delivery for most purposes, including eBay and Paypal.
In which case why would a customer in future want to pay extra to send a parcel/letter via recorded delivery just to obtain a signature? Why would a customer pay extra to get their item 'tracked' if it can also be tracked by the 2D barcode which the customer does not currently pay extra for?
Maybe its a winner in that respect for the customer because they don't have to pay extra - but because some of these barcodes can be difficult to blip and with no means of inputting manually, I can't really see it happening just yet.
and the RM don't make it easy to claim for lost parcels. You want WHAT? Proof of cost on an Lp I bought 30 years ago? Hold on I'll have a look in my Tardis...
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data
The 2D barcodes are naff. Had at least 4 today out of about 40 that wouldn't scan.
Maybe with the new PDA it'll improve.
Maybe with the new PDA it'll improve.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12202
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data
Part of the data in the 2D barcodes is the address that the item is going to. RM can tell from that how many should be scanned on a given walk.crazyshrew wrote:Issue No 1. How can they have any idea how many any postie should be scanning?? I assume there are some details in the system, but there is absolutely not record through the system. We have no Idea how many of these actually get to our office each day so how can they say how many should have been scanned on each walk that day.
With the 2D ones that won't scan, do many of them look like they've been printed on an inkjet printer?
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3732
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data
Further flies in the ointment causing alleged 'you didn't scan these barcodes on this day' could be:
packets that get missorted and take an extra day or so to get to the right DO or sub DO, so the 'data' knows
that it got to the main DO and today it should be at sub DO 'X' for scanning on delivery but it's actually been missorted to sub DO 'Y'
and has got to get all the way back to main DO and then back to 'X'
and
the usual PDA uploading of data failures......
packets that get missorted and take an extra day or so to get to the right DO or sub DO, so the 'data' knows
that it got to the main DO and today it should be at sub DO 'X' for scanning on delivery but it's actually been missorted to sub DO 'Y'
and has got to get all the way back to main DO and then back to 'X'
and
the usual PDA uploading of data failures......
-
salomon2
- Posts: 103
- Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
- Gender: Female
Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data
The new pda's scan them much better, thank goodness! We go live in our office with new pda's next week or the week after when everyone has had the training!
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3732
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data
Thought it was just barcodes on the outside of packets and parcels (but have actually seen them and scanned them successfully on itemsDorset Plodder wrote:Have you noticed these 2D boxes appearing in the windows of some mail? I've even attempted to scan these, although unsuccessfully so far. Basically I just scan anything that's got a Barcode on it and have extended it to these Bloody Boxes!![]()
with postage paid as 'Large Letter'). Like yourself have tried scanning a barcode in the window of a letter but it just came up 'Invalid barcode'.
YB
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data
I sent a parcel today and the barcode they put on the parcel at the P.O. looked like it had been drawn on with a blunt black crayon by a blind child using his toes.SpacePhoenix wrote:Part of the data in the 2D barcodes is the address that the item is going to. RM can tell from that how many should be scanned on a given walk.crazyshrew wrote:Issue No 1. How can they have any idea how many any postie should be scanning?? I assume there are some details in the system, but there is absolutely not record through the system. We have no Idea how many of these actually get to our office each day so how can they say how many should have been scanned on each walk that day.
With the 2D ones that won't scan, do many of them look like they've been printed on an inkjet printer?
That's one parcel that definitely WONT scan. Sorry posties of OX4
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data
Sir Henry wrote:It may be proof enough for customers but doesn't pass muster for PayPal/eBay's conditions of proof if I recall correctly.postslippete wrote:Royal Mail will roll out these 2D barcodes on a large scale because they are hoping that parcels/letters that are scanned at the point of delivery will be sufficient proof of delivery for most purposes, including eBay and Paypal.
In which case why would a customer in future want to pay extra to send a parcel/letter via recorded delivery just to obtain a signature? Why would a customer pay extra to get their item 'tracked' if it can also be tracked by the 2D barcode which the customer does not currently pay extra for?
Maybe its a winner in that respect for the customer because they don't have to pay extra - but because some of these barcodes can be difficult to blip and with no means of inputting manually, I can't really see it happening just yet.
and the RM don't make it easy to claim for lost parcels. You want WHAT? Proof of cost on an Lp I bought 30 years ago? Hold on I'll have a look in my Tardis...
Not 30 years, but I think its 90 days that you have in which to make a claim for a lost parcel. And Royal Mail are hoping that it will pass muster for Paypal/eBay's conditions of proof as it works on the same basis as a Tracked item that has been scanned by your PDA. eBay terms and cons do state that items must be 'trackable' as proof as postage and whilst I may not be Doctor Who Im guessing that that strange square thing does resemble something of a barcode.
RM don't make it easy to claim for lost parcels but one must wonder why they have made such a huge investment in its IT systems, introducing the most state of the art technology (I know we ain't got our handed scanners yet) and all its processes to accommodate these barcodes - other than to p*ss posties like us off.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
veryn
- Posts: 82
- Joined: 30 Jan 2011, 09:10
- Gender: Male
Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data
I don't get this' holding more information'
What more information do they need!!!? What the weather was like that day? What I had for breakfast?
It's all crap.
What more information do they need!!!? What the weather was like that day? What I had for breakfast?
It's all crap.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Watch out - unreliable 2D Barcode data
A 1d bar code has no data except the bar code. The barcode will show where its been scanned on a tracking site and thats it. Even with a scanner all the barcode gives you is bar code numbers itself.veryn wrote:I don't get this' holding more information'
What more information do they need!!!? What the weather was like that day? What I had for breakfast?
It's all crap.
A 2d bar code has the possibility of encoding the originators address, the destination address, the 1d Bar Code, the operator who processed it, the route it should take in a fully automated system, which duty the address is on etc. All of this will be available to view on any scanner that has been programmed to display whatever data is encoded.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.