Why should we lose money over them? did they lose money over us?Rumple wrote:And if you're prepared to cross theirs you're just as bad as them.daveyeff wrote:they crossed OUR picket line when we were on strike without batting an eyelid.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
To Cross or Not to Cross that is the question.
-
Kings Norton
- Posts: 320
- Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 17:20
- Gender: Male
To Cross or Not to Cross that is the question.
-
Whysoslowyehcfc
- Posts: 238
- Joined: 02 Apr 2014, 15:57
- Gender: Male
To Cross or Not to Cross that is the question.
DirtyHarry wrote:Cross their picket line?
I'd f***ing dance across it with two fingers on each hand giving them the traditional salute.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
To Cross or Not to Cross that is the question.
It's not an issue that effects posties so why would we entertain walking out? If posties were stepping in to assume temp-manager responsibilities that would be wrong.
End of the day if management aren't in I doubt the office can function anyway just in case somebody does something monumentally stupid, so they have enough power without us.
End of the day if management aren't in I doubt the office can function anyway just in case somebody does something monumentally stupid, so they have enough power without us.
-
korky
- Posts: 797
- Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28
To Cross or Not to Cross that is the question.
they crossed ours to do our jobs, even if only for special deliveries,norm wrote:It's not an issue that effects posties so why would we entertain walking out? If posties were stepping in to assume temp-manager responsibilities that would be wrong.
End of the day if management aren't in I doubt the office can function anyway just in case somebody does something monumentally stupid, so they have enough power without us.
but regardless you would be crossing a picket line, they obviously don't have a conscience or principles but not sure i could cross even theirs,
i didn't deliver mail to another company that was on strike, told manager beforehand and he said just endorse it and bring back.
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
To Cross or Not to Cross that is the question.
Will the Work Place Coaches be made up to managers for each strike day, to allow OPGs to enter the depots? 
-
ratchet
- Posts: 210
- Joined: 03 Dec 2012, 13:12
- Gender: Male
- Location: Buggered off to France
To Cross or Not to Cross that is the question.
Sums it up nicelyDirtyHarry wrote:Cross their picket line?
I'd f***ing dance across it with two fingers on each hand giving them the traditional salute.
I am no longer a number :-)
-
tpost
- Posts: 245
- Joined: 26 May 2007, 13:33
- Gender: Male
- Location: Thames house
To Cross or Not to Cross that is the question.
They won't go on strike, just hot air by their union. 
-
CharlesSpooner
- Posts: 383
- Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
- Gender: Male
To Cross or Not to Cross that is the question.
Nothing wrong with crossing their picket line.
I'm crossing that line of managers to perform my work as an OPG - Not to perform their managerial work. If somebody tries to instruct me to perform managerial duties in absence of striking managers then I will refuse. I had no problem with managers crossing our line to do manager's work when we were striking. The problem came about when they started performing the work of the strikers.
It's like when workers strike outside a building and try to stop the post. I'm not going in to perform their work, I'm delivering the bloody mail - that's not their job and doesn't harm the effects of their strike.
I'm crossing that line of managers to perform my work as an OPG - Not to perform their managerial work. If somebody tries to instruct me to perform managerial duties in absence of striking managers then I will refuse. I had no problem with managers crossing our line to do manager's work when we were striking. The problem came about when they started performing the work of the strikers.
It's like when workers strike outside a building and try to stop the post. I'm not going in to perform their work, I'm delivering the bloody mail - that's not their job and doesn't harm the effects of their strike.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
To Cross or Not to Cross that is the question.
It comes down to principle or revenge. It sounds high-handed but I will never surrender my principles just because they surrendered theirs. If I crossed ANY pricket (SWIDT) line it means I am no better than them. But everyone else has the same choice and I am not going to condemn anyone for crossing, I'll be disappointed, but that's the choice people have.Kings Norton wrote:Why should we lose money over them? did they lose money over us?Rumple wrote:And if you're prepared to cross theirs you're just as bad as them.daveyeff wrote:they crossed OUR picket line when we were on strike without batting an eyelid.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
CharlesSpooner
- Posts: 383
- Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
- Gender: Male
To Cross or Not to Cross that is the question.
But why not TrueBlue?
You're crossing the picket line to do YOUR job. Not theirs - I'm fully in agreement that you don't cross a picket to perform the strikers work, but to go in and do a different job? I've no problem with that just as I had no problem with managers crossing our lines to manage people who weren't there. I did have a problem with the one's who went in and performed OPG work though.
Our Union has sanctioned similar methods in the past with different parts of the network striking at different times to cause a knock-on effect in the hopes of leaving those of us not yet striking with little or nothing to do*. Were we not technically crossing the picket lines then?
*I could be wrong here
You're crossing the picket line to do YOUR job. Not theirs - I'm fully in agreement that you don't cross a picket to perform the strikers work, but to go in and do a different job? I've no problem with that just as I had no problem with managers crossing our lines to manage people who weren't there. I did have a problem with the one's who went in and performed OPG work though.
Our Union has sanctioned similar methods in the past with different parts of the network striking at different times to cause a knock-on effect in the hopes of leaving those of us not yet striking with little or nothing to do*. Were we not technically crossing the picket lines then?
*I could be wrong here
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
To Cross or Not to Cross that is the question.
norm wrote:It's not an issue that effects posties so why would we entertain walking out? If posties were stepping in to assume temp-manager responsibilities that would be wrong.
End of the day if management aren't in I doubt the office can function anyway just in case somebody does something monumentally stupid, so they have enough power without us.
Surely pay is an issue that affects us. Yes, it's about THEIR pay deal, But humour me for a moment and join me in fantasyland. Managers go on strike or just the threat of the strike manages to secure them a half decent pay deal.
Where does that leave us? In a much better position to argue for a decent deal ourselves.
A hell of a lot of the crap, that gets put on to us, such as lapsing every day all year round, comes from higher up than our linos and DoMs. No not all handle the pressure well and that makes it hard for them to get sympathy from us but whose fault is it that we have such bad managers? Royal Mail's of course, they don't seem to invest in the training and look at cold hard numbers rather than a whole picture of how each team in DO's is working.
If RM Paid their managers more and treated them better, maybe they'd be able to successfully recruit some good ones in rather than relying on failed postmen, or graduates who can be paid peanuts because they have no idea how the real world works.
We often hear about phenomenal wages paid to managers in private and public sector organisations. And that's because they want to attract the best. Not just whoever will work for what they'll pay.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
To Cross or Not to Cross that is the question.
Would managers cross a picket line if a strike were to happen, for example, I support of a sacked opg?
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
To Cross or Not to Cross that is the question.
You are correct and it was a tactic that caused problems and confusion.CharlesSpooner wrote:
Our Union has sanctioned similar methods in the past with different parts of the network striking at different times to cause a knock-on effect in the hopes of leaving those of us not yet striking with little or nothing to do*. Were we not technically crossing the picket lines then?
*I could be wrong here
I would guess that TBT is probably about the same age as me and to those of us that remember the Loony Left, crossing a picket line is just wrong.
When confronted with a picket line on our duty (firemen/journalists/health workers/social workers) we would not cross their picket lines to deliver the mail. Not in a million years. It is just wrong.
It doesn't matter if I think they are bad trade unionists, they are still trade unionists and should be supported.
I have stood on picket lines with people I wouldn't normally give the time of day.
I do find it quite ironic that you could be sacked by one of the very people you are supporting simply because you are supporting them.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
To Cross or Not to Cross that is the question.
and they wouldn't hesitate to do it either. '' f**k em''
-
eggraidonmojo
- Posts: 120
- Joined: 06 Nov 2012, 16:44
- Gender: Male
To Cross or Not to Cross that is the question.
So, what would the chances of dismissal for not crossing the line be? Orders wouldn't come for your lino obviously, but from on high...motherhubbard wrote:I do find it quite ironic that you could be sacked by one of the very people you are supporting simply because you are supporting them.
I doubt there would be a picket line at my office. In a way, I'd prefer it if there was, because it'd give me an excuse not to cross it. If I said I'm not coming to work because I'm not crossing an hypothetical picket line, well, people would think me odd.