ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

MRM.COM: Keep it safe Understanding when to use safe place

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

MRM.COM: Keep it safe Understanding when to use safe place

Post by steve1873 »

robbertwhitton wrote:
Bouncing Souls wrote:Maybe i'm reading this wrong, but do the 2 last paragraphs not contradict each other?
Customer experience and improvement manager???? Really?? Sounds an important job ?? Yet another made up job no doubt.its really not that hard is it.all delivered by postman up and down the country it's not rocket science,local knowledge and knowing what my customers want and need,it's not hard to do,and managers make a big thing over it and re invent the wheel? Come out with us and see it will be fun??
You might think they are your customer, but the recipient of the item is not Royal Mail's customer - that is the sender. You and your local knowledge has no idea what the customer would like done with items where the recipient is not in, unless it is stated on the item (tracked items only).
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

MRM.COM: Keep it safe Understanding when to use safe place

Post by robbertwhitton »

Oh I think after years on my rural round am well aware of what ,when and how they want there post delivered,believe me!!
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32809
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

MRM.COM: Keep it safe Understanding when to use safe place

Post by POSTMAN »

gary61 wrote:Myself and others covering my duty have been told to leave any parcels that do not require a signature on the doorsteps of multi occupied buildings.
I am told to obtain a fob which gives access to the main door of building and to go to door of recipient, put parcel at door, knock and then leave it, not waiting for
reply. Each building has an average of 100 residents who share the same entrance. There is an average of 10 apartments with 10 residents in each apartment in the building.
All the 10 apartments have a bell and a letterbox at the entrance but I am told not to ring but to enter and doorstep the items.My manager says the owner of the buildings has given permission to do this.
He says that it is compliant with Royal Mails policy. I say I am not doing it and he says he can suspend me for not following a reasonable instruction as it saves time and its what the customer wants.
Who is correct ?
Your manager is lying (surprise) and LOL to 'the owner of the building has okayed this'.

Ignore and 739 when needed, then wait to be suspended.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

MRM.COM: Keep it safe Understanding when to use safe place

Post by steve1873 »

robbertwhitton wrote:Oh I think after years on my rural round am well aware of what ,when and how they want there post delivered,believe me!!
I certainly believe 1 thing. You have a misguided idea of who your customer is. I will give you a clue, it isn't the recipient.
dblad
Posts: 448
Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 18:26
Gender: Male

MRM.COM: Keep it safe Understanding when to use safe place

Post by dblad »

steve1873 wrote:
robbertwhitton wrote:Oh I think after years on my rural round am well aware of what ,when and how they want there post delivered,believe me!!
I certainly believe 1 thing. You have a misguided idea of who your customer is. I will give you a clue, it isn't the recipient.
If they pay for postage then of course they are.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

MRM.COM: Keep it safe Understanding when to use safe place

Post by steve1873 »

dblad wrote:
steve1873 wrote:
robbertwhitton wrote:Oh I think after years on my rural round am well aware of what ,when and how they want there post delivered,believe me!!
I certainly believe 1 thing. You have a misguided idea of who your customer is. I will give you a clue, it isn't the recipient.
If they pay for postage then of course they are.
They don't pay ROYAL MAIL for postage! The sender does, 100% of the time, without fail. The recipient may well have paid postage to the sender, but they are a 3rd party as far as Royal Mail are concerned. Fact.
psyCrowe
Posts: 57
Joined: 23 Feb 2016, 12:28
Gender: Male

MRM.COM: Keep it safe Understanding when to use safe place

Post by psyCrowe »

robbertwhitton wrote:Oh I think after years on my rural round am well aware of what ,when and how they want there post delivered,believe me!!
Not saying you are wrong, but all it takes is one a**hole to call up and complain, and it's your neck on the chopping block. If delivery to neighbour is not practical, then have the customer speak to your manager about an official safe place, but then again, its purely down to the discretion of the postie on that particular day.

Cwu and RM have zero tolerance on doorstepping ( or so I'm lead to beleive by area reps ). If something goes missing, then you could be in a very sticky situation. Keep yourself right, don't ever be pressured into doorstepping, or delivery to neighbour. Delivery to neighbour may be cwu agreed, but compulsory overtime is not.
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

MRM.COM: Keep it safe Understanding when to use safe place

Post by meercat »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:Leaving any mail in a porch is not secure
I beg to disagree but I've been told that if you can leave a packet out of view and inside a porch that is deemed as safely delivered to the property.
IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:if you arrive to to find the porch door not looking visually closed, you can touch the porch handle and see if there is an inner letterbox
Seriously where do you get this from? We are allowed to touch the handle?!? Is that written down anywhere? I doubt it.

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:Otherwise, if it is letters, it gets endorsed as having nowhere secure to leave mail and returned to depot to attempt delivery the next working day.
Are you seriously saying if a porch has a letter box but the porch door is ajar you will not put the mail through the letter box (or throw it through the gap) but will return it to the office?! But if the door is shut you will happily post it through to sit in the porch? Sorry but I find that absolutely absurd. Surely the delivery point is the porch letter box and it's nothing to do with us if the porch door is locked, unlocked or ajar.
.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

MRM.COM: Keep it safe Understanding when to use safe place

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Security of Mail :hmmmm

If you know the porch is open (not locked) then its not a secure safe place. But what you do is up to you, they certainly can't sack "IloveMYredTROLLEY" if he doesn't leave it there.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

MRM.COM: Keep it safe Understanding when to use safe place

Post by motherhubbard »

steve1873 wrote:
dblad wrote:
steve1873 wrote:
robbertwhitton wrote:Oh I think after years on my rural round am well aware of what ,when and how they want there post delivered,believe me!!
I certainly believe 1 thing. You have a misguided idea of who your customer is. I will give you a clue, it isn't the recipient.
If they pay for postage then of course they are.
They don't pay ROYAL MAIL for postage! The sender does, 100% of the time, without fail. The recipient may well have paid postage to the sender, but they are a 3rd party as far as Royal Mail are concerned. Fact.
What if I bought something off ebay or etsy and sent the seller some of my xmas stamps to cover the costs of postage?
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

MRM.COM: Keep it safe Understanding when to use safe place

Post by steve1873 »

motherhubbard wrote:
steve1873 wrote:
dblad wrote:
steve1873 wrote:
robbertwhitton wrote:Oh I think after years on my rural round am well aware of what ,when and how they want there post delivered,believe me!!
I certainly believe 1 thing. You have a misguided idea of who your customer is. I will give you a clue, it isn't the recipient.
If they pay for postage then of course they are.
They don't pay ROYAL MAIL for postage! The sender does, 100% of the time, without fail. The recipient may well have paid postage to the sender, but they are a 3rd party as far as Royal Mail are concerned. Fact.
What if I bought something off ebay or etsy and sent the seller some of my xmas stamps to cover the costs of postage?
Doesn't matter. You would be the customer (to RM) for the envelope containing the stamps to the seller. He would be the customer for the item being sent to you, paid for by your stamps.

Put it this way, in your scenario assume the item never arrives. Who you gona contact, the seller or Royal Mail? You would contact the seller, who would hopefully refund you. The seller would then contact Royal Mail with regard compensation for losing their parcel.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

MRM.COM: Keep it safe Understanding when to use safe place

Post by Postie45 »

We have seen an increased number of complaints relating to doorstepping. This is when postmen and women leave parcels on the property, without either putting them through a letterbox or handing them to the occupier. It includes parcels being left in sheds, kennels and even bins.
This is all down to pressure from managers to get tracked delivered and RMs refusal to implement time for their "deliver to neighbour" strategy, which they have said doesnt take any extra time. Mix that in with the usual runners and corner cutters who are the biggest culprits of this (ironically the kind of posties who are the managers favourites for getting usually failing walks completed)
it has also become obvious with the increasing amount of packages particular customers are now getting that neighbours no longer want to take them in. It was fine when they used to get 1 package every couple of weeks, but theres some customers who get packets most days and arent in, I am now being told by neighbours that they dont want to take their packages anymore as its become too much of a burden. I dont blame them at all !
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

MRM.COM: Keep it safe Understanding when to use safe place

Post by woopesh »

I just 739 everything and take it back. Its much easier. I don't want to stand there umming and ahhing about the right thing to do, or debate myself about how safe a place is. Slower but easier and never wrong.
indurain
Posts: 26
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 00:21
Gender: Male

MRM.COM: Keep it safe Understanding when to use safe place

Post by indurain »

Postie45 wrote:
We have seen an increased number of complaints relating to doorstepping. This is when postmen and women leave parcels on the property, without either putting them through a letterbox or handing them to the occupier. It includes parcels being left in sheds, kennels and even bins.
This is all down to pressure from managers to get tracked delivered and RMs refusal to implement time for their "deliver to neighbour" strategy, which they have said doesnt take any extra time. Mix that in with the usual runners and corner cutters who are the biggest culprits of this (ironically the kind of posties who are the managers favourites for getting usually failing walks completed)
it has also become obvious with the increasing amount of packages particular customers are now getting that neighbours no longer want to take them in. It was fine when they used to get 1 package every couple of weeks, but theres some customers who get packets most days and arent in, I am now being told by neighbours that they dont want to take their packages anymore as its become too much of a burden. I dont blame them at all !
^^^^
This

Almost every neighbour i've tried to deliver to recently who isn't a close friend of the recipient has ummed and ahhed about parcels, eventually when I say 'it's fine, i'll have to take it back to to the office' they reluctantly take it. I wish I'd known when I started it's much easier to try to find a place in the recipient's garden than deliver to a neighbour. BBQ'S and greenhouses are the way for me. I've never had a complaint from doing it, I always make sure parcel can't get wet and is out of sight. I leave a note without fail, even if delivering to a neighbour and neighbour says not to bother, I know if I didn't they'd forget and I end up taking a bollocking from the manager because the customer complained.
indurain
Posts: 26
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 00:21
Gender: Male

MRM.COM: Keep it safe Understanding when to use safe place

Post by indurain »

our old timer postie usually just opens the front door if we have parcels, doesn't bother using a p739 if she leaves parcels next door, just scribbles on a letter, and about half the time our letters come hidden in the middle of the door to doors...