ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Ghost Overtime
-
taxi4leighton
- Posts: 343
- Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:05
Ghost Overtime
overtime is the same as a zero hour contract
its on adhoc arangement.have no pension rights,not paid on annual leave,or off sick.
thats why we are short-staffed
its cheaper to employ more part timers
and make up short fall by providing overtime
thats why some of it is ghost.it suits both side.
its always been like this,and always will
its on adhoc arangement.have no pension rights,not paid on annual leave,or off sick.
thats why we are short-staffed
its cheaper to employ more part timers
and make up short fall by providing overtime
thats why some of it is ghost.it suits both side.
its always been like this,and always will
-
bensonhedge
- Posts: 448
- Joined: 15 Mar 2010, 20:14
- Gender: Male
Ghost Overtime
Exactly! And long may it continuetaxi4leighton wrote:overtime is the same as a zero hour contract
its on adhoc arangement.have no pension rights,not paid on annual leave,or off sick.
thats why we are short-staffed
its cheaper to employ more part timers
and make up short fall by providing overtime
thats why some of it is ghost.it suits both side.
its always been like this,and always will
-
simply_the_best
- Posts: 594
- Joined: 24 Sep 2007, 10:29
Ghost Overtime
super-postie wrote: take d2ds home to collate,
Folk still do this
Could be sacked for doing it FFS.
-
weary_posty
- Posts: 225
- Joined: 01 Jul 2011, 15:08
- Gender: Male
Ghost Overtime
Pretty sad if you ask me.simply_the_best wrote:super-postie wrote: take d2ds home to collate,
Folk still do this![]()
Could be sacked for doing it FFS.
I have no issue with ghosting overtime. The only issue i have is FT staff being offered the overtime ahead of a PT.
-
lovehunter
- Posts: 60
- Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 18:39
- Gender: Male
Ghost Overtime
If ur getting finished before ur time each day, are there other guys who struggle to complete on time??? If so u shud be getting abut of their duty put on ucitypostie wrote:Well it is isn't it, otherwise he would just go home early and let the lino go out and pound the streets! Win win situation for Benson who earns extra and lino who stays inside and warmgreengiant wrote:It's not overtime if it is done within your duty time though?bensonhedge wrote:Hold on a minute,how do I get given money for nothing when I'm doing extra loops on overtime??? Just because I can complete in my time is not my fault is it? Guess you like to drag it out all day? That makes me sickNewPostieUK wrote:This is outrageous and makes me sick. Your manager should be sacked.bensonhedge wrote:I do ghost most days,wouldn't do extra loops for them if it meant going over my time.
Most people struggle to finish on time, go over just to complete and struggle to get paid for that extra time taken, yet you get given money for nothing.
-
citypostie
- Posts: 895
- Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Ghost Overtime
I'd agree, after we've swopped duty's for a few weeks to see how I get on doing theirs and them on mine. I wouldn't help some of the "do the job" properly lot in my office because I know for a fact doing the job properly doesn't mean sitting in the van for an hour plus or claiming using a trolley adds 2 hours onto a delivery. Never mind ghost overtime being fraud, dragging it out so you can claim is alot worse. Hopefully the new tracking on the new PDAs will put an end to itlovehunter wrote:If ur getting finished before ur time each day, are there other guys who struggle to complete on time??? If so u shud be getting abut of their duty put on ucitypostie wrote:Well it is isn't it, otherwise he would just go home early and let the lino go out and pound the streets! Win win situation for Benson who earns extra and lino who stays inside and warmgreengiant wrote:It's not overtime if it is done within your duty time though?bensonhedge wrote:Hold on a minute,how do I get given money for nothing when I'm doing extra loops on overtime??? Just because I can complete in my time is not my fault is it? Guess you like to drag it out all day? That makes me sickNewPostieUK wrote:This is outrageous and makes me sick. Your manager should be sacked.bensonhedge wrote:I do ghost most days,wouldn't do extra loops for them if it meant going over my time.
Most people struggle to finish on time, go over just to complete and struggle to get paid for that extra time taken, yet you get given money for nothing.
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Ghost Overtime
As long as postie has permission to claim ghost ot it is not fraud on the posties part,citypostie wrote:I'd agree, after we've swopped duty's for a few weeks to see how I get on doing theirs and them on mine. I wouldn't help some of the "do the job" properly lot in my office because I know for a fact doing the job properly doesn't mean sitting in the van for an hour plus or claiming using a trolley adds 2 hours onto a delivery. Never mind ghost overtime being fraud, dragging it out so you can claim is alot worse. Hopefully the new tracking on the new PDAs will put an end to itlovehunter wrote:If ur getting finished before ur time each day, are there other guys who struggle to complete on time??? If so u shud be getting abut of their duty put on ucitypostie wrote:Well it is isn't it, otherwise he would just go home early and let the lino go out and pound the streets! Win win situation for Benson who earns extra and lino who stays inside and warmgreengiant wrote:It's not overtime if it is done within your duty time though?bensonhedge wrote:Hold on a minute,how do I get given money for nothing when I'm doing extra loops on overtime??? Just because I can complete in my time is not my fault is it? Guess you like to drag it out all day? That makes me sickNewPostieUK wrote:This is outrageous and makes me sick. Your manager should be sacked.bensonhedge wrote:I do ghost most days,wouldn't do extra loops for them if it meant going over my time.
Most people struggle to finish on time, go over just to complete and struggle to get paid for that extra time taken, yet you get given money for nothing.
-
super-postie
- Posts: 94
- Joined: 30 Jul 2015, 06:48
- Gender: Male
Ghost Overtime
If offices were staffed properly with contracts matching actual duties and not the usual "sh*t mess, managers constantly trying to save a fast buck then this mess would be minimised and staff would be able to go about their business without the animosity that is rife in most DOs.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Ghost Overtime
actually the point is, it ISNT really your choice, you are on a collectively bargained contract which doesnt allow for this. Yes you are getting away with it, but thats because of failings in your offices management. That isnt a choice at all in my office and probably the other possters who have objected to this on this thread. If we demonstrated that we could make a few hours a day at my office we`d just be given more work to do. FWIW I do have some sympathy for getting on with it and doing the OT but those days are gone for most offices, its probably just a matter of time before they crackdown at your place and when they do they may notice all the time youve been making and add work accordingly.bensonhedge wrote:People would think I was the office planner judging by some replies on here! If I wanna wizz round and earn an extra 2 hrs docket surely that's MY choice!
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Ghost Overtime
so this collectively bargained contract that doesn't allow for ghost overtime, how do you feel about the whole of london getting ghost overtime over Christmas?Postie45 wrote:actually the point is, it ISNT really your choice, you are on a collectively bargained contract which doesnt allow for this. Yes you are getting away with it, but thats because of failings in your offices management. That isnt a choice at all in my office and probably the other possters who have objected to this on this thread. If we demonstrated that we could make a few hours a day at my office we`d just be given more work to do. FWIW I do have some sympathy for getting on with it and doing the OT but those days are gone for most offices, its probably just a matter of time before they crackdown at your place and when they do they may notice all the time youve been making and add work accordingly.bensonhedge wrote:People would think I was the office planner judging by some replies on here! If I wanna wizz round and earn an extra 2 hrs docket surely that's MY choice!
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Ghost Overtime
The trouble (from my point of view) with ghost overtime is you effectively have people on different overtime rates.
I don't think that is fair and I don't understand why a trade union would agree that some people are worth more than others.
I don't pay £3/week for the person working next to me to be paid a higher hourly rate.
Our collective agreement talks about utilizing all paid hours. And that is where it stops.
I don't think that is fair and I don't understand why a trade union would agree that some people are worth more than others.
I don't pay £3/week for the person working next to me to be paid a higher hourly rate.
Our collective agreement talks about utilizing all paid hours. And that is where it stops.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
citypostie
- Posts: 895
- Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Ghost Overtime
It's the nature of the job, some people will get round quicker no matter what delivery they are on. The only solution would be to make them wait until their finish time to start their ot, no one would do any creating a problem for managers. If they tried to send people back out with extra if they get done early, you can guarantee that nobody would ever come back early they would just sit in the van before coming back. More hassle than its worth for most managers I reckon
-
bensonhedge
- Posts: 448
- Joined: 15 Mar 2010, 20:14
- Gender: Male
Ghost Overtime
That's what I'm saying,I did a loop on my way home today but there's no way I'm gonna sit in the office for an hr and half before I'm allowed to go do it and my Dom knows this!citypostie wrote:It's the nature of the job, some people will get round quicker no matter what delivery they are on. The only solution would be to make them wait until their finish time to start their ot, no one would do any creating a problem for managers. If they tried to send people back out with extra if they get done early, you can guarantee that nobody would ever come back early they would just sit in the van before coming back. More hassle than its worth for most managers I reckon
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Ghost Overtime
it's a necessary evil as you infer. If someone takes docket out and finishes their round early and gets an hour for the docket but does 1/2 of it in their 'round time' then yes it's ghosting. So the DIM has a responsibility to deliver ALL the DO mail. He then b*llocks someone for ghosting part of their docket. Result? The OPG will say "b*ll*cks' next time he/she is asked and the office may fail. Docket also incentivizes some posties to go faster and complete their round earlier. The best way is to see it similar to 'piecework' - those who put the effort in to work harder or faster make more bucks than those who do the 'flat' amount of work.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:He may also struggle to finish on time but won't do overtime unless he gets a bit extra. It's capitalism for the working man.NewPostieUK wrote:This is outrageous and makes me sick. Your manager should be sacked.bensonhedge wrote:I do ghost most days,wouldn't do extra loops for them if it meant going over my time.
Most people struggle to finish on time, go over just to complete and struggle to get paid for that extra time taken, yet you get given money for nothing.
I don't support it, but I can't condemn it either,
I don't begrudge any 'docket whores' (as they are called in my DO!) their extra money. The only grumble I have is when the same people/favourites on the p*ss-easy rounds who habitually finish early every day always get 1-1.5 hrs. OT in and still finish the same time as some of the heavy rounds do who have merely got 20 mins for extending. I could accept it better if all rounds really were 'the same'.....
-
madmax1
- Posts: 72
- Joined: 01 Sep 2015, 14:39
- Gender: Male