ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Calling it a day

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TheCobra
Posts: 249
Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 09:58
Gender: Male

Re: Calling it a day

Post by TheCobra »

rambo1 wrote: Sounds harsh, but look after number one. Use your trolley, don't rush around for anyone come back on time and anything you can't get done is for managers to sort out, it's what they get paid for. How many on here complaining they are worn out are doing tons of overtime? it's hard enough doing your hrs and not rushing around.
Spot on! Royal Mail is just a company, all you are seen as by management is a number. You have to look after YOURSELF in that culture. Me and my partner used our trollies every day, on busy days we went over and signed for it and got paid for it.

Simple as that, you have to stand up for yourself, give it back to the managers, get the union involved if you think you're being bullied or pressured.

If your union rep is crap you could always go above their head, the management love the people that just accept the bullying and get on with it, that's their ideal worker - but as I said above, they're not the ones who'll be walking with a permanent limp when they're 50 and have a bunch of aches and pains every morning.
viking1488
Posts: 446
Joined: 15 May 2009, 15:37
Gender: Male

Re: Calling it a day

Post by viking1488 »

simply_the_best wrote:What painkillers?


I'm regularly using 30/500mg Co-Codomol for my foot, over 18 month now.
me to 30/500mg Co-Codomol regularly just to get me through a shift for my feet this job does f**k you up
TheCobra
Posts: 249
Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 09:58
Gender: Male

Re: Calling it a day

Post by TheCobra »

viking1488 wrote:
simply_the_best wrote:What painkillers?


I'm regularly using 30/500mg Co-Codomol for my foot, over 18 month now.
me to 30/500mg Co-Codomol regularly just to get me through a shift for my feet this job does f**k you up
That's a strong level of codeine to be having daily, have you tried just taking Ibuprofen for the inflammation? i found that worked better than just strong painkillers which are just masking it. Taking any drug daily though is gona have long-term implications, I started getting a bad stomach from daily Ibuprofen and had to take a daily Zantac for the stomach pain.

Codeine is a strong pain reliever related to Morphine (pure heroin) and ruins you long-term, "With chronic codeine use, the brain slows or even stops endorphin production, resulting in acute pain without codeine use. Itching, nausea, vomiting, high blood pressure, constipation, liver damage and stomach ulcers may also occur."

Even the weak co-codamol make me drowsy as f**k so I don't know how you get round your walks on the strong ones, I'd be in someones doorway kipping.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Calling it a day

Post by NewPostieUK »

Two sore feet, two bad knees, painful hip and back constantly sore. At 52 I don't think I'll get another job. I reckon the heavy bag on my shoulder caused the hip problem, and the trolley was a godsend at first. I have an inkling that pulling the trolley isn't doing me any good now though, so I'm experimenting with really light bags, just using the trolley on the flat and keeping the loops small. I keep a steady pace without rushing, and at the moment my partner seems happy with the overtime.

I get by with Ibuprofen, but I'd love to cut my delivery from 5 hours back to 3.5, but I'm already on a 30 hr contract, can't really get by on less.

It's a constant worry...
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Calling it a day

Post by peshwaarinaan »

I'm 48 and have been having problems with my feet for weeks now. Doc thought I had torn fibres in my Achilles and prescribed Naproxin and Co-codemol and set me for an x-Ray. Went for results yesterday and was told I have early-onset arthritis in my ankle. They only x-rayed one ankle but the pain is in the other one too. My GP advised me to look for another job. I love my job and really don't want to leave so I don't know what to do :sad: .
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Calling it a day

Post by bustedflush »

TheCobra wrote:
viking1488 wrote:
simply_the_best wrote:What painkillers?


I'm regularly using 30/500mg Co-Codomol for my foot, over 18 month now.
me to 30/500mg Co-Codomol regularly just to get me through a shift for my feet this job does f**k you up
That's a strong level of codeine to be having daily, have you tried just taking Ibuprofen for the inflammation? i found that worked better than just strong painkillers which are just masking it. Taking any drug daily though is gona have long-term implications, I started getting a bad stomach from daily Ibuprofen and had to take a daily Zantac for the stomach pain.

Codeine is a strong pain reliever related to Morphine (pure heroin) and ruins you long-term, "With chronic codeine use, the brain slows or even stops endorphin production, resulting in acute pain without codeine use. Itching, nausea, vomiting, high blood pressure, constipation, liver damage and stomach ulcers may also occur."

Even the weak co-codamol make me drowsy as f**k so I don't know how you get round your walks on the strong ones, I'd be in someones doorway kipping.
I'm on the same, 30mg/500 Codeine. Only take 2 a day, just as I start walking and not when I'm off. Been on them 18 months, none of the side effects mentioned above apart from the odd dry large log which leaves me walking like George Michael for a few hours. Codeine itself is quite 'clean' - it's the paracetamol/Ibuprofen that does the harm medium term. Ibuprofen is bad for long-term use. Paracetamol is better, but the liver doesn't like too much of it.

The bottom line is, how many jobs leave their staff requiring long-term daily pain relief? It's crazy when you think about it.,