It would encourage too many claims for "missing" parcels.......PHARRY wrote:I wish Royalmail allowed doorsteppingUnhappyGremlin wrote:It is the long term aim of the company, to offer this as a service.
It is to keep up with our competitors, most of which already offer this service.
(Albeit, with the shitter other side of delivery, i.e. doorstepping, or as I see it, abandoning parcels in the locale of somebody's house. Which I hope RM never adopt).
As per usual, RM are very late to the party.
Though I expect we posties, and/or CWU, will be blamed.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Scanning every parcel
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Scanning every parcel
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Scanning every parcel
You can finish on time everyday. Follow procedure.worktotime wrote:great more stuff to take back then ,, even less chance to finish on time. well done to the cwu to agree to this.
I don't understand some people.
If RM, via your manager, give you an instruction, which is what this amounts to, follow it.
If there are delays, or you can take less, that's RM's or your managers problem. Let them worry about it.
The CWU didn't do anything wrong here.
This is where all home deliveries are heading, proof of delivery, to stop claims.
In fact, there is an argument to say this protects jobs as it takes us more time to complete our work.
Plus, it also protects us against being dismissed when customers claim they haven't received their goods.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Scanning every parcel
Finger scanning devices are, I believe, to be solely used in MC's.Chewster wrote:Well we've already got the Amazon delivery scanned (not tracked) which is a fair chunk of the packets, this is only the next logical step. I remember seeing it ages ago on work time learning, there's supposed to be some sort of finger scanning thing coming out? I'm afraid most of us were too busy asking the dom if he was gonna give us the finger and giggling like school girls to pay attention to the video
They are equivalent to a sort of Bluetooth headset for your phone, and are worn on 2 fingers (selected by the staff member....
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12202
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Scanning every parcel
In MCs the finger scanners are used in conjunction with a new PDA, whilst for deliveries it'll be just with the PDAUnhappyGremlin wrote:Finger scanning devices are, I believe, to be solely used in MC's.Chewster wrote:Well we've already got the Amazon delivery scanned (not tracked) which is a fair chunk of the packets, this is only the next logical step. I remember seeing it ages ago on work time learning, there's supposed to be some sort of finger scanning thing coming out? I'm afraid most of us were too busy asking the dom if he was gonna give us the finger and giggling like school girls to pay attention to the video
They are equivalent to a sort of Bluetooth headset for your phone, and are worn on 2 fingers (selected by the staff member....).
-
swindonandy
- Posts: 126
- Joined: 26 Feb 2010, 16:26
- Gender: Male
Scanning every parcel
The square ones contain an awful lot of data that one of the PDS updates conveniently ignores. There was a software update a year or so ago now when PDAs went from reading the full data range (including posting customer address, service used, tracking number, recipient address if printed using a suitable bit of software) in a big blob of text that the PDA rejected as being too long to being able to strip out all the rest of the junk and just pick out the tracking number. Next time you get a tracked that wont scan zap the square code instead.wannabeek wrote:I've been scanning every packet since the tech went live in December. Those weird square ones are in fact usually easier to zap than the usual straight line barcode and the same digits pop up on the gun when you do zap it.
Apparently different delivery info pops up when you zap those square barcodes with the office gun but I've not seen that.
Don't fancy writing out the code on an EPOD card tho for the 'square barcode only' ones when the print is blurred tho - some of them must be about 20 digits long, mostly all zeros and ones!
You might be able to see what the "office gun" sees if you log in with "DO Indoor" or whatever mode it is from the drop-down box on the log in screen.
-
BingBong
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 755
- Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
- Gender: Female
- Location: the north
Scanning every parcel
Actually yes. Heard my out manager talking about to another last week. They seemed excited! Saddo!Jpro747 wrote:Heard a rumour that we will be reqired to scan every parcel in two weeks time, anyone else heard about this?
Toon Army!
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Scanning every parcel
We started today - not as part of any trial or anything that I'm aware of. Everyone got a leaflet to read (or ignore) in WTLL, and told to get on with it. It's wasn't quite every parcel but, as far as I could see today, certainly lot's of large letters and and small parcels that have gone over the counters.
Amazon 3d bar codes are no good (at the moment), they just contain the post code, the others do scan but have a variety of od numbers attached to them from some just 5 or 6 numbers others much longer with dashes and all sorts.
Only real bugger was when the PDA inevitably buggered up. not too bad with a tracked as you can jot down the number, crack on and put it in later, but with these ones you don't really have a choice but to wait for the pda to sort itself out because the numbers are random and messy.
Amazon 3d bar codes are no good (at the moment), they just contain the post code, the others do scan but have a variety of od numbers attached to them from some just 5 or 6 numbers others much longer with dashes and all sorts.
Only real bugger was when the PDA inevitably buggered up. not too bad with a tracked as you can jot down the number, crack on and put it in later, but with these ones you don't really have a choice but to wait for the pda to sort itself out because the numbers are random and messy.
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Scanning every parcel
I do finish on time everyday and take 2 loops back to the office , so what I was saying was with all this extra work we will be taking more back simple (manageable workload) , so will dutys get adjusted to compensate the amount of time to do this on top of everything else Bob Gibson has signed off. Hmmm I'm guessing the answer to that is NO.UnhappyGremlin wrote:You can finish on time everyday. Follow procedure.worktotime wrote:great more stuff to take back then ,, even less chance to finish on time. well done to the cwu to agree to this.
I don't understand some people.
If RM, via your manager, give you an instruction, which is what this amounts to, follow it.
If there are delays, or you can take less, that's RM's or your managers problem. Let them worry about it.
The CWU didn't do anything wrong here.
This is where all home deliveries are heading, proof of delivery, to stop claims.
In fact, there is an argument to say this protects jobs as it takes us more time to complete our work.
Plus, it also protects us against being dismissed when customers claim they haven't received their goods.
-
centenaryman
- Posts: 512
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
- Gender: Male
Scanning every parcel
weve been scanning everything since before Christmas
we were told it was a trial
the square codes on printed labels,,,,sometimes the scanner reads them,,,other times it doesn't....in that case I don't worry,,,,if I aint got the correct working equipment I cant scan it
I do try but when I have the bundle in my hand,,,scanner,,,parcel and possibly d2d as well if I can I will scan if im juggling the lot I don't LOL
we were told it was a trial
the square codes on printed labels,,,,sometimes the scanner reads them,,,other times it doesn't....in that case I don't worry,,,,if I aint got the correct working equipment I cant scan it
I do try but when I have the bundle in my hand,,,scanner,,,parcel and possibly d2d as well if I can I will scan if im juggling the lot I don't LOL
-
ScousePostie
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
- Gender: Male
Scanning every parcel
We've been scanning '2D barcodes' (square barcodes) at our office since well before Christmas. I seem to remember management saying our office was one of the offices that the new scanning was being trialled at.
Also, I saw someone mentioned Amazon delivered scanned. The majority of these that I have come across will fit through letterboxes.
Also, I saw someone mentioned Amazon delivered scanned. The majority of these that I have come across will fit through letterboxes.
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Scanning every parcel
I don't think anyone has said you will have to.wannabeek wrote:
Don't fancy writing out the code on an EPOD card tho for the 'square barcode only' ones when the print is blurred tho - some of them must be about 20 digits long, mostly all zeros and ones!
I can't see how it would help anyone anyway.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Scanning every parcel
Its great that we have been given more work which will make the deliveries take longer to do, so of course I expect RM to be doing another revision to make sure the duties are made smaller to absorb the extra workload ? :crazy:
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Scanning every parcel
3D bar codes? Won't that make the packet rather bulky?crazyshrew wrote:We started today - not as part of any trial or anything that I'm aware of. Everyone got a leaflet to read (or ignore) in WTLL, and told to get on with it. It's wasn't quite every parcel but, as far as I could see today, certainly lot's of large letters and and small parcels that have gone over the counters.
Amazon 3d bar codes are no good (at the moment), they just contain the post code, the others do scan but have a variety of od numbers attached to them from some just 5 or 6 numbers others much longer with dashes and all sorts.
Only real bugger was when the PDA inevitably buggered up. not too bad with a tracked as you can jot down the number, crack on and put it in later, but with these ones you don't really have a choice but to wait for the pda to sort itself out because the numbers are random and messy.
But yes, I agree with you, at least with the normal tracked bar code you can make a note of the tracked number when the pda freezes, and put it into the pda later on.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Scanning every parcel
I don't think we'll have to, I've been told we don't even have to write out the codes for the standard delivery scanned either so I don't see why they'd expect us to write out big long numbers that won't be much use to anyone.motherhubbard wrote:I don't think anyone has said you will have to.wannabeek wrote:
Don't fancy writing out the code on an EPOD card tho for the 'square barcode only' ones when the print is blurred tho - some of them must be about 20 digits long, mostly all zeros and ones!
I can't see how it would help anyone anyway.
On occasion I've tried to scan the square barcodes with our PDAs and not once have they actually scanned. Will the PDAs be getting a software update to accommodate these barcodes?
One of my managers has an app on his phone that allows you to scan the square barcodes. Come in handy on a few occasions when the address line on the label has been nipped off a bit.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Scanning every parcel
Maybe there has been a software update as I can confirm they are scanning for me...Chewster wrote:
On occasion I've tried to scan the square barcodes with our PDAs and not once have they actually scanned. Will the PDAs be getting a software update to accommodate these barcodes?