Chewster wrote:Never had a problem with claiming overtime at my job. I'm on a 24 hour contract and am regularly claiming 3+ hours overtime, 5+ sometimes if I'm on a vanshare duty with certain slower folk lol.
As for taking shortcuts, go for it, just don't do anything stupid and be prepared to answer for it if you get caught. I personally would never ever doorstep though. I personally don't bother going to neighbours unless I know that they are likely to be in and are happy to take something for them (a lot of people won't give their neighbour the time of day..) P739s I only fill out "properly" if taking item back to the office, no point filling everything in if you're just sticking it in the shed. D2Ds you're better off just doing properly. I got myself in a lot of grief one week for returning over 200 of each D2D we had for that week And I don't think there's anything wrong with signing for stuff if you know someone is happy for you to do that. I never sign for letters for people, but there are plenty of customers who have explicitly asked that I just sign parcels for them and put it in their safeplace. No point making extra work for yourself when you know that you'd in fact be doing a BETTER service to certain customers by not doing everything the exact prescribed way. Imagine if you actually used your dog peg at every door. You'd be there for ages!
I've always said - work is about investing minimum effort for maximum reward
There is so much wrong in this post it's unbelievable, you really need to figure out who the customer is. The customer is the sender and they have selected a certain product depending on how they want us to handle their letter/parcel yes the recipient may feel you are doing them a favour by following their instructions but the customer may not actually want your signature for a parcel and it left not delivered correctly the customer may actually prefer you did your job properly and take it back to the do and wait for the recipient to collect and sign for it, you have no way to know and should follow the deliver spec for each product correctly
as for saying to make the job as easy as possible, you have just pointed out on another thread about getting your hours cut, taking short cuts leads to getting more hours cut from offices so you are only cutting your own throat by not doing your job correctly
I would learn quickly how to do the job properly and how to treat mail correctly otherwise you may find yourself out of a job going by some of the things you seem to be getting up to
9 times out of 10 a parcel is a product that has been bought online by the addressee, and the postage has been paid by the addressee. By definition, the addressee is the customer in this case, having paid for the service that I am providing.
And yes I'm moaning about getting my hours cut. Getting my hours cut has nothing to do with my taking shortcuts. Even when I do take shortcuts, my duty (before they cut the indoor work) was still taking me more or less the amount of time it was due to take (about 7 hours 30 minutes including break I think it was), depending on how busy it was obviously.
again this is so wrong, it doesn't matter if the person who bought it online the customer is always the sender, the person who bought it online may have provided the funds to cover the postage but its the sender who os our customer who actually paid us for the poatage, they paid royal mail to post the item regardless of who bought it online 10 out of 10 times the sender is the customer not the recipient, royal mail are in a legal contract to deliver with the sender, the recipient is not, if the item doesn't get to the recipient they claim off of the sender and then the sender would claim off of us
you do realise we are not like other delivery companies, we are held to different standards because of the USO where as they may have company rules we actually have laws that govern how we do things that's why we have to do things correctly where as yodel etc can doorstep and get away with it, we cant
Chewster wrote:Never had a problem with claiming overtime at my job. I'm on a 24 hour contract and am regularly claiming 3+ hours overtime, 5+ sometimes if I'm on a vanshare duty with certain slower folk lol.
As for taking shortcuts, go for it, just don't do anything stupid and be prepared to answer for it if you get caught. I personally would never ever doorstep though. I personally don't bother going to neighbours unless I know that they are likely to be in and are happy to take something for them (a lot of people won't give their neighbour the time of day..) P739s I only fill out "properly" if taking item back to the office, no point filling everything in if you're just sticking it in the shed. D2Ds you're better off just doing properly. I got myself in a lot of grief one week for returning over 200 of each D2D we had for that week And I don't think there's anything wrong with signing for stuff if you know someone is happy for you to do that. I never sign for letters for people, but there are plenty of customers who have explicitly asked that I just sign parcels for them and put it in their safeplace. No point making extra work for yourself when you know that you'd in fact be doing a BETTER service to certain customers by not doing everything the exact prescribed way. Imagine if you actually used your dog peg at every door. You'd be there for ages!
I've always said - work is about investing minimum effort for maximum reward
There is so much wrong in this post it's unbelievable, you really need to figure out who the customer is. The customer is the sender and they have selected a certain product depending on how they want us to handle their letter/parcel yes the recipient may feel you are doing them a favour by following their instructions but the customer may not actually want your signature for a parcel and it left not delivered correctly the customer may actually prefer you did your job properly and take it back to the do and wait for the recipient to collect and sign for it, you have no way to know and should follow the deliver spec for each product correctly
as for saying to make the job as easy as possible, you have just pointed out on another thread about getting your hours cut, taking short cuts leads to getting more hours cut from offices so you are only cutting your own throat by not doing your job correctly
I would learn quickly how to do the job properly and how to treat mail correctly otherwise you may find yourself out of a job going by some of the things you seem to be getting up to
9 times out of 10 a parcel is a product that has been bought online by the addressee, and the postage has been paid by the addressee. By definition, the addressee is the customer in this case, having paid for the service that I am providing.
And yes I'm moaning about getting my hours cut. Getting my hours cut has nothing to do with my taking shortcuts. Even when I do take shortcuts, my duty (before they cut the indoor work) was still taking me more or less the amount of time it was due to take (about 7 hours 30 minutes including break I think it was), depending on how busy it was obviously.
again this is so wrong, it doesn't matter if the person who bought it online the customer is always the sender, the person who bought it online may have provided the funds to cover the postage but its the sender who os our customer who actually paid us for the poatage, they paid royal mail to post the item regardless of who bought it online 10 out of 10 times the sender is the customer not the recipient, royal mail are in a legal contract to deliver with the sender, the recipient is not, if the item doesn't get to the recipient they claim off of the sender and then the sender would claim off of us
you do realise we are not like other delivery companies, we are held to different standards because of the USO where as they may have company rules we actually have laws that govern how we do things that's why we have to do things correctly where as yodel etc can doorstep and get away with it, we cant
In flats if you have a item requiring signature you can ring the bell, if they don't come down you can officially leave a p739 without going up to tbem
Thank you, I will start doing this now. Another time saver, and an official one at that!
Chewster wrote:Never had a problem with claiming overtime at my job. I'm on a 24 hour contract and am regularly claiming 3+ hours overtime, 5+ sometimes if I'm on a vanshare duty with certain slower folk lol.
As for taking shortcuts, go for it, just don't do anything stupid and be prepared to answer for it if you get caught. I personally would never ever doorstep though. I personally don't bother going to neighbours unless I know that they are likely to be in and are happy to take something for them (a lot of people won't give their neighbour the time of day..) P739s I only fill out "properly" if taking item back to the office, no point filling everything in if you're just sticking it in the shed. D2Ds you're better off just doing properly. I got myself in a lot of grief one week for returning over 200 of each D2D we had for that week And I don't think there's anything wrong with signing for stuff if you know someone is happy for you to do that. I never sign for letters for people, but there are plenty of customers who have explicitly asked that I just sign parcels for them and put it in their safeplace. No point making extra work for yourself when you know that you'd in fact be doing a BETTER service to certain customers by not doing everything the exact prescribed way. Imagine if you actually used your dog peg at every door. You'd be there for ages!
I've always said - work is about investing minimum effort for maximum reward
The recipient is NOT the customer!
The customer is the company or person who has SENT the item and in doing so paid for a service that requires a signature as proof of delivery! Your signature does not count as acceptable, except in exceptional circumstances that someone, be they blind or suffering from another disability is unable to sign, in which case you write *UNABLE TO OBTAIN SIG* on PDA and then sign it yourself. This should only be done in exceptional circumstances.
Again though, the person receiving the item is not Royal Mail's customer. They are a 3rd party as they have no contract with Royal Mail.
NewPostieUK wrote:What the heck is a close? I do a close that is 59 houses, does that take 3 mins?
I am guessing its Scotish for small sets of flats with indoor and individual delivery points
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts. Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility. If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Chewster wrote:Never had a problem with claiming overtime at my job. I'm on a 24 hour contract and am regularly claiming 3+ hours overtime, 5+ sometimes if I'm on a vanshare duty with certain slower folk lol.
As for taking shortcuts, go for it, just don't do anything stupid and be prepared to answer for it if you get caught. I personally would never ever doorstep though. I personally don't bother going to neighbours unless I know that they are likely to be in and are happy to take something for them (a lot of people won't give their neighbour the time of day..) P739s I only fill out "properly" if taking item back to the office, no point filling everything in if you're just sticking it in the shed. D2Ds you're better off just doing properly. I got myself in a lot of grief one week for returning over 200 of each D2D we had for that week And I don't think there's anything wrong with signing for stuff if you know someone is happy for you to do that. I never sign for letters for people, but there are plenty of customers who have explicitly asked that I just sign parcels for them and put it in their safeplace. No point making extra work for yourself when you know that you'd in fact be doing a BETTER service to certain customers by not doing everything the exact prescribed way. Imagine if you actually used your dog peg at every door. You'd be there for ages!
I've always said - work is about investing minimum effort for maximum reward
There is so much wrong in this post it's unbelievable, you really need to figure out who the customer is. The customer is the sender and they have selected a certain product depending on how they want us to handle their letter/parcel yes the recipient may feel you are doing them a favour by following their instructions but the customer may not actually want your signature for a parcel and it left not delivered correctly the customer may actually prefer you did your job properly and take it back to the do and wait for the recipient to collect and sign for it, you have no way to know and should follow the deliver spec for each product correctly
as for saying to make the job as easy as possible, you have just pointed out on another thread about getting your hours cut, taking short cuts leads to getting more hours cut from offices so you are only cutting your own throat by not doing your job correctly
I would learn quickly how to do the job properly and how to treat mail correctly otherwise you may find yourself out of a job going by some of the things you seem to be getting up to
9 times out of 10 a parcel is a product that has been bought online by the addressee, and the postage has been paid by the addressee. By definition, the addressee is the customer in this case, having paid for the service that I am providing.
And yes I'm moaning about getting my hours cut. Getting my hours cut has nothing to do with my taking shortcuts. Even when I do take shortcuts, my duty (before they cut the indoor work) was still taking me more or less the amount of time it was due to take (about 7 hours 30 minutes including break I think it was), depending on how busy it was obviously.
WRONG! The postage has always been paid by the sender. That is how it works. What the recipient has done is paid for postage INDIRECTLY by having that cost passed on to them. Regardless, they are not the customer!
I decided against taking shortcuts. I think I will be better off getting a full time position somewhere else rather than trying to make this one fit my needs. What Salomon2 said about getting decent references is then more important. Best not rock any boats in the mean time. Shame... because I really do like the job, just not everything else that comes with it. I've never worked in this sort of company before, where everyone is at each others throats.
In flats if you have a item requiring signature you can ring the bell, if they don't come down you can officially leave a p739 without going up to tbem
Thank you, I will start doing this now. Another time saver, and an official one at that!
I do believe ,although I am open to being corrected,that if you cannot gain entry ,then you are not supposed to ring every buzzer etc. You can then, post the mail through the communal letterbox