ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

A few months in, I'm finally getting this job.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

A few months in, I'm finally getting this job.

Post by greengiant »

Chewster wrote: I never sign for letters for people, but there are plenty of customers who have explicitly asked that I just sign parcels for them and put it in their safeplace.
That's fine until the customer complains about parcel going missing, DOM checks the system and seen that it was signed for, then before you know it questions raised about what the postie has done with the parcel, dom suspects theft?

Not worth it for a few mins saved!
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

A few months in, I'm finally getting this job.

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

I find it ironic how the people who want and/or need overtime tend to often be the ones who cut the job up most. Follow rules, duty takes longer, extra pay from own duty if go past duty finish time.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

A few months in, I'm finally getting this job.

Post by Chewster »

greengiant wrote:
Chewster wrote: I never sign for letters for people, but there are plenty of customers who have explicitly asked that I just sign parcels for them and put it in their safeplace.
That's fine until the customer complains about parcel going missing, DOM checks the system and seen that it was signed for, then before you know it questions raised about what the postie has done with the parcel, dom suspects theft?

Not worth it for a few mins saved!
Yes that's a risk, but parcels going missing is also a risk for non signed for parcels. The introduction of a signature makes it a bigger pain in the bum sure, but really it's the same risk.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

A few months in, I'm finally getting this job.

Post by greengiant »

Chewster wrote:
greengiant wrote:
Chewster wrote: I never sign for letters for people, but there are plenty of customers who have explicitly asked that I just sign parcels for them and put it in their safeplace.
That's fine until the customer complains about parcel going missing, DOM checks the system and seen that it was signed for, then before you know it questions raised about what the postie has done with the parcel, dom suspects theft?

Not worth it for a few mins saved!
Yes that's a risk, but parcels going missing is also a risk for non signed for parcels. The introduction of a signature makes it a bigger pain in the bum sure, but really it's the same risk.
Less of a risk if you deliver to neighbour, or p739 them! A "safe place" isn't very safe if you can reach it and put a parcel in without locking it afterwards - Mr T Leaf can easily reach in and remove it!
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

A few months in, I'm finally getting this job.

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Chewster wrote:Never had a problem with claiming overtime at my job. I'm on a 24 hour contract and am regularly claiming 3+ hours overtime, 5+ sometimes if I'm on a vanshare duty with certain slower folk lol.

As for taking shortcuts, go for it, just don't do anything stupid and be prepared to answer for it if you get caught. I personally would never ever doorstep though. I personally don't bother going to neighbours unless I know that they are likely to be in and are happy to take something for them (a lot of people won't give their neighbour the time of day..) P739s I only fill out "properly" if taking item back to the office, no point filling everything in if you're just sticking it in the shed. D2Ds you're better off just doing properly. I got myself in a lot of grief one week for returning over 200 of each D2D we had for that week :oops: And I don't think there's anything wrong with signing for stuff if you know someone is happy for you to do that. I never sign for letters for people, but there are plenty of customers who have explicitly asked that I just sign parcels for them and put it in their safeplace. No point making extra work for yourself when you know that you'd in fact be doing a BETTER service to certain customers by not doing everything the exact prescribed way. Imagine if you actually used your dog peg at every door. You'd be there for ages!

I've always said - work is about investing minimum effort for maximum reward
There is so much wrong in this post it's unbelievable, you really need to figure out who the customer is. The customer is the sender and they have selected a certain product depending on how they want us to handle their letter/parcel yes the recipient may feel you are doing them a favour by following their instructions but the customer may not actually want your signature for a parcel and it left not delivered correctly the customer may actually prefer you did your job properly and take it back to the do and wait for the recipient to collect and sign for it, you have no way to know and should follow the deliver spec for each product correctly

as for saying to make the job as easy as possible, you have just pointed out on another thread about getting your hours cut, taking short cuts leads to getting more hours cut from offices so you are only cutting your own throat by not doing your job correctly

I would learn quickly how to do the job properly and how to treat mail correctly otherwise you may find yourself out of a job going by some of the things you seem to be getting up to
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

A few months in, I'm finally getting this job.

Post by woopesh »

My doorstepping will be selective. If the parcel will be in plain view of the street I will 739 it. If can't be seen, or can be placed in a discreet nook, then it will be door stepped. We are pushed to deliver first time as there are first time delivery targets. Besides, writing out 739's takes too long.

I would also never sign for a parcel or leave mail bags unattended. That is too much risk for me.

I will concentrate on speed from now on asking Is the mail reasonably secure? I was previously making sure it was totally secure to the book. Never again.

Of course all this palava would be completely unnecessary if they did 30 hour part time contracts or if the senior management made claiming a few additional hours make no difference to delivery office targets, but the fact they havent done this says senior management would rather save those hours.

I think most companies have to say one thing in public and have policies to reflect their public face but then also have to confront financial realities. In the Royal Mail offices I have been in, the financial realities by far outstrip any PR guff about customer service, security, stsff morale etc.
POSTWOMAN
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 107
Joined: 30 Apr 2010, 20:23
Gender: Female

A few months in, I'm finally getting this job.

Post by POSTWOMAN »

woopesh what you should do is think about the outcomes. What will happen if something goes wrong. Think about it carefully.

Why bother to fill in the 739 properly if you telling a household about a "Safeplace"? Just write, behind bin or plant pot or whatever. Times 10 packets and thats another 5 mins saved.

if oneday the packet at the safeplace gets stolen then the customer will bring the p739 card to the office & the manager will show you the incomplete card.The chances are rare but it can happen.

Why bother to shut gates if no one complains? It might only take 2 or 3 seconds a gate, but spread over 500 houses, that is 1500 seconds or 25 mins saved.
If that happens on regular basis then imagine the locality with lot of open gates. The customers will point it to the postman if not exactly you.

Why bother to deliver to each flat in a mansion block if there is a communal letter box? Just let them sort the mail out themselves, at least until people start complaining. The manager might say deliver to each flat next time please, but I bet nothing else would happen unless you kept doing it.

Like you said keep continuing until manager asks to deliver to each flat. Your answer -as I saw a communal letter box I didn't know but i will now deliver to each flat.

Similarly, why bother to stuff a door to door in each pidgeon hole at a block of flats when you can just leave them as a stack on the floor? Why bother delivering them to each house or flat unless you have letters to post there? How will they check? Its not as if households remember each and every piece of junk mail, and they get so many bits of junk mail they will just say... yeah, I can't remember but I probably got one of those, I bin mine straight away.

if you are thinking of leaving them on the office floor then its not wise as u sign d2d sheets saying that you prepped d2d for that day.
If a flat doesn't have a letter then put its d2d into another flat aka another flat gets 2 d2d instead of 1 but it saves time by skipping the flat which doesn't have a letter.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

A few months in, I'm finally getting this job.

Post by Chewster »

zx135 wrote:
Chewster wrote:Never had a problem with claiming overtime at my job. I'm on a 24 hour contract and am regularly claiming 3+ hours overtime, 5+ sometimes if I'm on a vanshare duty with certain slower folk lol.

As for taking shortcuts, go for it, just don't do anything stupid and be prepared to answer for it if you get caught. I personally would never ever doorstep though. I personally don't bother going to neighbours unless I know that they are likely to be in and are happy to take something for them (a lot of people won't give their neighbour the time of day..) P739s I only fill out "properly" if taking item back to the office, no point filling everything in if you're just sticking it in the shed. D2Ds you're better off just doing properly. I got myself in a lot of grief one week for returning over 200 of each D2D we had for that week :oops: And I don't think there's anything wrong with signing for stuff if you know someone is happy for you to do that. I never sign for letters for people, but there are plenty of customers who have explicitly asked that I just sign parcels for them and put it in their safeplace. No point making extra work for yourself when you know that you'd in fact be doing a BETTER service to certain customers by not doing everything the exact prescribed way. Imagine if you actually used your dog peg at every door. You'd be there for ages!

I've always said - work is about investing minimum effort for maximum reward
There is so much wrong in this post it's unbelievable, you really need to figure out who the customer is. The customer is the sender and they have selected a certain product depending on how they want us to handle their letter/parcel yes the recipient may feel you are doing them a favour by following their instructions but the customer may not actually want your signature for a parcel and it left not delivered correctly the customer may actually prefer you did your job properly and take it back to the do and wait for the recipient to collect and sign for it, you have no way to know and should follow the deliver spec for each product correctly

as for saying to make the job as easy as possible, you have just pointed out on another thread about getting your hours cut, taking short cuts leads to getting more hours cut from offices so you are only cutting your own throat by not doing your job correctly

I would learn quickly how to do the job properly and how to treat mail correctly otherwise you may find yourself out of a job going by some of the things you seem to be getting up to
9 times out of 10 a parcel is a product that has been bought online by the addressee, and the postage has been paid by the addressee. By definition, the addressee is the customer in this case, having paid for the service that I am providing.

And yes I'm moaning about getting my hours cut. Getting my hours cut has nothing to do with my taking shortcuts. Even when I do take shortcuts, my duty (before they cut the indoor work) was still taking me more or less the amount of time it was due to take (about 7 hours 30 minutes including break I think it was), depending on how busy it was obviously.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

A few months in, I'm finally getting this job.

Post by Chewster »

OOOPS just noticed I've said 24 hour contract up there, meant 20!!!
Speedmeister
Posts: 119
Joined: 10 Feb 2011, 22:06
Gender: Male

A few months in, I'm finally getting this job.

Post by Speedmeister »

woopesh wrote:I'm a part timer on a 25 our contract. At first, I followed all the rules. I kept going overtime. The DOMS were "resistant" to paying overtime for a single duty. I thought, what a horrible company. They set impossible goals and expect you to work for free!

But now I'm starting to get it.

They well and truly know that following all the rules makes finishing on time impossible. The rules exist to limit Royal Mail's liabilities. For instance, they tell you to never doorstep, when really "Safeplace" on the 739 is a euphemism for doorstepping. If the parcel gets stolen from the "Safeplace" then its your fault because you were told never to doorstep.

All they really care about is that things get delivered as cheaply as possible. So you have to protect the mail from being stolen, you have to stick it in the right letterbox, you have to finish your duty in the allotted time. The rest is noise.

That took me a good few months! I was confused as heck for a while. Now, instead of thinking... is this within the rules, I'll have to start thinking... can I get away with this? Will it get back to me somehow, will someone complain? Is it a good time saver?

Any ideas to save time would be gratefully received.
I quite agree it's ridiculous when you have to break the law & their own rules on health & safety/security just to do the job in time. It's got even worse with absorption every day. Now they're saying if you're going to go over your time you have to book the overtime or tell them you won't have time to do the absorption before you go out. How the hell am I supposed to know how long a delivery will take when I'm doing a different round each day?
They take the profits, you take the blame
When they tell you there's no rise in pay
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

A few months in, I'm finally getting this job.

Post by Postie45 »

it has to be said theres a huge difference in my approach if i was on a trial period contract vs the full time contract im on. If I was on a trial contract I think I would feel under more pressure to cut corners to get things done, it isnt right and i wouldnt necessarily be happy about it, but sometimes you dont really have a choice especially if youre in an office with poor union support and aggressive management.
Once you have your feet in the door, then doing things properly does become easier and easier to do, to the point where i currently do pretty much everything "by the book" does it take longer and do i need to book overtime ? yes, and i also have the experience and answers for managers if ever challenged, it cant be as easy for people new to the job unfortunately.
As the OP stated, he is 100% correct, RM turn a blind eye to practises which get things delivered but when things go wrong theyll gladly warn you about how you shouldnt be doing them.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

A few months in, I'm finally getting this job.

Post by Postie45 »

Speedmeister wrote:
I quite agree it's ridiculous when you have to break the law & their own rules on health & safety/security just to do the job in time. It's got even worse with absorption every day. Now they're saying if you're going to go over your time you have to book the overtime or tell them you won't have time to do the absorption before you go out. How the hell am I supposed to know how long a delivery will take when I'm doing a different round each day?

Just say exactly that - you dont know how long the delivery will take, its possible you will run out of time and be unable to complete. Then let the manager do what theyre paid to do - manage.
POSTWOMAN
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 107
Joined: 30 Apr 2010, 20:23
Gender: Female

A few months in, I'm finally getting this job.

Post by POSTWOMAN »

Postie45 wrote:
Speedmeister wrote:
I quite agree it's ridiculous when you have to break the law & their own rules on health & safety/security just to do the job in time. It's got even worse with absorption every day. Now they're saying if you're going to go over your time you have to book the overtime or tell them you won't have time to do the absorption before you go out. How the hell am I supposed to know how long a delivery will take when I'm doing a different round each day?

Just say exactly that - you dont know how long the delivery will take, its possible you will run out of time and be unable to complete. Then let the manager do what theyre paid to do - manage.
3 minutes per close. so if the walk has 50 closes then you can guess - 150 minutes approximately.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

A few months in, I'm finally getting this job.

Post by NewPostieUK »

What the heck is a close? I do a close that is 59 houses, does that take 3 mins?
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

A few months in, I'm finally getting this job.

Post by Creditshampoo »

POSTWOMAN wrote:woopesh what you should do is think about the outcomes. What will happen if something goes wrong. Think about it carefully.

Why bother to fill in the 739 properly if you telling a household about a "Safeplace"? Just write, behind bin or plant pot or whatever. Times 10 packets and thats another 5 mins saved.

if oneday the packet at the safeplace gets stolen then the customer will bring the p739 card to the office & the manager will show you the incomplete card.The chances are rare but it can happen.

Why bother to shut gates if no one complains? It might only take 2 or 3 seconds a gate, but spread over 500 houses, that is 1500 seconds or 25 mins saved.
If that happens on regular basis then imagine the locality with lot of open gates. The customers will point it to the postman if not exactly you.

Why bother to deliver to each flat in a mansion block if there is a communal letter box? Just let them sort the mail out themselves, at least until people start complaining. The manager might say deliver to each flat next time please, but I bet nothing else would happen unless you kept doing it.

Like you said keep continuing until manager asks to deliver to each flat. Your answer -as I saw a communal letter box I didn't know but i will now deliver to each flat.

Similarly, why bother to stuff a door to door in each pidgeon hole at a block of flats when you can just leave them as a stack on the floor? Why bother delivering them to each house or flat unless you have letters to post there? How will they check? Its not as if households remember each and every piece of junk mail, and they get so many bits of junk mail they will just say... yeah, I can't remember but I probably got one of those, I bin mine straight away.

if you are thinking of leaving them on the office floor then its not wise as u sign d2d sheets saying that you prepped d2d for that day.
If a flat doesn't have a letter then put its d2d into another flat aka another flat gets 2 d2d instead of 1 but it saves time by skipping the flat which doesn't have a letter.
In flats if you have a item requiring signature you can ring the bell, if they don't come down you can officially leave a p739 without going up to tbem