ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Insurance scam?
-
aposter
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 205
- Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 16:21
- Gender: Male
Insurance scam?
Its a scam. Or at least it sounds similar to one that as being doing the rounds. Person rings up company for a quote but says it is complicated so will company please ring them back. They then give the company a premium rate number that pays them £'s per minute. They keep company on phone for an age and give a false name and address.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Insurance scam?
Rubbishaposter wrote:Its a scam. Or at least it sounds similar to one that as being doing the rounds. Person rings up company for a quote but says it is complicated so will company please ring them back. They then give the company a premium rate number that pays them £'s per minute. They keep company on phone for an age and give a false name and address.
-
Justanotherstar
- Posts: 351
- Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
- Gender: Male
Insurance scam?
I was on a walk a few weeks ago and I was getting loads of letters from Churchill's coming through, Obviously I delivered them but they all came back the next day, Must have been about 40/50 letters by the end of the week...definitely a scam going on.
-
aposter
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 205
- Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 16:21
- Gender: Male
Insurance scam?
Wanna bet?arnold cheshire wrote:Rubbishaposter wrote:Its a scam. Or at least it sounds similar to one that as being doing the rounds. Person rings up company for a quote but says it is complicated so will company please ring them back. They then give the company a premium rate number that pays them £'s per minute. They keep company on phone for an age and give a false name and address.
-
Tman
- Posts: 4146
- Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57
Insurance scam?
What, you want to bet that call centres couldn't recognise a premium rate number as a return? Really? 
-
aposter
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 205
- Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 16:21
- Gender: Male
Insurance scam?
Whatever, better things to do with my time than argue about something that I was told about but at the end of the day truly don't give a flying f**k about.Tman wrote:What, you want to bet that call centres couldn't recognise a premium rate number as a return? Really?
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Insurance scam?
Yep loads,addressee Unknown,and back they go
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Insurance scam?
Occasionally get stuff like that with totally random names going to addresses where they don't live, most often from HMRC of all people! I had one with an Eastern European name going to a house that has been lived in by the same local family for over 60 years...
And on the topic of killing off letters. If you have a letter for John Smith, and the person in the house says John Smith doesn't live there, surely you'd be right to kill off every subsequent letter for John Smith? "Sorry sir, I know you told me yesterday that John Smith doesn't live here but I've got another letter for him today and I was wondering if he's perhaps moved in within the last 24 hours."
And on the topic of killing off letters. If you have a letter for John Smith, and the person in the house says John Smith doesn't live there, surely you'd be right to kill off every subsequent letter for John Smith? "Sorry sir, I know you told me yesterday that John Smith doesn't live here but I've got another letter for him today and I was wondering if he's perhaps moved in within the last 24 hours."
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Insurance scam?
Chewster wrote: And on the topic of killing off letters. If you have a letter for John Smith, and the person in the house says John Smith doesn't live there, surely you'd be right to kill off every subsequent letter for John Smith? "Sorry sir, I know you told me yesterday that John Smith doesn't live here but I've got another letter for him today and I was wondering if he's perhaps moved in within the last 24 hours."
you should keep posting them, remember we don't deliver to John Smith or any other name we deliver to addresses and a customer has paid for us to deliver those letters to that address it's not up to us to simply send it back without delivering it, the customer may want it delivered there regardless you have no way to know they don't, we can't assume anything and should always deliver as addressed, personally I won't even knock the door to ask, just post it and if the occupier doesn't want it they can write not known etc and post it back, that is the correct procedure to follow
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Insurance scam?
No. Only once, a few days ago, did I have letters to what looks like Romanian surnames, one of them a Signed For, for that farm.Trolleyed wrote:I was told they didn't live there and had never lived there (houses are only a year or two old). Does that mean you are taking mail for the same name to the farm and asking the farmer every time?Lounge Lizard wrote:I had some yesterday from an insurance company to a farm addressed to people with what looks like Romanian surnames, one of them a Signed For.Trolleyed wrote:Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed mail addressed to people with what looks like Romanian surnames, to addresses where I know damn well they don't live. (Checked the first one with the people who do live there and the other two happen to be friends of mine). Some are signed for, some aren't but they are always from insurance companies. Have informed DOM and just been killing them off. Wondered if it might be some sort of scam. Anyone else had this?
The farmer said he had worked there a while ago and probably owed money so they were killed off, Not Delivered, Addressee Gone Away.
It's not for me to kill them off without being told something like that.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Insurance scam?
I always take the letters to a house where someone has said they have gone away. It helps the residents if they suspect, or it even may help them realise, that identity fraud may be occurring.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Insurance scam?
That's a good thought Mr Terrier, never thought of that. Although most of my gone aways tend to be people who have long since moved away. Even had one addressed to a lady who had not lived in the house in over 30 years...
-
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
- Posts: 182
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
- Gender: Male
Insurance scam?
I had something similar years ago , somebody taking loans out on a address.
The lady called me back one day telling me that I had misdelivered as these people didn't live at her address and she had recently been getting letters , I advised her as that the address was correct maybe she should open the letters , turns out £3000 of loans against her house !!!
Yes I always deliver every letter since then and presume nothing.
The lady called me back one day telling me that I had misdelivered as these people didn't live at her address and she had recently been getting letters , I advised her as that the address was correct maybe she should open the letters , turns out £3000 of loans against her house !!!
Yes I always deliver every letter since then and presume nothing.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Insurance scam?
Same goes for handing mail to people in the street! Brother in Law lived in a block of 6 flats. Apparently someone used to stop the Postie at the entrance and ask if there was any mail for No 6?......Regular Postie used to hand it over.
When the Regular Postie went on Leave the same guy asked the Reserve Postie if there was any mail for No 6? Postie told him, "I don't deliver mail in the street, I don't know you, I'll have to post it through your letter box"
Brother in law opened all this dodgy mail and it was all applications for credit cards & loans! He was able to contact all these companies and cancel everything. The moral of this story is DELIVER AS ADDRESSED Don't worry about who does, or doesn't, live there you've done your job and just tell them to RTS Not Known!
When the Regular Postie went on Leave the same guy asked the Reserve Postie if there was any mail for No 6? Postie told him, "I don't deliver mail in the street, I don't know you, I'll have to post it through your letter box"
Brother in law opened all this dodgy mail and it was all applications for credit cards & loans! He was able to contact all these companies and cancel everything. The moral of this story is DELIVER AS ADDRESSED Don't worry about who does, or doesn't, live there you've done your job and just tell them to RTS Not Known!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
castra
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 05 Oct 2012, 11:31
- Gender: Male
Insurance scam?
On my old walk I had two addresses where there was a special instruction amongst the re-di book to only deliver mail of a certain name, ie mr smith, mrs jones, and to kill off all other mail with different names. One had been involved in a neighbour dispute. He started receiving advertising crap in the name of Micky Mouse, Dick Head etc. Obviously he only wanted genuine mail. If I get mail thrown back at me, claiming unknown, I would kill it off as refused but also advise the customer to contact RM to have only mail with a specific name delivered to that address.