ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
lots of talk about new delivery strategy
-
thegreatestfreddy
- Posts: 171
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 19:57
- Gender: Male
lots of talk about new delivery strategy
just found this documentation on the CUPW website (Canadian Union of Postal Workers)
recommending abandoning any multi-bundle system of working....
http://www.cupw.ca/sites/default/files/ ... -09-17.pdf
recommending abandoning any multi-bundle system of working....
http://www.cupw.ca/sites/default/files/ ... -09-17.pdf
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
lots of talk about new delivery strategy
And then along comes winter with all the ice and snow,you couldn't make this sh1te up.steve1873 wrote:So you are walking with your non-posting arm fully extended, not actually using your hand to grip at least 1 of the bundles? That sounds both excruciating from a fatigue standpoint and will result in multiple spillages and possibly accidents as a result.IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:By having multiple bundles of mail, probably going up your non-dominant forearm, up to the elbow? Stand still; filter letter bundle for next address; filter D2D bundle for next batch; walk to next address and post it through secure letterbox; rinse and repeat?steve1873 wrote:thegreatestfreddy wrote:How exactly does letter and flat merging at the door work? Given we only have 2 hands! Serious question by the way! How do we carry 2 separate bundles of mail and then merge the address together at the delivery point?
Didn't Moya introduce this technique in Canada, where D2D was merged on delivery, by having a a D2D and a letter bundle on the go? Or am I getting confused with the USA postal system ?
MENTAL!!!
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
lots of talk about new delivery strategy
Would not surprise me if they gave us all hover boards which would burst into flames and consume us as we drift down the street those that survive will be interrogated as to the improper use of the tried and tested royalmail equipment!DB1100 wrote:And then along comes winter with all the ice and snow,you couldn't make this sh1te up.steve1873 wrote:So you are walking with your non-posting arm fully extended, not actually using your hand to grip at least 1 of the bundles? That sounds both excruciating from a fatigue standpoint and will result in multiple spillages and possibly accidents as a result.IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:By having multiple bundles of mail, probably going up your non-dominant forearm, up to the elbow? Stand still; filter letter bundle for next address; filter D2D bundle for next batch; walk to next address and post it through secure letterbox; rinse and repeat?steve1873 wrote:thegreatestfreddy wrote:How exactly does letter and flat merging at the door work? Given we only have 2 hands! Serious question by the way! How do we carry 2 separate bundles of mail and then merge the address together at the delivery point?
Didn't Moya introduce this technique in Canada, where D2D was merged on delivery, by having a a D2D and a letter bundle on the go? Or am I getting confused with the USA postal system ?
MENTAL!!!
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12202
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
lots of talk about new delivery strategy
Is your DO's A+ all up to date?lala wrote:Also, what about re-di's if the mail isn't touched till outside. Also we get loads of odd missorts in our mech ss it is.
-
thegreatestfreddy
- Posts: 171
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 19:57
- Gender: Male
lots of talk about new delivery strategy
Ours isn't... Loads of walks not sequenced correctly and managers haven't got time to do anything about it.. Mind you that would involve some personal effort such they are not good at !!SpacePhoenix wrote:Is your DO's A+ all up to date?lala wrote:Also, what about re-di's if the mail isn't touched till outside. Also we get loads of odd missorts in our mech ss it is.
-
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
- Posts: 182
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
- Gender: Male
lots of talk about new delivery strategy
Our A+ is correct but we still get random daily missorts in the sequenced trays from other duties or sections from the middle of the frame at the end of the box, this isn't a glitch as there is mail for these addresses correctly sequenced.
Still this wouldn't create much of a issue if it was bench merged would it ........ Just bring back a bundle of mail at the end of delivery and leave it in the frame for delivery tommorow ........ Oh wait , somebody has nicked the frame.
One thing that these wonder machines can't sort is all the Radio Times and Farmers Guardian that gets dumped in our packet Yorks when the MC runs out of time / staff to sort them correctly
Still this wouldn't create much of a issue if it was bench merged would it ........ Just bring back a bundle of mail at the end of delivery and leave it in the frame for delivery tommorow ........ Oh wait , somebody has nicked the frame.
One thing that these wonder machines can't sort is all the Radio Times and Farmers Guardian that gets dumped in our packet Yorks when the MC runs out of time / staff to sort them correctly
-
borgpicard
- Posts: 486
- Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:45
- Gender: Male
lots of talk about new delivery strategy
The idots at the top have lost touch with reality, we'er all Dooooooooooooooooomd I say.
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
lots of talk about new delivery strategy
Interesting turn of events!thegreatestfreddy wrote:just found this documentation on the CUPW website (Canadian Union of Postal Workers)
recommending abandoning any multi-bundle system of working....
http://www.cupw.ca/sites/default/files/ ... -09-17.pdf
Watch RM try and adopt this regardless, the report sounds far too sensible.
Given I am responsible for my own H&S, I would love to know my rights to refuse to adopt this multi-bundle carrying, if RM tried to push this obsolete-looking "time saver."
-
Stunl3y
- Posts: 73
- Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 11:57
- Gender: Male
lots of talk about new delivery strategy
So there I am at a door holding 2 bundles, a PDA and a packet , now sorry if my maths isnt great but isnt two hands holding 4 things pretty much imposible , oh hang on a sec how do I push the trolly

-
In The Know
- Posts: 50
- Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 18:11
- Gender: Male
lots of talk about new delivery strategy
Push it with your tongue.Stunl3y wrote:So there I am at a door holding 2 bundles, a PDA and a packet , now sorry if my maths isnt great but isnt two hands holding 4 things pretty much imposible , oh hang on a sec how do I push the trolly![]()
![]()
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
lots of talk about new delivery strategy
4 walks over a week sounds extremely low!SpacePhoenix wrote:Each person doing a d2d only delivery could probably do at least 4 walks worth of d2d over a weekA2B wrote:How would making d2d a separate duty make any senseSpacePhoenix wrote:
Think it was mentioned in another thread that the XMS machines that RM are looking at can sequence the d2ds as well as the flats and letters. I wouldn't be surprised to see d2d delivery being made a duty on it's ownRM would still make a profit but nowhere near what they do now
I reckon I could easily cover 2 walks a day if only delivering d2d's (and I'm by no means particularly quick or fit)
If I could come out with £23.00 per walk for delivering d2d's (i.e. the current delivery supplement) that would be £230 a week for about 30 hours work... working on my own, stress free, no park and loop, no knock ons.
It would also make financial sense from RM's point of view... d2d's still take up a considerable amount of an OPG's time in their preparation and delivery, that's time being paid at over £10 an hour, time that could be more wisely spent delivering more profitable packets, specials etc... whilst I deliver the d2d's for only £7 an hour.
-
A2B
- Posts: 2033
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
lots of talk about new delivery strategy
wacko74 wrote:4 walks over a week sounds extremely low!SpacePhoenix wrote:Each person doing a d2d only delivery could probably do at least 4 walks worth of d2d over a weekA2B wrote:How would making d2d a separate duty make any senseSpacePhoenix wrote:
Think it was mentioned in another thread that the XMS machines that RM are looking at can sequence the d2ds as well as the flats and letters. I wouldn't be surprised to see d2d delivery being made a duty on it's ownRM would still make a profit but nowhere near what they do now
I reckon I could easily cover 2 walks a day if only delivering d2d's (and I'm by no means particularly quick or fit)
If I could come out with £23.00 per walk for delivering d2d's (i.e. the current delivery supplement) that would be £230 a week for about 30 hours work... working on my own, stress free, no park and loop, no knock ons.
It would also make financial sense from RM's point of view... d2d's still take up a considerable amount of an OPG's time in their preparation and delivery, that's time being paid at over £10 an hour, time that could be more wisely spent delivering more profitable packets, specials etc... whilst I deliver the d2d's for only £7 an hour.
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
lots of talk about new delivery strategy
The problem being, you don't get £23 "per walk" delivery supplement. You get £23 per 39 hour fulltime contract. And it is pro-rata.wacko74 wrote:4 walks over a week sounds extremely low!SpacePhoenix wrote:Each person doing a d2d only delivery could probably do at least 4 walks worth of d2d over a weekA2B wrote:How would making d2d a separate duty make any senseSpacePhoenix wrote:
Think it was mentioned in another thread that the XMS machines that RM are looking at can sequence the d2ds as well as the flats and letters. I wouldn't be surprised to see d2d delivery being made a duty on it's ownRM would still make a profit but nowhere near what they do now
I reckon I could easily cover 2 walks a day if only delivering d2d's (and I'm by no means particularly quick or fit)
If I could come out with £23.00 per walk for delivering d2d's (i.e. the current delivery supplement) that would be £230 a week for about 30 hours work... working on my own, stress free, no park and loop, no knock ons.
It would also make financial sense from RM's point of view... d2d's still take up a considerable amount of an OPG's time in their preparation and delivery, that's time being paid at over £10 an hour, time that could be more wisely spent delivering more profitable packets, specials etc... whilst I deliver the d2d's for only £7 an hour.
Allied to the fact it has NOTHING whatsoever to do with the prep or delivery of D2D items!
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
lots of talk about new delivery strategy
Oh right, we're back onto the old chestnut of the delivery supplement ''having nothing at all to do with d2d's'' are we?steve1873 wrote:The problem being, you don't get £23 "per walk" delivery supplement. You get £23 per 39 hour fulltime contract. And it is pro-rata.wacko74 wrote:4 walks over a week sounds extremely low!SpacePhoenix wrote:Each person doing a d2d only delivery could probably do at least 4 walks worth of d2d over a weekA2B wrote:How would making d2d a separate duty make any senseSpacePhoenix wrote:
Think it was mentioned in another thread that the XMS machines that RM are looking at can sequence the d2ds as well as the flats and letters. I wouldn't be surprised to see d2d delivery being made a duty on it's ownRM would still make a profit but nowhere near what they do now
I reckon I could easily cover 2 walks a day if only delivering d2d's (and I'm by no means particularly quick or fit)
If I could come out with £23.00 per walk for delivering d2d's (i.e. the current delivery supplement) that would be £230 a week for about 30 hours work... working on my own, stress free, no park and loop, no knock ons.
It would also make financial sense from RM's point of view... d2d's still take up a considerable amount of an OPG's time in their preparation and delivery, that's time being paid at over £10 an hour, time that could be more wisely spent delivering more profitable packets, specials etc... whilst I deliver the d2d's for only £7 an hour.
Allied to the fact it has NOTHING whatsoever to do with the prep or delivery of D2D items!
And it was just complete coincidence that this payment was introduced at exactly the same time that individual payments for d2d's came to an end?
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
lots of talk about new delivery strategy
Well if you can call a 100% iron cast fact an old chestnut, then yes I guess it is.wacko74 wrote:Oh right, we're back onto the old chestnut of the delivery supplement ''having nothing at all to do with d2d's'' are we?steve1873 wrote:The problem being, you don't get £23 "per walk" delivery supplement. You get £23 per 39 hour fulltime contract. And it is pro-rata.wacko74 wrote:4 walks over a week sounds extremely low!SpacePhoenix wrote:Each person doing a d2d only delivery could probably do at least 4 walks worth of d2d over a weekA2B wrote:How would making d2d a separate duty make any senseSpacePhoenix wrote:
Think it was mentioned in another thread that the XMS machines that RM are looking at can sequence the d2ds as well as the flats and letters. I wouldn't be surprised to see d2d delivery being made a duty on it's ownRM would still make a profit but nowhere near what they do now
I reckon I could easily cover 2 walks a day if only delivering d2d's (and I'm by no means particularly quick or fit)
If I could come out with £23.00 per walk for delivering d2d's (i.e. the current delivery supplement) that would be £230 a week for about 30 hours work... working on my own, stress free, no park and loop, no knock ons.
It would also make financial sense from RM's point of view... d2d's still take up a considerable amount of an OPG's time in their preparation and delivery, that's time being paid at over £10 an hour, time that could be more wisely spent delivering more profitable packets, specials etc... whilst I deliver the d2d's for only £7 an hour.
Allied to the fact it has NOTHING whatsoever to do with the prep or delivery of D2D items!
And it was just complete coincidence that this payment was introduced at exactly the same time that individual payments for d2d's came to an end?
Last time you were on annual leave, how many d2d's did you deliver? How much of a delivery supplement did you receive?