ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by peshwaarinaan »

bustedflush wrote:
peshwaarinaan wrote:I only started in July. Do I have to be in for 12 months before I can apply to purchase extra A/L? I mentioned it to my DOM yesterday and he said he didn't think I was eligible but would check. Can anyone clarify this for me please?
I believe so, yes. It used to be longer, but 12 months minimum service nowadays is correct I was told by our office admin. I also believe permanent OPG contract may be necessary.
I was given a permanent contract after 12 weeks. If it's a minimum of 12 months service I'll just have to ask to take unpaid leave which amounts to the same thing!

Thanks anyway.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by bustedflush »

peshwaarinaan wrote:
bustedflush wrote:
peshwaarinaan wrote:I only started in July. Do I have to be in for 12 months before I can apply to purchase extra A/L? I mentioned it to my DOM yesterday and he said he didn't think I was eligible but would check. Can anyone clarify this for me please?
I believe so, yes. It used to be longer, but 12 months minimum service nowadays is correct I was told by our office admin. I also believe permanent OPG contract may be necessary.
I was given a permanent contract after 12 weeks. If it's a minimum of 12 months service I'll just have to ask to take unpaid leave which amounts to the same thing!

Thanks anyway.
No problem mate. Yes, you will need to find a swap with a colleague or alternatively unpaid leave. It's always worth sticking a note up or putting word round about a swap. especially if you are on the rota (wally week) system. That would only work if you were after 1 week or less. It would also demonstrate to managers you've tried all possible solutions before asking for unpaid leave. If over 1 week then really must go straight to the unpaid leave solution.
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by hampshireman »

It's no doubt been asked many times; but how much (approx.) is the weekly cost to purchase a weeks leave?

Many thanks
thehulk
Posts: 15
Joined: 27 Jan 2013, 09:48
Gender: Male

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by thehulk »

Just checked this weeks wage slip it's £13.13 a week.
That's 2 weeks extra leave.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72760
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

hampshireman wrote:It's no doubt been asked many times, but how much (approx.) is the weekly cost to purchase weeks leave?

Many thanks
On Entry: Four and a half week's contractual holiday Percentage adjustment

Option 1: 5 Week's holidays 1%
Option 2: 6 Week's holiday 3%

Standard after 5 year's service

Option 3: 5 week's holidays 0.6%
Option 4: 6 week's holidays 2.6%

Standard after 15 year's service - five weeks 1 days'
holiday
Option 5: 6 week's holiday 1.6%
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by peshwaarinaan »

bustedflush wrote:
peshwaarinaan wrote:
bustedflush wrote:
peshwaarinaan wrote:I only started in July. Do I have to be in for 12 months before I can apply to purchase extra A/L? I mentioned it to my DOM yesterday and he said he didn't think I was eligible but would check. Can anyone clarify this for me please?
I believe so, yes. It used to be longer, but 12 months minimum service nowadays is correct I was told by our office admin. I also believe permanent OPG contract may be necessary.
I was given a permanent contract after 12 weeks. If it's a minimum of 12 months service I'll just have to ask to take unpaid leave which amounts to the same thing!

Thanks anyway.
No problem mate. Yes, you will need to find a swap with a colleague or alternatively unpaid leave. It's always worth sticking a note up or putting word round about a swap. especially if you are on the rota (wally week) system. That would only work if you were after 1 week or less. It would also demonstrate to managers you've tried all possible solutions before asking for unpaid leave. If over 1 week then really must go straight to the unpaid leave solution.
The problem is that I am the only one in the office who only works Wednesday to Saturdays. Everyone else does six days and has a rest week after every five weeks. I only know one round (the one I'm on now which is the one I started on) so I don't see how I can ask to swap.

If someone was on rest week could I pay someone who knows my round to cover my shifts?
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by Darren Bent »

Can I applied for it via head office as our line managers are not getting it done.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32811
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by POSTMAN »

Lets be honest,it's worth doing even if it's just for novelty and wind up value.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Darren Bent wrote:Can I applied for it via head office as our line managers are not getting it done.

No, unfortunately it needs to be done on psp and literally takes a minute.
danny2006
Posts: 37
Joined: 03 Sep 2013, 16:18
Gender: Male

POAL

Post by danny2006 »

Hi i am thinking of purchasing annual leave for the first time, taking me up to six weeks.
I am on temp 39 hours with 8 years service. How much is deducted from my pay? Cannot find a definite answer anywhere.

Cheers folks.
dids620
Posts: 80
Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 15:23
Gender: Male

POAL

Post by dids620 »

Should be just over £10 per week. Sorry i cant be more accurate as i have just got 15 years service so i am entitled to 5 weeks and my POAL has gone down from just over £10 to just over £6
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

POAL

Post by korky »

there's a sticky top of this page
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32811
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by POSTMAN »

Topics merged and Teebs posted this...
On Entry: Four and a half week's contractual holiday Percentage adjustment

Option 1: 5 Week's holidays 1%
Option 2: 6 Week's holiday 3%

Standard after 5 year's service

Option 3: 5 week's holidays 0.6%
Option 4: 6 week's holidays 2.6%

Standard after 15 year's service - five weeks 1 days'
holiday
Option 5: 6 week's holiday 1.6%
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
super-postie
Posts: 94
Joined: 30 Jul 2015, 06:48
Gender: Male

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by super-postie »

Ive purchases annual leave. Now have 6 weeks entitlement. However I have struggled to get time off during school holidays. Can I officially request all my leave be during school holidays eg. 4 weeks in summer hols. 1 week in October and another half term?
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

super-postie wrote:Ive purchases annual leave. Now have 6 weeks entitlement. However I have struggled to get time off during school holidays. Can I officially request all my leave be during school holidays eg. 4 weeks in summer hols. 1 week in October and another half term?
You can request it but RM is not actually obliged to give it to you then,