ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by OnAFlyer »

dtyssmshdchrb wrote:
97gaz wrote:Are you sure it's supposed to be tied? The shorty coat I have has clamps on the cords. Slide them down until the hood is tight enough.
And marvel at the design feature that lets you be whipped in the face by them any time the wind picks up! :hmmmm
Tuck them under the Velcro flaps.

I must be getting a different coat to everyone here, cos mine is waterproof. I wash it with non-bio and stick it in the tumble dryer, and it's still waterproof.
super-postie
Posts: 94
Joined: 30 Jul 2015, 06:48
Gender: Male

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by super-postie »

Got a brand new coat the other day. First heavy rain - Soaking arms and back. Lovely, when you get soaked through within 5 mins of starting your delivery. And yes, I also get the standard "eye whipping" with the elastic blowing in the wind. Another great design - not.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by NewPostieUK »

Are you sure it's not sweat and condensation? I'm pretty sure that's why I'm soaking every day.
Caniel
Posts: 623
Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
Gender: Female
Location: The Batcave

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by Caniel »

We had a some really heavy rain recently that lasted all day non stop, I got soaked to my knickers even though I was wearing the new stormproof jacket and leggings. I ended up getting ill and having to go off sick :sad:
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

We classify BAD Weather as a "Two Coat Day"! That's when you chuck a spare Stormcoat in the back of the van and change halfway around the duty. :thumbup

A quick tip ,if you've not thought of it already, wear a baseball cap when it's pissing down, RM or other, it prevents the hood from slipping down/blowing off and shields your eyes from the rain. I don't really mind the Crap weather.....any Dickhead can do the job on a Nice Sunny day with a pair of shorts and a polo shirt on! :roll: A bit of torrential rain & gale force winds certainly slows the Runners down a bit......Then the Plodders come into their own! :thumbup
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
BarnsleyLackey
Posts: 349
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
Gender: Male

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by BarnsleyLackey »

The orange rain coat works fine. I've had full days of rain in it, with the only wet patch on my shirt being what's run down my neck.

Simple fact is: Carrying your bag on your shoulder rubs off the waterproofing.
ziggy
Posts: 114
Joined: 10 Jul 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male
Location: Back o Beyond

Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?

Post by ziggy »

BarnsleyLackey wrote:The orange rain coat works fine. I've had full days of rain in it, with the only wet patch on my shirt being what's run down my neck.

Simple fact is: Carrying your bag on your shoulder rubs off the waterproofing.
So does washing them, makes you wonder why they don't provide waterproofing stuff instead of having to replace the jackets so often. I get a new one at the start of winter every year because the waterproofing is too far gone. What a waste of jackets
Ziggy