ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How does getting own walk work?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

How does getting own walk work?

Post by Surreypostie »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
franco1 wrote:Ive been in this job about 6 months now and like most of you, I had to learn as I went.
One thing I have not found out about yet is how the signing of walks works.
I know im a long way from getting my own walk but im just interested to know how it works.
Many thanks
Simple really, when they are advertised on the notice board apply. If you are the most senior that has applied you get it.

Usually you'll only get the worst duties, but at least, you'll have an idea what you are doing on a daily basis.
If you believe RM then al walks are equal, there are no worst duties :)
franco1
Posts: 185
Joined: 25 Jun 2015, 16:55
Gender: Male

How does getting own walk work?

Post by franco1 »

When your a new starter you know which are the worst duties because your being asked to do them!!
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

How does getting own walk work?

Post by Barbel »

You might be as lucky as I was to get your own round after only a couple of years. I applied for a job in a rural area and got it as no one from my office wanted to travel as it was 15 miles away. Luckily I found a house up here too so now only have a 5 minute walk to the office and there's only 6 of us. I also went from 18 hours a week to full time so don't give up hope.
P739
Posts: 277
Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 13:48

How does getting own walk work?

Post by P739 »

Dream on pal 15 years and still don't have a walk to call my own :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
aposter
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 205
Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 16:21
Gender: Male

How does getting own walk work?

Post by aposter »

Surprised tbh, p/t newbies these days seem to be molly coddled and have their own round given to them by default within days of starting. Twisted and bitter? not in the slightest, 15 years and covered 4 different rounds this last week alone :evil/mad
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

How does getting own walk work?

Post by fb1969 »

If more than one walk comes up for signing, put in for more than one. We had 5 or 6 come up and I put in for 3 different ones - no one else put in for my third choice so I got it. Then the revision came in and I no longer have my own, but it was good while it lasted.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

How does getting own walk work?

Post by Darren Bent »

It all depends on your office and how many staff there are. It is very hard to get your own walk and some people with a decade experience doesn't have their own walk. If there is vacancy you can apply for it but if there is no takers then you can take it. So be careful when applying for your walk as if you got a really bad one you will be stuck with it for a long time. So don't think about getting a walk for a long time.