Nothing except to try and defend the idiots when they are caught.motherhubbard wrote:Postie A and postie B are on a van share together.TrueBlueTerrier wrote: But it's not the Unions job to police the workforce![]()
Its the managers job.
They complain bitterly every Weds - Sat that they won't complete with their heavy packets and want them taken off.
Every day they park up round the back of B&Q for 45 minutes. (Not their meal relief)
What does the rep do?
Whatever he needs to to keep the status quo or ensure that the proposal does not break any of the agreements. You only lapse when you have the capacity to do so. I have hardly ever lapsed even on a Tuesday - and when I have it's because I have the capacity to do so.motherhubbard wrote:The manager then decides that to recoup the money he is spending on overtime covering their packets he wants to lapse an extra duty on Monday and Tuesday.
What does the rep do?
It's my world as well. It's better to protect the guilty, than surrender the rights of the innocent. Yes, it is as simple as that for me. I even try to help strike breakers help themselves if they are in the CWU. Many don't, whilst I understand why I don't agree with them.motherhubbard wrote:Now I know in Fishtank's "best of all possible worlds" this can't happen but it is a real life scenario. The only thing I haven't done is fill in the names of the posties.
How does the rep implicate himself, unless he is sat in the van with them. Just because he is defending the "guilty" doesn't make him culpable for their actions.motherhubbard wrote:In your world the union isn't there to police the workforce - so does he argue their case and implicate himself in their charade? Or what?
Only if there was no potential there already. A postie in my office gets more overtime on Tuesday because they cover the lapsed round when the other duties can't complete the lapse and/or their own duties.motherhubbard wrote:The extra lapsing on Monday and Tuesday will take away overtime potential from other posties.
Also, you can't complain on one hand about posties dragging it out and saying it's wrong, then complain when the resultant overtime dries up.
What the foot-draggers are doing is wrong, but you don't make it right by getting the Union to abrogate its members rights. Use peer pressure, in a not bullying way, if possible. If it really needles to you, complain directly to the manager. Use the processes that are in place, ie take action if you want, but don't surrender your rights, by withdrawing them from someone else.