ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

anyone here go to the gym?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: anyone here go to the gym?

Post by fishtank »

I find all that repressed sexual tension a bit much to handle, seriously guys find yourself a partner and do something about it, it's much more fun than a rowing machine.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: anyone here go to the gym?

Post by wannabeek »

Haha, am I right in guessing that you're not more than a decade into a marriage with small children still randomly appearing in the small hours and ending up in your bed ? There are precious few ways to exert some healthy exercise in that situation without complications! A good workout for me makes us all happy and sleeping soundly!
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Re: anyone here go to the gym?

Post by Creditshampoo »

90 minutes? I'd say sort your training out. 45 minutes on 2 muscle groups plus 15 minutes of cardio max for me.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Re: anyone here go to the gym?

Post by Creditshampoo »

And make sure you eat enough! With this job it's far too easy to skip meals being outside a lot.
With all the walking you'll lose alot of weight in the first few weeks so try not to skip the gym, eat correctly and you should only lose fat not muscle.
I average 20km walking a day so that's a fair amount of extra calories needed! Not to mention the extra calories to keep/build muscle and loss fat
inabizzel
Posts: 10
Joined: 19 Jan 2016, 16:30
Gender: Male

Re: anyone here go to the gym?

Post by inabizzel »

Thanks for all the tips guys. I eat around 3000 calories a day to maintain current weight, so I imagine I'm going to be wolfing the food down when I get stuck in. I'll make sure to never skip lunch break and eat snacks during my rounds. I think I may skip leg day for the first few weeks and just train upper body.

90 minutes is my maximum (usually on chest day). It's around an hour on most days.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I've been in the DO for a couple of days but just doing indoor training, I go outside on Tuesday so I'll report back when my legs are falling off. I'm enjoying the job/people so far so want to make this work!
mancpat
Posts: 85
Joined: 09 Feb 2010, 12:36
Gender: Male

Re: anyone here go to the gym?

Post by mancpat »

Your legs will be fine. It's your feet that will be sore.

I actually enjoy getting to the gym in some comfy footwear rather than the crap we wear through the day.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: anyone here go to the gym?

Post by greengiant »

I'm hoping to get back in to Audaxing this year (that's long distance cycling in other words). Managed a single 100km (66 odd mile) audax ride last year, before knee issues. Was hoping to have done a 200km ride, but hopefully once I get my fitness up again this year I'll manage it! :Very Happy
stan_lers
Posts: 136
Joined: 04 Nov 2014, 21:52
Gender: Male

Re: anyone here go to the gym?

Post by stan_lers »

inabizzel wrote:Thanks for all the tips guys. I eat around 3000 calories a day to maintain current weight, so I imagine I'm going to be wolfing the food down when I get stuck in. I'll make sure to never skip lunch break and eat snacks during my rounds. I think I may skip leg day for the first few weeks and just train upper body.
Eating enough is my biggest problem. I'm 6' and 14 stone, and I lose weight on 3000kcal. According to an online calculator I need at least 4000, which is hard when you can only eat small amounts for the whole time you're at work.

Also, legs get less sore the more you work them. I did a programme with squats every day for about 4 months and was never sore after the first few days. If you do get sore (the good kind), the best thing for it is to actually workout again.
johnstonsj
Posts: 6
Joined: 07 Aug 2015, 11:15
Gender: Male

Re: anyone here go to the gym?

Post by johnstonsj »

inabizzel wrote:I train weights for about 1 hour 30 minutes everyday and am worried I will have to stop due to not having enough energy. Are any of you more experience posties gym-goers an if so, how do you have enough energy?

I'm thinking about basically saying no to any overtime to ensure I stick to my contracted hours, but I'm worried they will sack me!
I was very active with training before I started the job 9 months ago. I would train 4-5 times a week with a mixture of weight/circuit training and outdoor running. Needless to say, the job is tiring, especially on a heavy town duty with an average of 5 hours out on delivery. My training suffered for a while, reducing to 2-3 times a week. I also felt the need to comfort eat so my nutrition took a nose dive and I actually gained weight.

Now however, I am putting more of an emphasis on the training again and utilising my work as an additional form of cardio. I aim to train 4/5 time a week again, no more than an hour per session, focusing mostly on weights on the evenings I work and some circuits/running on days off. I am mostly successful at this but I do listen to my body when I am too tired and rest those evenings. Nutrition is key to sustaining high energy levels, as is rest and sleep. A high protein, high complex carb diet is what I would recommend. I eat plenty of eggs, chicken, low fat cheese, wholegrain bread, oats, rice, sweet potato, bananas etc. Eat plenty of fibrous veggies and minimise processed/high sugar foods, they will only serve to make you sluggish except when consumed around training times. Coffee helps too!

Needless to say, an active job combined with an active training regime will require a high calorie diet. I'm 26, 6ft 1, 12 stone 10 and a combined work/training day will require me to eat 3500/4000 calories a day to maintain my weight. It's not difficult to do this in advance without relying on junk if you prepare ahead. I make egg/chicken sandwhichs the night before a work day and pack a few banana, which serves me fine when working.
Last edited by johnstonsj on 26 Jan 2016, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
Lou84
Posts: 162
Joined: 09 May 2012, 21:42
Gender: Female

Re: anyone here go to the gym?

Post by Lou84 »

I swim once or twice a week and try to go to the gym the other days but finding the motivation/energy is really difficulty some days.

Good luck if you manage to keep at it.
Dazsw
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 28
Joined: 17 Feb 2013, 17:36
Gender: Male

Re: anyone here go to the gym?

Post by Dazsw »

steve1812 wrote:Hello to all you gym goers I go to the gym three times a week in the evenings and at 53 find it hard going can I ask what your ages are if that's ok and how to you get over your feet and knee pain .I take strong painkillers when my feet really play me up cheers.
I will soon be 35.

I don't train my legs at the gym anymore, simply due to the strains from work, I used to do powerlifting but have had to stop as doing it along with the job isn't good.

I don't plan on being with RM after October this year, as I want to be able to walk when I'm older....and the way this job is going isn't going to help.
stephen.cal87
Posts: 72
Joined: 19 May 2016, 12:59
Gender: Male

anyone here go to the gym?

Post by stephen.cal87 »

I want to start running 3 times a week but with a delivery upwards of 12 miles a day I fear running 3 times a week in the evenings may be over doing it!? My legs be pretty tired from all the walking, I would say my diet isnt too bad I rarely eat out, bring my own lunches to work to save buying junk from a shop & eat home cooked meals every evening. My metabolism I would say is fast as I tend to eat more small but often meals rather than just breakfast lunch & dinner. Any advice much apreciated.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

anyone here go to the gym?

Post by woopesh »

Don't know where you are based, but you could be doing a lot of cardio. Not good if you want to bulk up. Its not unusual for me to climb up and down 300-500 storeys a day at a jogging pace with a 10kg bag of mail. This completely wipes me out physically.

Before I started this job I was averagely fit. I could run a half marathon in under 2 hours, do a 10k in under an hour, went to the gym three times a week etc. I had to quit the gym after a couple of months as I started to overtrain my body. Now I don't go to the gym at all. Mind you if I got a flat route without stairs, I could probably manage a few sessions.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

anyone here go to the gym?

Post by Creditshampoo »

I go to the gym weight lifting and some high intensity cardio. I also have to eat 3300 calories a day just to stay the same weight! With this job it's tough.
madmax1
Posts: 72
Joined: 01 Sep 2015, 14:39
Gender: Male

anyone here go to the gym?

Post by madmax1 »

.
Last edited by madmax1 on 21 Dec 2016, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.