ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Police probe kidnap threat to councillors

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Police probe kidnap threat to councillors

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/loca ... -1-7137643" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image
The kidnap letter that was intercepted by police before it reached recipients

A kidnap threat against two city councillors caused a police panic just before Christmas Day, the Citizen can reveal.

Letters were sent to councillors Brian White and Sam Crooks with the words ‘please read or you may be kidnapped’ scrawled in red on the envelopes.

Both letters were intercepted by Royal Mail at the sorting office and police were summoned urgently.

“The first I knew of it was when a police officer turned up on my doorstep telling me I was the subject of a kidnap threat,” said Labour’s Brian White, who is a former city MP.

“In all the years I’ve been in politics, nobody’s ever threatened to kidnap me before. It was quite a shock.”

But when police showed Brian the offending envelope, he recognised the handwriting as that of a regular correspondent.

“I knew this man was not a danger at all. His kidnap threat stemmed from silliness rather than maliciousness. It was a prank that went wrong.”

Lib Dem Sam Crooks also recognised the writing and reacted the same way.

Both requested that police take no action against the perpetrator.

Said Mr Crooks: “Everybody has a right to contact their councillor. In this case, I think the kidnap threat stemmed from frustration.”

Both councillors have praised the post office and police for acting so promptly.

The Citizen spoke to the man who wrote the letter – who was mortified that his words prompted such a pandemonium.

His letters were requesting a independent investigation into alleged “corrupt practices” at the council.

“Often councillors don’t listen to me. I put the kidnap thing as a joke and it was stupid of me. I apologise,” he said.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.