ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Christmas tips

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
buntin
Posts: 100
Joined: 27 Jul 2011, 13:55
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by buntin »

pmsl , thats a classic !!!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by Dorset Plodder »

dave72 wrote:Seem to get more tips from the people that look like they need it more, the "richer" end don't even say morning/afternoon or thank you - which I would appreciate more - so no chance of a tip

Do well at the farms though, cuts of beef, eggs, veg and the odd bottle of wine :thumbup
You're right Dave. Never get any decent tips from, "The Big House on the Hill". Always used to get a Fiver from a Blind Old Age pensioner though! :hmmmm
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Anonymouse
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 174
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by Anonymouse »

wacko74 wrote:One of our guys pulled up to the gate of one country home on his rural delivery, the letter box is built into stone gate pillar so he doesn't need to enter the property, hung on the gate was a christmas bag with an expensive bottle of whisky so he took it and gave a cheery wave to the home owner who was stood watching him at the front window... it was only when he got home and looked at the attached card... ''To our wonderful binmen, thank you for doing such a grand job all year!''

Whooops
Haha, that's amazing.

Got my first tip of the season today. A fiver and a box of celebrations :Very Happy
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Re: Christmas tips

Post by peshwaarinaan »

I'm up to £20 so far. The bloke I van share with gets 1.5K at Christmas but he's been on the same round for 20 years.
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by dave72 »

wacko74 wrote:One of our guys pulled up to the gate of one country home on his rural delivery, the letter box is built into stone gate pillar so he doesn't need to enter the property, hung on the gate was a christmas bag with an expensive bottle of whisky so he took it and gave a cheery wave to the home owner who was stood watching him at the front window... it was only when he got home and looked at the attached card... ''To our wonderful binmen, thank you for doing such a grand job all year!''

Whooops
Had something similar a few years ago, woman in her nightgown came out one morning, walked past me up the drive not saying a word (I thought, you could havE taken your mail :arrrghhh ) so I turned around and there she is, giving the binmen £10 each (6 of them) and wishing them a happy Christmas.

I though nice, my turn next? She just trudged past me dragging her empty wheelie bin down the drive, not even saying "morning"

I go to her house everyday and up to her door, the binmen come every 2 weeks and she has to take her bin out and back too yet they got the Christmas tip :crazy:

The world has gone mad :left:
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
Posts: 182
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by CAMPINGBLUNDERER »

dave72 wrote:
wacko74 wrote:One of our guys pulled up to the gate of one country home on his rural delivery, the letter box is built into stone gate pillar so he doesn't need to enter the property, hung on the gate was a christmas bag with an expensive bottle of whisky so he took it and gave a cheery wave to the home owner who was stood watching him at the front window... it was only when he got home and looked at the attached card... ''To our wonderful binmen, thank you for doing such a grand job all year!''

Whooops
Had something similar a few years ago, woman in her nightgown came out one morning, walked past me up the drive not saying a word (I thought, you could havE taken your mail :arrrghhh ) so I turned around and there she is, giving the binmen £10 each (6 of them) and wishing them a happy Christmas.

I though nice, my turn next? She just trudged past me dragging her empty wheelie bin down the drive, not even saying "morning"

I go to her house everyday and up to her door, the binmen come every 2 weeks and she has to take her bin out and back too yet they got the Christmas tip :crazy:

The world has gone mad :left:
Difference is you bring her s**t , they take it away... :Very Happy
RedBagMan
Posts: 1010
Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male
Location: Behind the lens

Re: Christmas tips

Post by RedBagMan »

peshwaarinaan wrote:I'm up to £20 so far. The bloke I van share with gets 1.5K at Christmas but he's been on the same round for 20 years.
Should have done what I do - barter with with your partner for going 50/50 on everything.
(Only prob is at the mo I've raised £52 and he's raised £15 ... but hey ho - Socialism at work !!)
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
dtyssmshdchrb
Posts: 51
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 14:55
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by dtyssmshdchrb »

I'm at £30 from 3 customers, one very generous £20 tip! A fiver from an OAP who takes in tonnes of everyones parcels and barely gets any mail himself, never a sausage from the people who actually get the tonnes of parcels! Always the same. :neutral:

Imagine if every address on your walk chipped in just £1 to say thank you! We'd all have a great wee christmas bonus of at least a few hundred quid. Baffles me how other service staff like waiters get tips from almost every customer without a second thought.
steveoooo1
Posts: 58
Joined: 11 Aug 2015, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by steveoooo1 »

Baffles me how other service staff like waiters get tips from almost every customer without a second thought.[/quote]

Because People know waiters and such get dreadful pay for their job. Posties get a decent wage tbh.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by Postie45 »

dtyssmshdchrb wrote: never a sausage from the people who actually get the tonnes of parcels! Always the same. :neutral:
this is so true ! none of the regular parcel people seem to tip, maybe it goes with their cheapo nature of buying everything online !
buntin
Posts: 100
Joined: 27 Jul 2011, 13:55
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by buntin »

good day today 175. total now 525.
30+YEARMAN
Posts: 253
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:46
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by 30+YEARMAN »

dave72 wrote:
wacko74 wrote:One of our guys pulled up to the gate of one country home on his rural delivery, the letter box is built into stone gate pillar so he doesn't need to enter the property, hung on the gate was a christmas bag with an expensive bottle of whisky so he took it and gave a cheery wave to the home owner who was stood watching him at the front window... it was only when he got home and looked at the attached card... ''To our wonderful binmen, thank you for doing such a grand job all year!''

Whooops
Had something similar a few years ago, woman in her nightgown came out one morning, walked past me up the drive not saying a word (I thought, you could havE taken your mail :arrrghhh ) so I turned around and there she is, giving the binmen £10 each (6 of them) and wishing them a happy Christmas.

I though nice, my turn next? She just trudged past me dragging her empty wheelie bin down the drive, not even saying "morning"

I go to her house everyday and up to her door, the binmen come every 2 weeks and she has to take her bin out and back too yet they got the Christmas tip :crazy:

The world has gone mad :left:
It just goes to prove what a thankless job this is and sh.. like that take us for granted. :evil/mad
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by Sir Henry »

When I first started and RM did wild and crazy things like keeping you on a walk until you got used to the work, I did quite well one Xmas. Then the next Xmas when I was a cover I got three quid from an old dear who was too embarrassed to put her money back in her pocket when she realised I wasn't her regular postie. Since then I've been on the same total of SFA for the last 7 Xmases.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by Newbie001 »

Used to wonder why a postie would give up a 'lucrative' duty to go and do packets or work at a mail centre. One can of drink later, doesn't take a genius to work out. All I've had is dogs abuse for not closing wet rusted metal gates properly or getting their mail wet. And threats of assault for posting D2Ds. What a lot of tight miserable sods on my duty.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Christmas tips

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Not bad so far, three bottles of whisky, several of wine and some today giving double previous years, £10 instead of £5 and £20s instead of £10s :nana
but I don't cut off on busy days, leave gates open or doorstep parcels. :thumbup