ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Christmas tips

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
deristrong
Posts: 195
Joined: 15 Nov 2013, 09:28
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by deristrong »

Hitcher wrote:
deristrong wrote:There's a rural walk down here where the average is £3.5 k and, guess what, the postie works all his days off and, never, ever, goes sick in December!
£3500! Bollocks.
True, it was £3500 worth of stuff (not all cash).
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:Christmas tips are very emotive subject. Personally I don't work for Tips, and I don't worry about kissing any customer's arse all year...just to make sure I get a tip.
I give all the customers the same level of service. The one I'm paid to give them. If someone Tips me great. :cuppa
Me thinks you doth protest too much :nana
Could be a bit of Sour Grapes BF. Doesn't do much for Office Morale when you've got some Gobshites bragging about how much they made in tips. And as mentioned by Barbels, some don't think about giving the cover anything. Here's a thought.....anyone ever though of giving their PHG (Locker Man) a cut? Some may be assholes but ours is a really good guy and I always give him something from any cash I might receive.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Christmas tips

Post by arnold cheshire »

I'm up to 2k so far
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Christmas tips

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

arnold cheshire wrote:I'm up to 2k so far
2k - cocaine, special K, potatoes ????
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Christmas tips

Post by arnold cheshire »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
arnold cheshire wrote:I'm up to 2k so far
2k - cocaine, special K, potatoes ????
Money
steveoooo1
Posts: 58
Joined: 11 Aug 2015, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by steveoooo1 »

So far nothing...and probably won't as our d/o has no regular posties on the rounds.well apart from the rurals.
comeracing
Posts: 806
Joined: 28 Nov 2010, 20:58
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by comeracing »

I got a cracking tip the other day its running at Kempton park on boxing day :thumbup
Spedley
Posts: 1209
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
Location: Warwickshire

Re: Christmas tips

Post by Spedley »

I'd be very happy with £1 per address but unfortunately it averages at more like 10p. One year I bought a tin of quality street and put tinsel around it and a note saying "Happy Christmas from your postie" and got £160 from there in tips! I was only saying thanks because it was one of my bag drops and people often buzzed me in.
uncleboldy
Posts: 4
Joined: 11 May 2010, 16:22
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by uncleboldy »

I got £50 one Christmas from a woman who thanked me for hiding her handbag in her porch after she left it on her drive and drove off to work. Funny thing was ,it wasn't me who did it. It was my floater. Still i gave him half ... :wink:
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by wacko74 »

I'm calling total BS on those claiming to get £3.5k and £2k, although why they feel the need to make these tales up is another matter.

3 rurals in our office all deliver to very wealthy country houses and farms, all been on the same duty for years so are well known and loved by the customers, yet they still only (only!) get £300-£500.
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by dave72 »

Seem to get more tips from the people that look like they need it more, the "richer" end don't even say morning/afternoon or thank you - which I would appreciate more - so no chance of a tip

Do well at the farms though, cuts of beef, eggs, veg and the odd bottle of wine :thumbup
Hitcher
Posts: 1535
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by Hitcher »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
arnold cheshire wrote:I'm up to 2k so far
2k - cocaine, special K, potatoes ????
Typo, he meant 2p.
steveoooo1
Posts: 58
Joined: 11 Aug 2015, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by steveoooo1 »

2-3.5k tax man is rubbing his hands together lol
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Christmas tips

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Of course everyone on here who is publicly stating that they have received large amounts of money in tips is well aware that the government should receive 20% through Tax (but no NI). Of course they won't deny it if HRMC are able to tie a boast down to a particular employee. No one is that daft are they ? https://www.gov.uk/tips-at-work/tips-and-tax" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not forgetting RMs own policies: https://www.myroyalmail.com/news/nation ... ribery-act" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's the season of goodwill.

But it's important to be careful about accepting gifts so you don't fall foul of the Bribery Act.

Christmas tips are allowed. But they should never be accepted in return for favours, for example, earlier delivery, enhanced collection etc.

Other guidelines
Bribes must never be offered or given – nor requested or accepted. A bribe is not just about money, it could be any gift, hospitality or favour
Gifts may only be given or accepted up to a value of £30; any gifts over £30 must be politely declined
Hospitality may only be given or accepted where there is a business reason. Limits apply:
o Hospitality less than £25 per head in the course of business meetings is allowed and does not require pre-approval or registration

o Hospitality greater than £25 per head requires line manager pre-approval and must be recorded in the Gifts and Hospitality register

o Hospitality greater than £100 per head also requires a functional director's pre-approval and must be recorded in the Gifts and Hospitality register.

Penalties
The penalties under the Bribery Act are severe:
Individuals could face unlimited fines and imprisonment for up to 10 years
Companies face loss of reputation, unlimited fines and could be barred from participating in public procurement contracts.
If you have any queries please contact your.news@royalmail.com
:whistle :shhhhh :speak to the hand :cuppa :cuppa :nervous
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas tips

Post by wacko74 »

One of our guys pulled up to the gate of one country home on his rural delivery, the letter box is built into stone gate pillar so he doesn't need to enter the property, hung on the gate was a christmas bag with an expensive bottle of whisky so he took it and gave a cheery wave to the home owner who was stood watching him at the front window... it was only when he got home and looked at the attached card... ''To our wonderful binmen, thank you for doing such a grand job all year!''

Whooops