I've never been against a working man trying to improve his lot and pay his bills, but I'm sure some of the Posties in my Office must owe money to a Drugs Dealer judging by the amount of overtime they do!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
My dilemma
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: My dilemma
if any p/t staff decide to stop coming in early some f/t start even earlier, 2-4 hours extra most mornings[/quote
It never ceases to amaze me how much overtime some Posties want to hoover up. I agree that it would be more ethical to make PTers up, instead of handing out loads of overtime to those who are already on FT hours! 
I've never been against a working man trying to improve his lot and pay his bills, but I'm sure some of the Posties in my Office must owe money to a Drugs Dealer judging by the amount of overtime they do!
I've never been against a working man trying to improve his lot and pay his bills, but I'm sure some of the Posties in my Office must owe money to a Drugs Dealer judging by the amount of overtime they do!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
world class male
- Posts: 906
- Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
- Gender: Male
Re: My dilemma
yes, that's my view too, they all know more would get made up to f/t but nothing can stop them, but quite a few p/t are guilty too, I only do it at xmas and when my holiday is due for the extra income.Dorset Plodder wrote:if any p/t staff decide to stop coming in early some f/t start even earlier, 2-4 hours extra most mornings[/quote
It never ceases to amaze me how much overtime some Posties want to hoover up. I agree that it would be more ethical to make PTers up, instead of handing out loads of overtime to those who are already on FT hours!
I've never been against a working man trying to improve his lot and pay his bills, but I'm sure some of the Posties in my Office must owe money to a Drugs Dealer judging by the amount of overtime they do!
RM are happier because I guess the meagre overtime rate they pay beats making us up to f/t and paying full holiday pay, and not 100% sure but on pension contributions too.
you would think the CWU would want more f/t to increase their subs?
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: My dilemma
You're right about the crappy Overtime rate. If RM had to pay time & a half I bet they'd start recruiting more Full Time pretty sharpish! Talking to our DOM about us being short staffed he said exactly that. RM don't want to pay the extra Holiday or Sickness pay.
The Pension payments aren't effected by being Part Time. If you work more hours (as a PTer) your pension payments are increased. Check payslips if you're worried, you'll see the Pension Payments increase with the Hours worked.
The Pension payments aren't effected by being Part Time. If you work more hours (as a PTer) your pension payments are increased. Check payslips if you're worried, you'll see the Pension Payments increase with the Hours worked.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
geordieboy123
- Posts: 384
- Joined: 06 Nov 2014, 17:35
- Gender: Female
Re: My dilemma
No I don't do internal overtime my contractual hours start at 07.15 like the full timers, I certainly don't want full time hours I'm happy as I am.world class male wrote:geordieboy123 wrote:I'm on a 35 hr contract and my colleagues are 39 hours I used to start 45 mins later but I asked if I could start at the same time as the others and the Dom said yes as there is work to be doing. Most of the full timers are still out before me and some finish before me too, I feel quite lucky working where I do as when I read some of the horror stories on here I wonder if I'm working for the same company.world class male wrote:I'm puzzled by your hours?
I always thought that part timers started 1 hour later assuming its on a 39/34 pattern though we have some 20 odd hour staff.
if I start at the same time as f/t then I spend an hour-ish sorting or prepping other duties
if you are actually due in to start at the same time then you'll finish 1 hour earlier than the full timers, are you paired up with someone?
can see the only gripe is that everyone else finishes 1 hour early and you to time
what are your contracted hours and your colleagues?
so you do internal overtime before your shift should start then, you should be doing other stuff then if you're booking it, we have quite a few booking 1 or 2 hours prep time on their duties!
if it bothers you that much, go in on time, or ask if you can be made up to f/t, they're supposed to after 6 months![]()
then you'll benefit from holiday pay and other pro rata supplements.
how big is the d/o?
our area code has 24 walks 10 are f/t and 12 p/t and 2 either lapsed or done by p/t and most if not all covers & reserves are f/t
most always start early and no chance what so ever of been made up to f/t, that was said by our area rep,
if any p/t staff decide to stop coming in early some f/t start even earlier, 2-4 hours extra most mornings
The delivery office only has 10 walks ,with 9 full timers and me.
-
wozutd
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 04 Jan 2022, 21:44
- Gender: Male
Re: My dilemma
I've just found out thro HR that my contract is Monday to Friday 31.5 hours and every weekend off,,yet I've not been informed of this and have been having a day off in the week,,,,is this correct or can I work Monday to Friday as stated in my contract?
-
POSTPERSON50
- Posts: 511
- Joined: 21 Oct 2021, 11:09
- Gender: Female
Re: My dilemma
It's not the tasks that make you part time, it's the amount of time. Whatever they ask you to do, just make sure you're not arriving to work too early and giving them work for free.geordieboy123 wrote: ↑07 Dec 2015, 19:02I've just moved to a small office and I am the only part timer there, my dilemma is that I'm expected to muck in with sorting and unloading the vans on each of the three waves but as a principled trade unionist why should I do the same amount of work as a full timer but get forty odd quid less. I start at the same time as the others as there is work to do when I get there ie collating d2d's, would I be right in the new year to say all I'm doing is prep and deliver?
-
scoobymunster
- Posts: 346
- Joined: 30 Mar 2011, 00:39
- Gender: Male
Re: My dilemma
Ask HR for a copy of your contract. Once you have it in writing in your hand that it is Mon-Fri then you can dig your heels in and have every weekend off.
-
sorefeet17
- Posts: 299
- Joined: 11 May 2015, 17:10
- Gender: Male
Re: My dilemma
I do a similar role as you Geordieboy, I don't go anywhere near the IPS however busy it is, the full-timers moan that everybody should be sorting but stuff them they seem to forget that they get 25% more pay than me!
On my route I prep my d2d's and my letters & packets, then deliver, I agree don't give your time for free because it will be expected of you to do it all the time for nothing and it will also be taking hours out of the office.
On my route I prep my d2d's and my letters & packets, then deliver, I agree don't give your time for free because it will be expected of you to do it all the time for nothing and it will also be taking hours out of the office.
-
tractorboy2
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 545
- Joined: 18 Jan 2012, 11:03
- Gender: Male
Re: My dilemma
Why are the FT in your office doing 39 hours and not 37 ?geordieboy123 wrote: ↑13 Dec 2015, 13:43No I don't do internal overtime my contractual hours start at 07.15 like the full timers, I certainly don't want full time hours I'm happy as I am.world class male wrote:geordieboy123 wrote:I'm on a 35 hr contract and my colleagues are 39 hours I used to start 45 mins later but I asked if I could start at the same time as the others and the Dom said yes as there is work to be doing. Most of the full timers are still out before me and some finish before me too, I feel quite lucky working where I do as when I read some of the horror stories on here I wonder if I'm working for the same company.world class male wrote:I'm puzzled by your hours?
I always thought that part timers started 1 hour later assuming its on a 39/34 pattern though we have some 20 odd hour staff.
if I start at the same time as f/t then I spend an hour-ish sorting or prepping other duties
if you are actually due in to start at the same time then you'll finish 1 hour earlier than the full timers, are you paired up with someone?
can see the only gripe is that everyone else finishes 1 hour early and you to time
what are your contracted hours and your colleagues?
so you do internal overtime before your shift should start then, you should be doing other stuff then if you're booking it, we have quite a few booking 1 or 2 hours prep time on their duties!
if it bothers you that much, go in on time, or ask if you can be made up to f/t, they're supposed to after 6 months![]()
then you'll benefit from holiday pay and other pro rata supplements.
how big is the d/o?
our area code has 24 walks 10 are f/t and 12 p/t and 2 either lapsed or done by p/t and most if not all covers & reserves are f/t
most always start early and no chance what so ever of been made up to f/t, that was said by our area rep,
if any p/t staff decide to stop coming in early some f/t start even earlier, 2-4 hours extra most mornings
The delivery office only has 10 walks ,with 9 full timers and me.
And isn't 35 hours the new FT contract ( Even though the hours are supposed to be reduced to that , and now appear dead in the water despite it being part of the last pay deal agreement)
-
Schiff
- Posts: 544
- Joined: 01 Nov 2016, 22:02
- Gender: Male
Re: My dilemma
Maybe because you are replying to a post from 2015.tractorboy2 wrote: ↑18 Jun 2022, 10:23Why are the FT in your office doing 39 hours and not 37 ?geordieboy123 wrote: ↑13 Dec 2015, 13:43No I don't do internal overtime my contractual hours start at 07.15 like the full timers, I certainly don't want full time hours I'm happy as I am.world class male wrote:geordieboy123 wrote:I'm on a 35 hr contract and my colleagues are 39 hours I used to start 45 mins later but I asked if I could start at the same time as the others and the Dom said yes as there is work to be doing. Most of the full timers are still out before me and some finish before me too, I feel quite lucky working where I do as when I read some of the horror stories on here I wonder if I'm working for the same company.world class male wrote:I'm puzzled by your hours?
I always thought that part timers started 1 hour later assuming its on a 39/34 pattern though we have some 20 odd hour staff.
if I start at the same time as f/t then I spend an hour-ish sorting or prepping other duties
if you are actually due in to start at the same time then you'll finish 1 hour earlier than the full timers, are you paired up with someone?
can see the only gripe is that everyone else finishes 1 hour early and you to time
what are your contracted hours and your colleagues?
so you do internal overtime before your shift should start then, you should be doing other stuff then if you're booking it, we have quite a few booking 1 or 2 hours prep time on their duties!
if it bothers you that much, go in on time, or ask if you can be made up to f/t, they're supposed to after 6 months![]()
then you'll benefit from holiday pay and other pro rata supplements.
how big is the d/o?
our area code has 24 walks 10 are f/t and 12 p/t and 2 either lapsed or done by p/t and most if not all covers & reserves are f/t
most always start early and no chance what so ever of been made up to f/t, that was said by our area rep,
if any p/t staff decide to stop coming in early some f/t start even earlier, 2-4 hours extra most mornings
The delivery office only has 10 walks ,with 9 full timers and me.
-
POSTPERSON50
- Posts: 511
- Joined: 21 Oct 2021, 11:09
- Gender: Female
Re: My dilemma
Schiff wrote: ↑18 Jun 2022, 14:45Maybe because you are replying to a post from 2015.tractorboy2 wrote: ↑18 Jun 2022, 10:23Why are the FT in your office doing 39 hours and not 37 ?geordieboy123 wrote: ↑13 Dec 2015, 13:43No I don't do internal overtime my contractual hours start at 07.15 like the full timers, I certainly don't want full time hours I'm happy as I am.world class male wrote:geordieboy123 wrote:I'm on a 35 hr contract and my colleagues are 39 hours I used to start 45 mins later but I asked if I could start at the same time as the others and the Dom said yes as there is work to be doing. Most of the full timers are still out before me and some finish before me too, I feel quite lucky working where I do as when I read some of the horror stories on here I wonder if I'm working for the same company.world class male wrote:I'm puzzled by your hours?
I always thought that part timers started 1 hour later assuming its on a 39/34 pattern though we have some 20 odd hour staff.
if I start at the same time as f/t then I spend an hour-ish sorting or prepping other duties
if you are actually due in to start at the same time then you'll finish 1 hour earlier than the full timers, are you paired up with someone?
can see the only gripe is that everyone else finishes 1 hour early and you to time
what are your contracted hours and your colleagues?
so you do internal overtime before your shift should start then, you should be doing other stuff then if you're booking it, we have quite a few booking 1 or 2 hours prep time on their duties!
if it bothers you that much, go in on time, or ask if you can be made up to f/t, they're supposed to after 6 months![]()
then you'll benefit from holiday pay and other pro rata supplements.
how big is the d/o?
our area code has 24 walks 10 are f/t and 12 p/t and 2 either lapsed or done by p/t and most if not all covers & reserves are f/t
most always start early and no chance what so ever of been made up to f/t, that was said by our area rep,
if any p/t staff decide to stop coming in early some f/t start even earlier, 2-4 hours extra most mornings
The delivery office only has 10 walks ,with 9 full timers and me.
-
kazardaimenu
- Posts: 1391
- Joined: 13 Apr 2022, 19:11
- Gender: Male
Re: My dilemma
Book as much overtime as you feel you deserve. They can't expect you to work without pay.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: My dilemma
Well spotted Schiff
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)