I will assume you are being facetious with your comment which has pissed me off to be honest so let me explain where I'm coming from, there has been a culture in this company of cutting hours where ever they can and before the 2014 agreement colleagues in my area were called in and told they were having there hours cut. As a trade unionist I don't understand why part timers who in my area just do prep and deliver do more for there manager is unloading vans and sorting working alongside full timers doing the same amount of work for less pay. So it's not as your cheap and offensive remark suggests me not wanting to assist my workmates who I get on with very well it's just that I don't give the employer my labour for nothing but maybe you would.dave72 wrote:You sound nice to work withgeordieboy123 wrote:I've just moved to a small office and I am the only part timer there, my dilemma is that I'm expected to muck in with sorting and unloading the vans on each of the three waves but as a principled trade unionist why should I do the same amount of work as a full timer but get forty odd quid less. I start at the same time as the others as there is work to do when I get there ie collating d2d's, would I be right in the new year to say all I'm doing is prep and deliver?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
My dilemma
-
geordieboy123
- Posts: 384
- Joined: 06 Nov 2014, 17:35
- Gender: Female
Re: My dilemma
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: My dilemma
But if you're only working the hours you are paid you are not working for nothing?geordieboy123 wrote:I will assume you are being facetious with your comment which has pissed me off to be honest so let me explain where I'm coming from, there has been a culture in this company of cutting hours where ever they can and before the 2014 agreement colleagues in my area were called in and told they were having there hours cut. As a trade unionist I don't understand why part timers who in my area just do prep and deliver do more for there manager is unloading vans and sorting working alongside full timers doing the same amount of work for less pay. So it's not as your cheap and offensive remark suggests me not wanting to assist my workmates who I get on with very well it's just that I don't give the employer my labour for nothing but maybe you would.dave72 wrote:You sound nice to work withgeordieboy123 wrote:I've just moved to a small office and I am the only part timer there, my dilemma is that I'm expected to muck in with sorting and unloading the vans on each of the three waves but as a principled trade unionist why should I do the same amount of work as a full timer but get forty odd quid less. I start at the same time as the others as there is work to do when I get there ie collating d2d's, would I be right in the new year to say all I'm doing is prep and deliver?
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
bogstandard
- Posts: 1074
- Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16
Re: My dilemma
no you wouldn't be right.geordieboy123 wrote:I've just moved to a small office and I am the only part timer there, my dilemma is that I'm expected to muck in with sorting and unloading the vans on each of the three waves but as a principled trade unionist why should I do the same amount of work as a full timer but get forty odd quid less. I start at the same time as the others as there is work to do when I get there ie collating d2d's, would I be right in the new year to say all I'm doing is prep and deliver?
as you are a PT there will be a shortfall somewhere in your hours, you start at the start time and finish at the finish time. How RM occupy that time is up to them not you.
Based on the information you have given it seems as though you are able and available to "muck in", therefore the shortfall is in delivery time or will eventually flow into your delivery.
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
-
Brainache
- Posts: 394
- Joined: 30 Jul 2010, 21:37
- Gender: Male
Re: My dilemma
If your having trouble finishing on time, explain to your manager the problem and suggest starting later- 15-30 minutes. The other bods will be ahead of you on the prep and can do the unloading themselves. If your finishing on time though, theres not much to moan about.
The F/Ters will be looking at things from their job (7,8 hours ) so you need to stick to your guns and change things to suit you (it worked for me and the fulltimers have to put up with it)
.
The F/Ters will be looking at things from their job (7,8 hours ) so you need to stick to your guns and change things to suit you (it worked for me and the fulltimers have to put up with it)
-
dave72
- Posts: 415
- Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
- Gender: Male
Re: My dilemma
You're not giving it for nothing, you're get paid for your hoursgeordieboy123 wrote:I will assume you are being facetious with your comment which has pissed me off to be honest so let me explain where I'm coming from, there has been a culture in this company of cutting hours where ever they can and before the 2014 agreement colleagues in my area were called in and told they were having there hours cut. As a trade unionist I don't understand why part timers who in my area just do prep and deliver do more for there manager is unloading vans and sorting working alongside full timers doing the same amount of work for less pay. So it's not as your cheap and offensive remark suggests me not wanting to assist my workmates who I get on with very well it's just that I don't give the employer my labour for nothing but maybe you would.dave72 wrote:You sound nice to work withgeordieboy123 wrote:I've just moved to a small office and I am the only part timer there, my dilemma is that I'm expected to muck in with sorting and unloading the vans on each of the three waves but as a principled trade unionist why should I do the same amount of work as a full timer but get forty odd quid less. I start at the same time as the others as there is work to do when I get there ie collating d2d's, would I be right in the new year to say all I'm doing is prep and deliver?
You start at the same time as the others, but you don't want to help with sorting or unloading the van? What do you do? Sit there and watch them sort and empty the van? What are you getting paid for?
-
geordieboy123
- Posts: 384
- Joined: 06 Nov 2014, 17:35
- Gender: Female
Re: My dilemma
I work on a job and finish arrangement and it is well established even by my DOM that part timers just prep and deliver so by doing other non contractual work means I'm giving my labour for nothing,can you grasp that?dave72 wrote:geordieboy123 wrote:I will assume you are being facetious with your comment which has pissed me off to be honest so let me explain where I'm coming from, there has been a culture in this company of cutting hours where ever they can and before the 2014 agreement colleagues in my area were called in and told they were having there hours cut. As a trade unionist I don't understand why part timers who in my area just do prep and deliver do more for there manager is unloading vans and sorting working alongside full timers doing the same amount of work for less pay. So it's not as your cheap and offensive remark suggests me not wanting to assist my workmates who I get on with very well it's just that I don't give the employer my labour for nothing but maybe you would.[/quotedave72 wrote:You sound nice to work withgeordieboy123 wrote:I've just moved to a small office and I am the only part timer there, my dilemma is that I'm expected to muck in with sorting and unloading the vans on each of the three waves but as a principled trade unionist why should I do the same amount of work as a full timer but get forty odd quid less. I start at the same time as the others as there is work to do when I get there ie collating d2d's, would I be right in the new year to say all I'm doing is prep and deliver?
You're not giving it for nothing, you're get paid for your hours
You start at the same time as the others, but you don't want to help with sorting or unloading the van? What do you do? Sit there and watch them sort and empty the van? What are you getting paid for?
-
paulf0203
- Posts: 121
- Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 09:58
- Gender: Male
Re: My dilemma
Well said geordieboy its refreshing to know that there are still some principled people in our ranks.
-
t3mcIUQWE2
- Posts: 137
- Joined: 24 Oct 2015, 17:04
- Gender: Male
Re: My dilemma
No one works on job and knock.geordieboy123 wrote:I work on a job and finish arrangement and it is well established even by my DOM that part timers just prep and deliver so by doing other non contractual work means I'm giving my labour for nothing,can you grasp that?
Within reason, you are contracted to do whatever you're told to do.
Can you grasp that?
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: My dilemma
Job and knock!!!!!
Sorry I think you must have warped in from 2010 it doesn't exist any more but I guess if you have just found out you can count yourself lucky as the rest of us lost it years ago!
Sorry I think you must have warped in from 2010 it doesn't exist any more but I guess if you have just found out you can count yourself lucky as the rest of us lost it years ago!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
geordieboy123
- Posts: 384
- Joined: 06 Nov 2014, 17:35
- Gender: Female
Re: My dilemma
Your talking rubbish mate we work on a job and finish arrangement and sure on the odd occasion we are asked to do a bit more if someone goes sick etc but it's not that often, maybe your not as organised and strong like us and you do whatever you're told.t3mcIUQWE2 wrote:No one works on job and knock.geordieboy123 wrote:I work on a job and finish arrangement and it is well established even by my DOM that part timers just prep and deliver so by doing other non contractual work means I'm giving my labour for nothing,can you grasp that?
Within reason, you are contracted to do whatever you're told to do.
Can you grasp that?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72754
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: My dilemma
So you are working outside agreements. Fine nothing wrong with that, well, not until you insist on working to your 318, then I am sure the managers will honour Job and Knock and not enforce "Working all Paid Hours" or "as directed".
I am saying this not in an attempt to belittle your problem, just pointing out that you may have more to lose than being expected to do what you think of as extra work when still in your paid hours. I would play it very, very carefully.
I am saying this not in an attempt to belittle your problem, just pointing out that you may have more to lose than being expected to do what you think of as extra work when still in your paid hours. I would play it very, very carefully.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
geordieboy123
- Posts: 384
- Joined: 06 Nov 2014, 17:35
- Gender: Female
Re: My dilemma
Thanks mate at least you were not insultingTrueBlueTerrier wrote:So you are working outside agreements. Fine nothing wrong with that, well, not until you insist on working to your 318, then I am sure the managers will honour Job and Knock and not enforce "Working all Paid Hours" or "as directed".
I am saying this not in an attempt to belittle your problem, just pointing out that you may have more to lose than being expected to do what you think of as extra work when still in your paid hours. I would play it very, very carefully.
-
dave72
- Posts: 415
- Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
- Gender: Male
Re: My dilemma
Job and finishgeordieboy123 wrote:I work on a job and finish arrangement and it is well established even by my DOM that part timers just prep and deliver so by doing other non contractual work means I'm giving my labour for nothing,can you grasp that?dave72 wrote:geordieboy123 wrote:I will assume you are being facetious with your comment which has pissed me off to be honest so let me explain where I'm coming from, there has been a culture in this company of cutting hours where ever they can and before the 2014 agreement colleagues in my area were called in and told they were having there hours cut. As a trade unionist I don't understand why part timers who in my area just do prep and deliver do more for there manager is unloading vans and sorting working alongside full timers doing the same amount of work for less pay. So it's not as your cheap and offensive remark suggests me not wanting to assist my workmates who I get on with very well it's just that I don't give the employer my labour for nothing but maybe you would.[/quotedave72 wrote:You sound nice to work withgeordieboy123 wrote:I've just moved to a small office and I am the only part timer there, my dilemma is that I'm expected to muck in with sorting and unloading the vans on each of the three waves but as a principled trade unionist why should I do the same amount of work as a full timer but get forty odd quid less. I start at the same time as the others as there is work to do when I get there ie collating d2d's, would I be right in the new year to say all I'm doing is prep and deliver?
You're not giving it for nothing, you're get paid for your hours
You start at the same time as the others, but you don't want to help with sorting or unloading the van? What do you do? Sit there and watch them sort and empty the van? What are you getting paid for?
Yes p/t prep and deliver, but they start later when the mail is sorted and unloaded, and then thrown in for them. So, my question is what do you do while your colleagues unload the van and sort mail seeing as you start at the same time as the f/ters?
Frankly, I'm glad you don't work in our office
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: My dilemma
"maybe your not as organised and strong like us and you do whatever you're told"
Or maybe they are just less self absorbed and don't mind helping their mates out?
Or maybe they are just less self absorbed and don't mind helping their mates out?
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
t3mcIUQWE2
- Posts: 137
- Joined: 24 Oct 2015, 17:04
- Gender: Male
Re: My dilemma
One of the strongest offices in the country. Just intelligent enough to choose the right fight.Judgee wrote:"maybe your not as organised and strong like us and you do whatever you're told"
Or maybe they are just less self absorbed and don't mind helping their mates out?