ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
How many miles is your walk?
-
Dazsw
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 28
- Joined: 17 Feb 2013, 17:36
- Gender: Male
Re: How many miles is your walk?
Usually between 12 and 13 miles per day, more if and when starbursting.
It's a shame the footweear is mostly rubbish, something is sore just about every week these days.
It's a shame the footweear is mostly rubbish, something is sore just about every week these days.
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Re: How many miles is your walk?
Usually my head from reading these nonsense threads.Dazsw wrote: something is sore just about every week these days.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
camelelf
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Re: How many miles is your walk?
Are you sure it's not from your obsession with this thread?motherhubbard wrote:Usually my head from reading these nonsense threads.Dazsw wrote: something is sore just about every week these days.
Last edited by camelelf on 08 Dec 2015, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: How many miles is your walk?
Agreed. Someone who is unhappy to hear comments from people discussing such a topic should stop clicking on a thread that's titled 'how many miles...', (and then also stop going back to it again once they have decided they have no interest in it). It would relieve their stress about the situation considerably.
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Re: How many miles is your walk?
The "obsession" is not with the thread per se, it is about unquestioned stupidity.wannabeek wrote:Agreed. Someone who is unhappy to hear comments from people discussing such a topic should stop clicking on a thread that's titled 'how many miles...', (and then also stop going back to it again once they have decided they have no interest in it). It would relieve their stress about the situation considerably.
To walk 13 miles out on delivery you would have to be walking for about 7 hours.
My "obsession" is more about "your" blind acceptance of your technology (pedometers, GPS etc) when clearly they are not fit for purpose.
I once suggested one of you boys take your little toys to a running track and see how long it actually takes you to walk 13 miles or whatever and what the output is on your little bit of kit. Maybe then you would understand how stupid some of the assertions are on these threads, just like the poster who claimed he could walk the mile to the start of his delivery in 8 minutes.
Do we blindly accept such gross inaccuracy?
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: How many miles is your walk?
So you believe that my machine only tracks my movements during the working day? I also walk/hike/run at weekends and days off. Fot pleasure tho, not plodding round a track just to prove a point. The stats do tally up. Believe what you like tho, there's no point in discussing with someone who's mind is already made up.
-
Dazsw
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 28
- Joined: 17 Feb 2013, 17:36
- Gender: Male
Re: How many miles is your walk?
Bullshit, I can quite easily walk at 4.5mph if I feel the need to, but usually average about 4mph.motherhubbard wrote:The "obsession" is not with the thread per se, it is about unquestioned stupidity.wannabeek wrote:Agreed. Someone who is unhappy to hear comments from people discussing such a topic should stop clicking on a thread that's titled 'how many miles...', (and then also stop going back to it again once they have decided they have no interest in it). It would relieve their stress about the situation considerably.
To walk 13 miles out on delivery you would have to be walking for about 7 hours.
My "obsession" is more about "your" blind acceptance of your technology (pedometers, GPS etc) when clearly they are not fit for purpose.
I once suggested one of you boys take your little toys to a running track and see how long it actually takes you to walk 13 miles or whatever and what the output is on your little bit of kit. Maybe then you would understand how stupid some of the assertions are on these threads, just like the poster who claimed he could walk the mile to the start of his delivery in 8 minutes.
Do we blindly accept such gross inaccuracy?
Jump on a treadmill and it's easy to walk at that speed of 4mph.
To walk 13 miles in around 7 hours you would have to be crawling, that's just slightly slower than 2mph, if that is how fast you walk, you sir have a problem.
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Re: How many miles is your walk?
We are talking about on delivery.Dazsw wrote:
Bullshit, I can quite easily walk at 4.5mph if I feel the need to, but usually average about 4mph.
Jump on a treadmill and it's easy to walk at that speed of 4mph.
To walk 13 miles in around 7 hours you would have to be crawling, that's just slightly slower than 2mph, if that is how fast you walk, you sir have a problem.
I can still, in my fifties, run a sub 7 minute mile.
I don't walk at 4mph when I am on delivery. Nobody does. I stop at doors. I stop and wait for people to answer the door. I wait while they sign for their packets. I stop to get the next bundle out. I stop at traffic lights. I stop to put on/take off my raincoat. I slow down going up inclines. I slow down behind people with buggies etc.
Anyone who thinks they are doing 4mph on delivery is deluding themselves. Maybe they need an app to tell them.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: How many miles is your walk?
Agreed 4mph on delivery is a bonkers claim.
However I don't see why you say that it is 'unquestioning stupidity' of me to believe the stats which I have posted. It said my daily average was 11.6 miles. Take off a couple of miles or so for non-delivery activity and that means a 4.5hr walking day doing about 9.5 miles. Works out at 2.1mph, which I think any fit adult would find a comfortable, non-hurried pace on delivery.
The day it clocked me at doing over 19 miles I did 2 rounds that day and I was out on delivery from 9:20am to 6:20 pm - that's 8hrs of walking (there's an hour of meal relief). At 2.1mph, which I believe is a realistic pace, that's nearly 17 miles on delivery. I think these are stats which can be believed.
However I don't see why you say that it is 'unquestioning stupidity' of me to believe the stats which I have posted. It said my daily average was 11.6 miles. Take off a couple of miles or so for non-delivery activity and that means a 4.5hr walking day doing about 9.5 miles. Works out at 2.1mph, which I think any fit adult would find a comfortable, non-hurried pace on delivery.
The day it clocked me at doing over 19 miles I did 2 rounds that day and I was out on delivery from 9:20am to 6:20 pm - that's 8hrs of walking (there's an hour of meal relief). At 2.1mph, which I believe is a realistic pace, that's nearly 17 miles on delivery. I think these are stats which can be believed.
-
Dazsw
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 28
- Joined: 17 Feb 2013, 17:36
- Gender: Male
Re: How many miles is your walk?
Last edited by Dazsw on 09 Dec 2015, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
-
Dazsw
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 28
- Joined: 17 Feb 2013, 17:36
- Gender: Male
Re: How many miles is your walk?
Rather than being bonkers or deluded it's actually realistic.
I see you are now mentioning average speeds over the duty, in that case it would be around 3mph averaged or so for a 12/13 mile duty.
Now if walking at 4-4.5mph that would work out at 16-18 miles without stopping, which again is easily doable, I've covered a longer distance than that when out hill walking at the same pace.
Out on delivery still walking at 4 - 4.5mph most of the time then having to stop at doors with parcels etc over the 12 miles or so the average speed would be around 3mph, but main walking speed 4-4.5mph, up hills a little slower, down hills a little faster.
My duty also has lost of dead walking, single large houses with very long driveways, etc. this ups the distance greatly.
I see you are now mentioning average speeds over the duty, in that case it would be around 3mph averaged or so for a 12/13 mile duty.
Now if walking at 4-4.5mph that would work out at 16-18 miles without stopping, which again is easily doable, I've covered a longer distance than that when out hill walking at the same pace.
Out on delivery still walking at 4 - 4.5mph most of the time then having to stop at doors with parcels etc over the 12 miles or so the average speed would be around 3mph, but main walking speed 4-4.5mph, up hills a little slower, down hills a little faster.
My duty also has lost of dead walking, single large houses with very long driveways, etc. this ups the distance greatly.
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Re: How many miles is your walk?
You might manage to maintain an average speed of 2mph while out on delivery.wannabeek wrote:Agreed 4mph on delivery is a bonkers claim.
However I don't see why you say that it is 'unquestioning stupidity' of me to believe the stats which I have posted. It said my daily average was 11.6 miles. Take off a couple of miles or so for non-delivery activity and that means a 4.5hr walking day doing about 9.5 miles. Works out at 2.1mph, which I think any fit adult would find a comfortable, non-hurried pace on delivery.
I have mapped the streets of several deliveries in my office and though having to guesstimate the length and numbers of driveways, none are more than 5 miles.
It would give an average speed of closer to 1.5mph.
I know the speed I need to run at to run a 6 minute mile. I know what it is like to walk a 15 minute mile. I am nowhere near that while on delivery and having watched a lot of my colleagues I know they aren't either.
If the duties were as long as some on here like to think then why are most posties overweight?
Now I know men face particular problems as they approach middle age as their testosterone levels drop and their oestrogen levels rise. (That is why they get that thing they lovingly refer to as a beer belly when it is nothing of the sort.)
If they were doing the levels of exercise they claim they would counteract that drop in testosterone with an increase in adrenalin, and lose that fat but they don't.
I don't even break into a sweat on delivery because it isn't that arduous.
Nowhere near 4mph. And not close to 2mph for most of them out there. It makes a 4 hour delivery about 6 miles tops.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: How many miles is your walk?
Oh sorry. So according to georoute I actually only walked six miles today. Silly me, how could I be so daft to think otherwise!
I walked six miles with a small child in a backpack last month so I think I know what that feels like. It was a road by the way, with milestones.
Most posties are overweight? Is that true? Astounding if so. I would not myself have believed that to be true. Maybe 10% at most sounds more realistic.
I walked six miles with a small child in a backpack last month so I think I know what that feels like. It was a road by the way, with milestones.
Most posties are overweight? Is that true? Astounding if so. I would not myself have believed that to be true. Maybe 10% at most sounds more realistic.
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Re: How many miles is your walk?
Out of 60 delivery staff in m DO I would say at least 50 are overweight. And every single firms/oversize packet driver.wannabeek wrote: Most posties are overweight? Is that true? Astounding if so. I would not myself have believed that to be true. Maybe 10% at most sounds more realistic.
Do you think your colleagues assertion that he averages 3mph on delivery is realistic?
Is it likely he is 50% faster than you on average over the delivery?
Here is another remark.
Outside of xmas pressure I have never needed to claim extended delivery overtime. Never in 10 years.
If I am dawdling along at 1.5mph when really you need to go at 3mph, surely I would be going over every day? So why don't I?
So do you complete your delivery span within the time allocated or do you go over?
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16716
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
How many miles is your walk?
So was I the only one who saw Ian Beale watching his steps count increasing as he whisked his eggs?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.