ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Gadgets for Postmen

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
cyrus
Posts: 215
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:38
Gender: Male

Re: Gadgets for Postmen

Post by cyrus »

DB1100 wrote:
cyrus wrote:
bostaph wrote:
wannabeek wrote:I love gadgets. I hope I don't get wrong for advertising but I think this is a pretty good wish-list for a postman with Christmas coming:

Waterproof cagoule (which is actually waterproof!!)
https://www.montane.co.uk/en/men/clothi ... mic-jacket

Cap with integral light:
http://panthervision.co.uk/powercap-4-led-stealth.html

Utility belt, Batman style:
https://www.niton999.co.uk/clothing-acc ... l?___SID=U

Waterproof gloves:
http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/spor ... oves-olive

Rechargeable handwarmer for when waiting for a partner between loops in the snow:
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/43822/HotRox- ... 24224643:s

Fitbit - HOW many calories did I burn today OMG! Give me another slice of Xmas pud!
https://www.fitbit.com/uk/surge

Make sure you get the Bounts membership with that Fitbit to make it pay for itself:
https://www.bounts.it/

Pen cord, useful to keep your keys on too:
http://www.ryman.co.uk/ryman-coloured-badge-reel

And something for the cheapskates who will only get something at Poundland for you anyway:
http://www.poundland.co.uk/10-pk-retractable-pens

Any more suggestions to add to my list?
Having just bought a Berghaus waterproof jacket to wear under my supposedly RM storm proof jacket (also on the lookout for waterproof gloves and cap, and gaiters), I was wondering if anyone else is spending their own money just so they can stay warm and dry?
I spend a fortune on clothes.RM's uniform is not fit for purpose. Gore wind stopper jackets,Woolpower thermals and Dexshell water proof socks, better than Sealskinz (I wear a merino sock liner with them as well with them). I think I must have spent over a £1000 spent on socks alone.
A lot of people don't realise the importance of good sock's till it's too late,bridgedale trekkers are my favourite.
Snap! got them...and I've got the Bridgedale Summit's for winter and nearly every type of sock they make.
White Van
PARCELFORCE
Posts: 39
Joined: 05 Apr 2015, 22:34
Gender: Male
Location: PFW

Re: Gadgets for Postmen

Post by White Van »

OK, I've made this work for Devon and Somerset on an Android smart phone for those addresses that are rural or just a PITA to find. I'm using a public mapping service and a browser from the official Play store.

1. Download the Puffin browser from the Play Store

2. Turn the phone to landscape and paste this address into the URL: http://gis.devon.gov.uk/basedata/viewer ... greeninfra" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3. Swipe to enlarge and tap the GAZ button and enter the PC of the address

4. Swipe to scroll the addresses in the area until you find the one that you are looking for

5. Tap the address and it will appear on the map along with adjacent properties

If you have a few rurals that you're not sure of then simply hold down the power and volume down buttons on your phone to take a screenshot rather than trying to connect to the internet in the middle of bugger all.

If you use similar mapping tools in your area then please PM them to me and I will try to get them to work on mobile devices.

I'm looking to amalgamate this into a satnav environment so that you can literally be guided to the door.
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: Gadgets for Postmen

Post by Nondescript »

Bionic knees and hips will get my money. And Eagle eyes to read the tiny wirting on those cheap Chinese packets.