ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
lucky escape
Posts: 13
Joined: 21 Oct 2014, 21:48
Gender: Female

Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!

Post by lucky escape »

zx135 I kept my full time hours when I transferred. debs6363 is right,my seniority didn't apply for the first 6 months after my transfer.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!

Post by DB1100 »

greengiant wrote:
Grahammatthews wrote:Think what u like but it means nothing now. People get what they won't by saying they have a disability
That is an outrageous comment! :evil/mad[/quote
Ignore him,he's just a fool after attention,most likely sat in his bedsit smelling of cheap fags and supermarket vodka with nothing else to do.
For we were soldiers once,and young
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

lucky escape wrote:zx135 I kept my full time hours when I transferred. debs6363 is right,my seniority didn't apply for the first 6 months after my transfer.
your seniority should have applied, there is nothing in any agreement which states theres a six month period before it does

as for keeping your full time hours, that should not have happened(assuming there was a pt staff member in the new office wanting ft hours) the vacancy you got should have been offered internally in the office first and the resultant usually part time vacancy is the one you should have got, so yes there are staff who are unhappy below you as you have a better pick than they do and rightly so for you, but just remember they could have quite easily raised a grievance if they knew the transfer rules and got your full time hours vacancy, so a have a little sympathy for them as you got something that you may not have deserved
lucky escape
Posts: 13
Joined: 21 Oct 2014, 21:48
Gender: Female

Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!

Post by lucky escape »

zx135 apparently the 6 months freeze was something that was agreed by the reps in the office I transferred to.
All the part time staff were asked if they wanted an increase in hours prior to me transferring but didn't/couldn't.
When I transferred the office was seriously short staffed and has taken on 6 new members of staff since I started there.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!

Post by postslippete »

I totally agree with seniority


If someone has worked 20 years at another depot and has been forced to relocate through no fault of their own, then why shouldn't their seniority apply in another office??

Its the total disregard of seniority that is the main problem. I accept that some posties may have medical conditions which means they initially got put on easier duties but one does wonder about that when they are now finishing their rounds well before everyone else three years later? The other thing is simply putting other posties on fixed duties whenever someone has left the business; without the duties being advertised.

So what we have ended up with in our office is that some staff who have worked there for just 3 years having their hours increased to full-time and being put on fixed full-time duties, whilst some guys who have worked their for 10 years and are still part-time (and do want the full-time hours) who are still working as leave reserves and floaters!!! :shock: Now that is something that is totally wrong. But then again, how could a rep rectify what some bent managers do simply because it was easier or more convenient at the time??
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
jaylime
Posts: 331
Joined: 09 Jan 2009, 10:27
Gender: Male

Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!

Post by jaylime »

The only people that complain about seniority are those that have no seniority......I did nights,lates. ..All the s**t....now I have a nice rural....22 years in.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!

Post by OnAFlyer »

Think yourself lucky you're not in our office, 20 years just about gets you 50th on the seniority list! We've had offices merge, CSS machines in where most of the operators came from elsewhere, and quite a few transfers from other offices.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!

Post by OnAFlyer »

jaylime wrote:The only people that complain about seniority are those that have no seniority......I did nights,lates. ..All the s**t....now I have a nice rural....22 years in.
Looooooooool 22 years in our office and you'd be on a sh!tty estate walk.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!

Post by postslippete »

OnAFlyer wrote:
jaylime wrote:The only people that complain about seniority are those that have no seniority......I did nights,lates. ..All the s**t....now I have a nice rural....22 years in.
Looooooooool 22 years in our office and you'd be on a sh!tty estate walk.


I quite agree. The sort of areas where the lazy sods expects the postie to give them a Xmas tip for ordering all those parcels
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!

Post by korky »

someone ft recently transferred to our d/o and kept at ft too despite quite a few pt with longer service wanting ft and told there will be no more made up either,
a few months ago i saw a 29 or 30 hour job at my local d/o advertised and got told if i go for it i'll have to drop my hours.
there is no consistency, its not what you know its who you know.
ikybear
Posts: 43
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 13:17
Gender: Male

Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!

Post by ikybear »

zx135 wrote:
debs6363 wrote:Because in our office, annual leave is given based on seniority. i.e. those who have been there the longest get first pick on annual leave

annual leave is not allowed to done this way, it's specifically forbidden under national agreements
Really? We pick our leave on seniority too? Well first 3 weeks any way then it reverses for the remainder...
I'm sure the first office I was in picked on a first come first served basis though....
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

ikybear wrote:
zx135 wrote:
debs6363 wrote:Because in our office, annual leave is given based on seniority. i.e. those who have been there the longest get first pick on annual leave

annual leave is not allowed to done this way, it's specifically forbidden under national agreements
Really? We pick our leave on seniority too? Well first 3 weeks any way then it reverses for the remainder...
I'm sure the first office I was in picked on a first come first served basis though....
yup really against the way forward agreement
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!

Post by krussel »

greengiant wrote:
Grahammatthews wrote:Think what u like but it means nothing now. People get what they won't by saying they have a disability
That is an outrageous comment! :evil/mad

Yes agreed it is, however it does go on.

There are some cases in my office where people who have no real medical issues have managed to be placed on extended lighter duties. Normally this is achieved with just one telephone referral (do will still use ATOS ?). This used to be called "swinging the lead".

Personally I have no real issues with this but think it is a dangerous game to play within the new private Royal Mail.

However I do have an issue when this brings about a change in office policy which then effects genuine people who suffer from a real disability.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

do will still use ATOS ?)

Yep but like the Emperor's New clothes all they did was change the name - Now called OH Assist.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!

Post by motherhubbard »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:do will still use ATOS ?)

Yep but like the Emperor's New clothes all they did was change the name - Now called OH Assist.
I think that was Sellafield.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.