Why would anyone work for nothing?!?
Let's face it, anyone who does this must be a right mug.
Stand up for yourself, grow a backbone and only do what you can.
The people in charge will soon get the message!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
the job in delivery is ruined.
-
BernardBresslaw
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 24 Nov 2011, 15:52
- Gender: Male
Re: the job in delivery is ruined.
I wouldn't do it off my own back, but if a manager is there and asks you to prep your D2Ds i'm not sure you can just turn around and say 'nope' and walk out. What was mentioned previously is correct though - it does skew your workload for the Monday. More worryingly we have people in our office, delivering the next week's D2Ds the week before, which I thought wasn't allowed.bustedflush wrote:They never have requested, they were prepared to let us go home (if we actually see any on a Sat) but many do it off our own back.BernardBresslaw wrote:I'm pretty sure a manager is within his/her rights to request you to do so, if you get back early and are within your paid hours...not that there are many managers in the office on a Saturday afternoon mind you.norm wrote:You've skewed your workload for Monday, plus it sets a trend whereby others see you do it and possibly do it in their own time even though you might not be.bustedflush wrote: Nothing wrong with that if you can do it within your time. I have finished early Sat many a time and thrown them off before my due-off time.
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2057
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Re: the job in delivery is ruined.
Your right it isnt allowed.Some have dates on when discounts or wotever applyBernardBresslaw wrote:I wouldn't do it off my own back, but if a manager is there and asks you to prep your D2Ds i'm not sure you can just turn around and say 'nope' and walk out. What was mentioned previously is correct though - it does skew your workload for the Monday. More worryingly we have people in our office, delivering the next week's D2Ds the week before, which I thought wasn't allowed.bustedflush wrote:They never have requested, they were prepared to let us go home (if we actually see any on a Sat) but many do it off our own back.BernardBresslaw wrote:I'm pretty sure a manager is within his/her rights to request you to do so, if you get back early and are within your paid hours...not that there are many managers in the office on a Saturday afternoon mind you.norm wrote:You've skewed your workload for Monday, plus it sets a trend whereby others see you do it and possibly do it in their own time even though you might not be.bustedflush wrote: Nothing wrong with that if you can do it within your time. I have finished early Sat many a time and thrown them off before my due-off time.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: the job in delivery is ruined.
I don't have a problem with people prepping households, when ever, if it's in the Company time. A few of our guys get finished early on Saturday and do as you do. Fine by me it's Royal Mail's time...Still. But as has been mentioned a few of the others see this happening and think, "I'll do that" but their clocks run out and they're doing it for free! 
It's a fact of life that some people have an easier ride in this job than others, for whatever reason, and they may have time to throw off all their households on Saturday. As a Reserve I object to being judged on what other duty holders get up to. I do the same job on every duty I cover. I don't have favourite customers and I don't creep around angling for Christmas tips. If a customer treats me like shite I return the complement. I don't care if he's Lord Muck of Muck Hill...and he's a good tipper. If there's no obvious Safe Place, or instructions, I'll docket them.
I throw off a fifth of households every day, in company time 1st thing before Mech. I'll stay on IPS for the designated time (and longer if requested). I may only take some of my Meal Relief, but I'll claim for the remainder, and I will claim Protracted Delivery if I want to go over. The only thing I will not do is work for FREE
Some offices are complaining because they're losing Duties from their office. This is partially the problem. Posties are doing their own thing...giving Royal Mail FREE labour and giving the Management the impression that there's room to cut duties. It's time to wake up guys these duty cuts will just keep coming year on year!
It's a fact of life that some people have an easier ride in this job than others, for whatever reason, and they may have time to throw off all their households on Saturday. As a Reserve I object to being judged on what other duty holders get up to. I do the same job on every duty I cover. I don't have favourite customers and I don't creep around angling for Christmas tips. If a customer treats me like shite I return the complement. I don't care if he's Lord Muck of Muck Hill...and he's a good tipper. If there's no obvious Safe Place, or instructions, I'll docket them.
I throw off a fifth of households every day, in company time 1st thing before Mech. I'll stay on IPS for the designated time (and longer if requested). I may only take some of my Meal Relief, but I'll claim for the remainder, and I will claim Protracted Delivery if I want to go over. The only thing I will not do is work for FREE
Some offices are complaining because they're losing Duties from their office. This is partially the problem. Posties are doing their own thing...giving Royal Mail FREE labour and giving the Management the impression that there's room to cut duties. It's time to wake up guys these duty cuts will just keep coming year on year!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
korky
- Posts: 797
- Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28
Re: the job in delivery is ruined.
shouldn't it be a 6th?Dorset Plodder wrote:I
I throw off a fifth of households every day, in company time 1st thing before Mech. The only thing I will not do is work for FREE
thats what i leave for my cover
-
BarnsleyLackey
- Posts: 349
- Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
- Gender: Male
Re: the job in delivery is ruined.
Dorset Plodder wrote:I don't have a problem with people prepping households, when ever, if it's in the Company time. A few of our guys get finished early on Saturday and do as you do. Fine by me it's Royal Mail's time...Still. But as has been mentioned a few of the others see this happening and think, "I'll do that" but their clocks run out and they're doing it for free!
It's a fact of life that some people have an easier ride in this job than others, for whatever reason, and they may have time to throw off all their households on Saturday. As a Reserve I object to being judged on what other duty holders get up to. I do the same job on every duty I cover. I don't have favourite customers and I don't creep around angling for Christmas tips. If a customer treats me like shite I return the complement. I don't care if he's Lord Muck of Muck Hill...and he's a good tipper. If there's no obvious Safe Place, or instructions, I'll docket them.
I throw off a fifth of households every day, in company time 1st thing before Mech. I'll stay on IPS for the designated time (and longer if requested). I may only take some of my Meal Relief, but I'll claim for the remainder, and I will claim Protracted Delivery if I want to go over. The only thing I will not do is work for FREE
Some offices are complaining because they're losing Duties from their office. This is partially the problem. Posties are doing their own thing...giving Royal Mail FREE labour and giving the Management the impression that there's room to cut duties. It's time to wake up guys these duty cuts will just keep coming year on year!
-
toomuchcoke
- Posts: 309
- Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Re: the job in delivery is ruined.
If you prep the next days each day then what you're actually doing is skewing your workload the following Friday. (Or in the case of a few of the rounds I do, the following Thursday.)BernardBresslaw wrote:I wouldn't do it off my own back, but if a manager is there and asks you to prep your D2Ds i'm not sure you can just turn around and say 'nope' and walk out. What was mentioned previously is correct though - it does skew your workload for the Monday.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: the job in delivery is ruined.
You're right Korky . I was thinking... 5 days work a week = Fifth per day!korky wrote:shouldn't it be a 6th?Dorset Plodder wrote: I throw off a fifth of households every day, in company time 1st thing before Mech. The only thing I will not do is work for FREE
thats what i leave for my cover
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)