ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Portsmouth letters get Southampton postmark

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Portsmouth letters get Southampton postmark

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/busine ... -1-7032651" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

IT’S been a staple part of the identity of Portsmouth – but now the city’s postmark has been dropped and replaced with one from Southampton.

City leaders have expressed their disappointment that all post from the PO postcode area now arrives with a Southampton postmark.

It comes as part of the closure of the mail processing centre at Slindon Street in Portsmouth’s city centre.

Leader of Portsmouth City Council Councillor Donna Jones said: ‘This is the first I have heard of it.

‘I’m disappointed. We’re a city and it’s important that we recognise our city status, particularly as tourists will come to the city and send postcards to friends and loved ones.

‘Portsmouth deserves and should have its own postmark.

We are a city and it’s important that we recognise our city status particularly as tourists will come to the city and send postcards to friends and loved ones

‘I’m going to talk to Royal Mail about this.’

Councillor Frank Jonas, the Lord Mayor of Portsmouth, said: ‘I would have thought that a city this size and the history we have at least deserved our own postmark.

‘To be linked with our “nearest and dearest” is probably going to upset a lot of people.

‘I’m disappointed that they can’t keep Portsmouth’s postmark.’

Flick Drummond, MP for Portsmouth South, said she is going to look into the issue.

‘That’s bad news,’ she said. ‘I want my letter to come from Portsmouth, not Southampton.

‘I’m very disappointed because it’s important that people know where their post is coming from – and Portsmouth isn’t Southampton. So I will look into it to see what can be done.’

Simon Hart, 41, lives in Havant. He said: ‘I just thought it was very sad. Everything says Southampton now – even from Chichester. It’s a tragedy for the area.

‘I don’t know how long it’s had its postmark but I think it’s over 100 years so to lose it is a big thing.

‘I tested it by posting a letter to myself from The Hard and it had a Southampton stamp.

‘It’s one aspect of the move from Slindon Street.

‘There were concerns over the jobs but the loss of the postmark wasn’t mentioned.’

Tom Norgate, 68, lives in Petersfield. He said: ‘Surely Royal Mail should have been consulting about having a joint postmark covering all these areas?

‘Something could have been done about this.

‘I think that Portsmouth should have some recognition.’

But a spokesman for Royal Mail said: ‘Mail posted from PO postcode areas is now processed at Southampton Mail Centre.

‘We recognise the concern some customers may have at the change of postmark and we are working on design and implementation of a new postmark appropriate to the Portsmouth area which reflects the recent changes to our mail processing operations.

‘First and foremost, any changes Royal Mail makes to its operations are designed to ensure that customers receive their mail as efficiently and quickly as possible.’

*What’s your view? Please comment on this story or at our Facebook page at /portsmouthnews or on Twitter @portsmouthnews
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Re: Portsmouth letters get Southampton postmark

Post by doorstepped »

Flick Drummond, MP for Portsmouth South, said she is going to look into the issue.
‘That’s bad news,’ she said. ‘I want my letter to come from Portsmouth, not Southampton.

silly Cow, it comes from wherever it's sent from!!

apart from that, who really cares where their mail comes from and who even checks the postmark!!
rainbowwarrior72
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 431
Joined: 07 Nov 2009, 11:14
Gender: Male

Re: Portsmouth letters get Southampton postmark

Post by rainbowwarrior72 »

Petersfield is GU not PO so won't be affected
Pompey Boy
Posts: 428
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
Gender: Male

Re: Portsmouth letters get Southampton postmark

Post by Pompey Boy »

So a postmark is more important than the closure of POMC, the loss of jobs, the stress of ongoing uncertainty about the future etc etc. We have been forgotten :evil/mad
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Portsmouth letters get Southampton postmark

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Tom Norgate, 68, lives in Petersfield. He said: ‘Surely Royal Mail should have been consulting about having a joint postmark covering all these areas? :arrrghhh
So Royal Mail should have been consulting the public as to whether "Royal Mail Southampton Portsmouth and Isle of Wight Mail Centre" would fit into the postmark above the date, time and an eight digit number? :thumbdown :wave
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Portsmouth letters get Southampton postmark

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

SoPorWig MC :hmmmm :hmmmm :hmmmm
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.